JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A day or two ago while in the area of Kuebler Blvd and Croisan Scenic Hwy I heard about 45 minutes of what sounded like target practice to the West Southwest. Is there an open shooting area there? If so, that could save me a whole lot of mileage.

I think you're talking about the bottom of the hill past Sprague high school. There's a quarry there, but the last time I was down there, it was clearly posted "no tresspassing" and "no shooting".

Don't know where you go, but Hwy 22 to the Little North Fork road, turn left, head in ~5 miles, just before you cross the Santiam. It's BLM land there. The logging rights belong to Freres lumber, but I've never seen "no tresspassing & no shooting" signs there on that tract, unlike many other parcels along the road. I've met a bunch of Freres guys there, and they said it was OK, you just couldn't block the gate. Plenty of pistol spots, and there's places where you can get 150 yards off. I never explored longer shots than that.
Use common sense, though. There's a campground right across the river from there.

Everywhere on Croisan Cr is private and has houses near by, including the quarry. There are no trespassing signs and it has frequent city and county drive by. There is no place to shoot in that area, and it amazes me that someone would just pull over set their gear up and start shooting on private land whether posted or not. Seems a good way to find yourself in bad situation.

Think about if someone stopped at your place and started shooting. "Oh hey, saw you had some property and wouldn't mind if I just started running some drills and practicing. " hahaha lots of places out towards independence and silverton.

Freefallen where at near Silverton and Indepenfance? I'm smack dab in the middle of Salem. Also have you heard anything about gooseneck rd being a no go now?

Silverton area would be; Crooked finger, Also up by drakes crossing, grade rd, phelps rd, abiqua has a lot of spots. Out Mahima would be Mcculy Mtn. Best thing I ever did was buy a topical State map that shows every piece of BLM and has all the fixed forest roads and main logging roads.

Freefallen where at near Silverton and Indepenfance? I'm smack dab in the middle of Salem. Also have you heard anything about gooseneck rd being a no go now?

My mother and i were just out Gooseneck Creek Rd way last week and it's all open and a little too obviously used. There are two places i saw that are specifically labelled as safety zones with no shooting allowed, but other than that, the main entry to BLM land coming from the 22 has signs posted for shooter info.

If you're interested in heading out that way sometime for a cleanup, i'd like to organize something. It needs it BAD. I don't know anyone in this area, though.
If you or anyone else here is interested, PM me and maybe we can set something up.

where exactly at in crooked finger. sorry i am new to Oregon and the Salem area.

Welcome!

Your far better off joining a club, than trying to find safe suitable areas around.

Much of even public land is posted, or the rites leased and posted. Might not even be posted, but the onus is on you to determine the status.

Not worth the time, nor risk (risk includes losing ones rites, if trespassed & charged).

We're members down at ARPC south of Albany. A quick hop on the 5, & a darned decent club.

I think there is rod & gun outside Cordon rd (not sure though).

For pistol Tritac has a very nice indoor range (rifle is ok as well including .308, just don't see the point beyond function check at there distance).

The club off Cordon would be Four Corners gun club a ways down State Street of Cordon? I shoot at ARPC and am thinking of looking at Four Corners if I can squeeze both into the budget--I belonged to three clubs in the Bay Area.

Four Corners is quite a bit closer and good for general marksmanship and some competition but does not allow quick shooting or holster work, where ARPC has individual bays, allows action shooting practice and just about everything else up to full auto.

Last Edited:
By the way, if you want to check out the ARPC (Albany Rifle and Pistol Club in Shedd) you might like to plan ahead.

Monthly Full Auto Match Returns

The monthly Full Auto match has returned as of July! Every third Saturday from 9 am to 3 pm we meet in Bay 2 (Bay 3 starting in November) to shoot full auto rifles and handguns, semi-auto pistol AR's, shotguns and an occasional .22 caliber firearm.

The new Full Auto Discipline Director, Mike Myhrvold, is happy to answer any questions you have about this fun and exciting sport. He can be reached at [email protected] or 503-359-4737.

Come join us and have a blast!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads