Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

salt water

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by lowly monk, Jun 13, 2011.

1. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

We just went to a salt water system for our 30,000 gallon pool. Oh bummer! there goes my water storage. How do you de salinate? Evaporation? Distill? HMM.

2. Sasquatchvnv

Sasquatchvnv Port Orchard Active Member

I've used some desalinazation kits over the years - never found anything that worked. You might want to look into a solar still.

3. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

Reverse osmosis system, some hikeing style pumps can handle salt water. Last but not least I think there are some HTI packs on the market that will do saltwater also...

4. sadiesassy

sadiesassy Prescott Active Member

What made you go to salt water?

Solar stills work fine. There are Salt water converters on the markey - Think KAtdyn makes some

5. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

I don't see why it's any worse for water storage as a salt water pool than with chlorine in it. You'd have to filter it either way, can't just drink pool water.

6. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Corprate disision for going salt. We generate chlorine from sodium chloride. No chemicles. Boiling takes away chlorine not salt. Thanks everyone.

7. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

ESPECIALLY after filthy-dirty, booger-eatin', non-wiping, kids swim in the thing!! Y-U-C-K!!!

8. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

You don't have to have completely unsalted water. You can drink "brackish" water without ill effect. Thor Heyerdahls crew experimented with diluting their fresh water supplies with some sea water with nor poblems. It stretched their supply and the fresh water was going bad, the mixture lasted longer without having nasty growth in it, as I recall.