JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm familiar with the 110 series Savages, my 6.5 Creedmoor started life as a 12 FV in .223 😎. But for a variety of reasons, I'm thinking of getting out of AR's (again), and going back to a bolt action .223. The 25's caught my eye, but I really don't know anything about them, other than that it's pretty much a totally different action than is used on the 110 series guns, more like a scaled up version of the rimfire action. Not really sure it's what I'm looking for, I think I'd prefer a Howa 1500 short action, if I can still find one, don't want the mini action, I don't like the mags hanging down, or the release that you bump when bench shooting 🙄. Will mostly be looking for a light, handy carbine, like an AR, but without the Black Rifle emotional/political freighting 😳. Anyway, just looking for opinions on the 25 as a possible addition to the selection pool. Later.

Dave

Look at the Mossberg MVP line up. They use AR mags. My son has one of the fluted barrel varmint versions and it is very accurate in .223

OH as to your comment about the magazine hanging down. You would find that the metal 5 and 10 rd AR mags work extremely well with the MVP

I just went to the Mossberg web site and it appears they no longer offer the style of MVP my son has (of course not it is a great rifle). So I guess used would be your only option.

Last Edited:
Limited experience with them but they strike me as just what they are, a light, accurate and handy rifle correctly sized for the cartages they are chambered for, You do lose the Savage barrel changeability but that would change the size so it's all a trade off.

For what you are describing an earlier non AR version of the Ruger Ranch might be to your liking. Or the Savage Hog Hunter. There is also the Savage Scout but that has a magazine sticking out.

Thanks, guys. The one exception to the magazine hanging down would be for something that takes AR mags, seeing as I have a decent supply of 10 and 30 rounders. So the RAR was on the radar, but I hadn't even considered the Mossy, so thanks @Mark W. for the suggestion. Not looking for a varmint gun this time anyway, and both are available with ~16" barrels. I've handled one of the Ruger's, although I've never shot one, not bad but I really don't like the proliferation of all things having to be FDE 🙄. So that's a point in favor of the Mossberg. Apparently, they also use a barrel nut and floating bolt head ala Savage, so a couple more points in favor of the MVP. Guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one and see what I think, reviews are mostly good, but I've seen complaints about sloppy mag fit and bolt issues. And I guess I should get my AR stuff posted, can't get a "new" rifle until an old one goes away 😢. Again, thanks for the input, later.

Dave

The Mini Mauser is one I'd look at as well.
The Model 25 is a budget gun where the little Mauser is more of an heirloom for not much more money.
You can get flush mags for it, if you don't like the stock mag.
James Calhoon is the CZ 527 hotrodder

The Mini Mauser is one I'd look at as well.
The Model 25 is a budget gun where the little Mauser is more of an heirloom for not much more money.
You can get flush mags for it, if you don't like the stock mag.
James Calhoon is the CZ 527 hotrodder
Day late and a dollar short, as they say, CZ has dropped all the 500 series guns and gone all in with the new 600. Which is NOT off to a good start, there's already a recall out on them, and they've only just barely hit retailer's shelves 🙄. I suppose I might find one on close-out, otherwise I'm looking at used, and most of the folks I know that have CZ rifles are taking them with them to the grave. In truth, not really what I'm after anyway, the more I think about it and look at my options, the more I'm leaning toward the Ruger American Ranch. I have a bunch of 10 round mags for my AR's, they work fine shooting off the bench, so I suspect they'll be okay in the Ruger. I'm starting to think of it as a non-AR AR 😉. Later, and thanks for the suggestion.

Dave

Day late and a dollar short, as they say, CZ has dropped all the 500 series guns and gone all in with the new 600. Which is NOT off to a good start, there's already a recall out on them, and they've only just barely hit retailer's shelves 🙄. I suppose I might find one on close-out, otherwise I'm looking at used, and most of the folks I know that have CZ rifles are taking them with them to the grave. In truth, not really what I'm after anyway, the more I think about it and look at my options, the more I'm leaning toward the Ruger American Ranch. I have a bunch of 10 round mags for my AR's, they work fine shooting off the bench, so I suspect they'll be okay in the Ruger. I'm starting to think of it as a non-AR AR 😉. Later, and thanks for the suggestion.

Dave
Use the Search Engine "Gun Deals" for still-in-stock items and check the secondary market (Gunbroker, etc)

Recently I bought this one in .222 Rem, took about a year to find it. Shoots 4 shots
great at 100 yards with my load.

Savage Mod 25 1.jpg IMG_20220531_104647551_4.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks, guys. The one exception to the magazine hanging down would be for something that takes AR mags, seeing as I have a decent supply of 10 and 30 rounders. So the RAR was on the radar, but I hadn't even considered the Mossy, so thanks @Mark W. for the suggestion. Not looking for a varmint gun this time anyway, and both are available with ~16" barrels. I've handled one of the Ruger's, although I've never shot one, not bad but I really don't like the proliferation of all things having to be FDE 🙄. So that's a point in favor of the Mossberg. Apparently, they also use a barrel nut and floating bolt head ala Savage, so a couple more points in favor of the MVP. Guess I'm going to have to get my hands on one and see what I think, reviews are mostly good, but I've seen complaints about sloppy mag fit and bolt issues. And I guess I should get my AR stuff posted, can't get a "new" rifle until an old one goes away 😢. Again, thanks for the input, later.

Dave
Dave the only comment we have seen about Magazines had to do with aftermarket plastic mags. The metal ones my son uses fit and work very well.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top