JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning on SBR'ing a 10/22 (I already have a Glock SBR that's in process and an AR SBR). My vision is a short rifle with an underfolding stock and a threaded barrel for my Sparrow.

I have two 10/22's, a stainless model from 1993 and a Takedown model from 2013. I'm trying to decide which one to SBR. The 1993 receiver is still in good shape, pin holes aren't terribly loose and it functions well. The Takedown receiver is obviously new and in good shape, but it seems strange to SBR a Takedown. OTOH, I feel odd spending $200 to SBR a 20 year old receiver. Not really sure which way to go here.

Any thoughts?

(Also, please no "why would you SBR a 10/22?" or "Why don't you SBR XXXX instead?" responses :rolleyes:)

I'd go with the new takedown. Probably easier to find another full length takedown front in case you ever want to convert it back for the day or something.

Hmm.... Interesting point. I hadn't thought about having a second Takedown barrel in full length.

Then again, I'll have the other 10/22 with the full length barrel already. I should also mention that the older 10/22 barrel is presently stock, but the Takedown barrel has already been cut down to 16.5" with the front sight remounted and the muzzle threaded for the suppressor.

I would do neither. It's about time for Bi-Mart to have a rifle sale. Just pick up
a new one and go from there. You are going to change everything but the bolt and
receiver, just start new and sell the spare parts.

Your old one (I'm assuming metal trigger housing?)
is a keeper, and no good reason to use a takedown configuration for a SBR.

Kind of thought about SBR'ing one myself, but ended up going with a TacSol
SBX barrel and Blackhawk Axiom stock. Right at 32" collapsed with the can on.

I would do neither. It's about time for Bi-Mart to have a rifle sale. Just pick up
a new one and go from there. You are going to change everything but the bolt and
receiver, just start new and sell the spare parts.

Your old one (I'm assuming metal trigger housing?)
is a keeper, and no good reason to use a takedown configuration for a SBR.

Kind of thought about SBR'ing one myself, but ended up going with a TacSol
SBX barrel and Blackhawk Axiom stock. Right at 32" collapsed with the can on.

You make an interesting point as well. Yes, the old one has the metal trigger housing. I like stainless and I'd likely send the stock barrel out to be shortened and threaded, although I suppose I might get a bull barrel; it's hard to say. Looks like Bi-Mart has the standard stainless 10/22 for $245.

I might have to work an extra OT shift this weekend to cover the new gun...

I would sbr the old one, and leave the take down as is. Especially since your take down is threaded already. I have one with a agp folding stock and a 5.25" bull barrel and love it, most rounds stay subsonic super quiet.

Do the older 10/22. You like stainless. The trigger assembly isn't really part of the SBR, only the receiver, so it isn't affected.

As for the barrel, you have 3 choices, buy a new barrel short barrel, buy a regular stainless take-off barrel and have it cut/threaded, or have the original cut/threaded.

Charger barrels fit the 10/22 receiver, but if you do buy one with factory threads, it won't have the sparrow thread profile.

Que will take care of whatever you want as far as cutting/threading goes. I'd buy a "new" stainless factory take-off barrel and have him cut it, thread it with the sparrow thread profile and rechamber it for improved accuracy.

Do the older 10/22. You like stainless. The trigger assembly isn't really part of the SBR, only the receiver, so it isn't affected.

As for the barrel, you have 3 choices, buy a new barrel short barrel, buy a regular stainless take-off barrel and have it cut/threaded, or have the original cut/threaded.

Charger barrels fit the 10/22 receiver, but if you do buy one with factory threads, it won't have the sparrow thread profile.

Que will take care of whatever you want as far as cutting/threading goes. I'd buy a "new" stainless factory take-off barrel and have him cut it, thread it with the sparrow thread profile and rechamber it for improved accuracy.

Que did a great job threading the Takedown barrel, I'd probably have him do this one too. Maybe remount the front sight and shave off and fill the rear sight, then throw some Tech Sights on. That will give me roughly the same sight radius as the stock Ruger sights anyway, right? Although at this point I'm thinking of just getting a whole new stainless 10/22 for the SBR.

I ended up getting a new stainless 10/22 and an underfolding stock, submitted the Form 1 via e-forms on Wednesday. I went with a 7.5" barrel, that gives it 1" beyond the folded buttstock. Here's hoping for a quick approval!

One advantage that the older 10/22's have over the new ones is that they run reliably with the Butler Creek 25 rd magazines, whereas the new ones will only work with the rarer and more expensive Ruger BX-25 magazines.

If you are gonna "cut it up", don't mess with one that has any potential collector value.
To re-work a take down that could have the option of a switch barrel would be pretty cool.
But it's not like swappin the barrel on a 10-22 is such a tough feat and a new 10-22 is pretty cheap, especially when on sale.
So, to me at least, it would boil down to "do I want to make it a switch barrel rifle?"
If you do, go ahead on the short barrel version of the take down.
If you don't, buy a new carbine to hack the hell out of.
Have fun.

One advantage that the older 10/22's have over the new ones is that they run reliably with the Butler Creek 25 rd magazines, whereas the new ones will only work with the rarer and more expensive Ruger BX-25 magazines.

My experience does not agree with this. (Sorry, Soberups)
Butler Creek mags, even the "Hot Lips" versions are not anything I'd spend my money on. Been there, done that. Not good. But then, I'd probably not even buy the BX25 cuz I don't think the extended mag is worth the trouble of dealing with the appendage sticking that far below the stock.

That's just my opinion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads