JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all. I apologize if this is a stupid question or a post seen too commonly. But I've spent the last hour or so on Google trying to find information about legal shooting on wildcat mountain. Seems like all information is from 2012 or earlier.

I know the gravel pit up there and that little football field sized area just passed the turn off for the gravel pit are off limits. But if I'm looking at the maps correctly basically any area on the north side of that road is still fair game? I guess that's what I'm really confused about. I just wanna know for sure that I still can. Been a couple years since I've shot and I wanna get back into it.

I take pride in my community and national forest areas, always shooting respectfully, safely, and clean up any mess I may make. I just wanna make sure I am still able to do those things up there in that area.

Have not shot up there in yrs ,they where ticketing everyone shooting on the north of the road we got asked nicely to move along.

You can technically shoot up the first road on the left before the gate (and the trailhead road on the right).

However, it is difficult to meet the criteria required with the landscape as it is there - ie. not shooting into live trees and with earthen backstop. It can be done at a downward angle into the old road bed, but this provides only a short distance.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/recreation/?cid=stelprdb5422894

I would avoid shooting in the Wildcat area altogether. The area has long been a target for vandalism and dumping as well as reckless shooting and has left a very negative impression on people wanting to hike there. I understand the last 7 miles of Wildcat mt road is now closed permanently due to vandalism.

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=22442&hilit=wildcat+m

http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=22466&hilit=wildcat+m

Like I said I would avoid shooting at this area all together there are many other areas that are not in the vacinity of popular hiking or other recreation areas, this area regularly comes up as a subject of illegal target shooting and vandalism...

...and in this story reckless target shooting.
http://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20240&hilit=target+shooting+mc+intyre+wildcat

area trailhead sign Aug 2015...
file.php?id=57223&t=1.jpg

Last Edited:
The Forest Service is going to close the 2609 road - on the left/north - opposite side from the hiking trail- with a large berm that will be suitable for safe shooting. This will complete hopefully by November - as of now it is not yet available.

Hey all. I apologize if this is a stupid question or a post seen too commonly. But I've spent the last hour or so on Google trying to find information about legal shooting on wildcat mountain. Seems like all information is from 2012 or earlier.

I know the gravel pit up there and that little football field sized area just passed the turn off for the gravel pit are off limits. But if I'm looking at the maps correctly basically any area on the north side of that road is still fair game? I guess that's what I'm really confused about. I just wanna know for sure that I still can. Been a couple years since I've shot and I wanna get back into it.

I take pride in my community and national forest areas, always shooting respectfully, safely, and clean up any mess I may make. I just wanna make sure I am still able to do those things up there in that area.
I am new to the site. Can you give me the link to the map? I have not shoot up there in about two year. I have always shoot as you enter the area. I head left and follow the road up probably about 5 miles till the road end and comes to a fork in the road. From the Fork it has an open space on top where we can set a bench and get a good 100+ years to sight in a rifle etc. I am just not sure if those areas are available anymore. I know where my father in law lives in eastern Oregon. They have closed a few of the forest service areas and with public feedback had to reopen them because of the backlash.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top