Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Savage 111 260 Remington Project Finished

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by arjunki, Oct 27, 2010.

1. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

I decided to get on the Savage do it yourself bandwagon.
    I have been playin around with this project for a few months now and am finally pretty much finished. I may end up matching the barrel to the action which I semi dark gray parked and possibly darkening the stock but this is pretty much it for now.
    Specs:
    Pawn Shop special 30-06 long action reciever re-barreled to a
    260 Remington Caliber (6.5mm-08) (Just in case some of you are wondering why a long action for a short action cartridge? Well, it's not just because I can! It's because I handload and I want the freedom of seating my bullets out further toward the rifling/lands for potentially better accuracy while still being able the utilize the magazine.)
    25 1/2" magnum sporter contour Mc Gowen match grade barrel.
    Stainless Pillar Bedded in a custom (lengthened) Boyds thumbhole laminate stock that I specially clear coated.
    S/S Supply COMPETITION trigger.
    Xtra heavy stainless recoil lug.
    Versa Pod sit down bipod.
    Kick-Eez recoil pad.
    Topped with a 6.5-20x44 Vortex Viper Scope w/ mil-dot

PA270205.jpg
    PA270206.jpg

PA270220.jpg
    PA270223.jpg
    PA250194.jpg

2. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

I like it!!

3. arjunki

Thanx, I hope to get a chance to torch off a few rounds this weekend.:thumbup:

4. hendrixfan

hendrixfan Clackamas County Member

Very nice, I have been wanting to do the same thing with my .308 Model 11...

5. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

Beautiful! Not much more to say, it looks freakin' great! Congrats

6. BK13

BK13 PNW Member

I'm curious to hear how the McGowan works out for you.

7. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Nice lookin rifle: When you put some loads together, please let us know your results. Chrono if possible.. Very interested in the performance you get.

8. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

Nice! I'm a fan of the .260 Remington. Cool build.

9. arjunki

Thanx for all the praise gents! I took her out last Saturday and torched off a few rounds but weather was wet and I left my chrony on the previous trip so it was dead and I had no spare battery. I made the best of it though and was able to send a few down range at 50 and 130 yds. It only took five rounds to make me content to proceed to the 130 and then I was a bit tickled coz all the 5 next holes were touching at that range. Not to bad for in the midst of a rainstorm shootin out of the back of my pickup with the bi pod. Under an inch with mild effort and the first loads I tried. BTW- the loads are built from necked down Lake City brass filled with 40 gr. of Hunter pushin 140 grn. Sierra GK's.(Very mild loads) I think she'll be a coyote killin machine!That is, the ones the stock don't scare off! hehehe! :bluelaugh::laugh::bluelaugh: