JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got a brand new Saiga 12 in a trade recently and took it up the hill to shoot it for the first time today.... Well, it was dissapointing because the gun won't cycle right. The shell gets stuck after every single shot. I was shooting Winchester 2 3/4in. (1 1/8oz.) 8 shot ammo. There's some kind of adjustment on the Saiga right above the barrel that I tried moving in different directions but to no avail.... Anybody out there know anything about these guns and what's wrong? All help greatly appreciated!

1) Screw in that adjustment until it's all the way in.

2) Unscrew it until the detent lines up and locks with the #2 setting. This is the "light load" setting.

I've heard the newer RAA saigas have trouble with the lighter loads. There are a ton of parts for them. the highest rated i have heard is Tromix. They make a couple of gas plugs that help them cycle on light loads.

I have an original EAA saiga 12 and it eats anything i put in it. sometimes it jams on 3" mags. but it varies on which manufacturer i am using. if the overall husk length is to long it catches. otherwise it just shoots and shoots.

Well took it out again today with the gas port set on 2 for light loads. Shot some more of the cheap wal-mart bird shot again and.... same thing of jamming after every shot. Had to hold myself back from throwing it in the river so decided to just finish off the box of shells and head home angry. Then I remembered I had 10 rounds of 9 shot buckshot that I had got in the trade. So I loaded up my 10rd mag, chambered one, and voila! 10 shots in a row with no feeding problems! So looks like my shotty is one of the finnicky ones that only likes the heavier loads. Good to know...

Well took it out again today with the gas port set on 2 for light loads. Shot some more of the cheap wal-mart bird shot again and.... same thing of jamming after every shot. Had to hold myself back from throwing it in the river so decided to just finish off the box of shells and head home angry. Then I remembered I had 10 rounds of 9 shot buckshot that I had got in the trade. So I loaded up my 10rd mag, chambered one, and voila! 10 shots in a row with no feeding problems! So looks like my shotty is one of the finnicky ones that only likes the heavier loads. Good to know...

Well before you throw it in the river let me know. I need another saiga 12. or throw it in the river but tell me where you threw it in so i can go get it.

So also I guess my next question would be, what counts as "heavy" loads that I would need to set the gas port to 1?

If you go to Walmart they have some shells that will say heavy field load on the box and they're cheap, give those a try they work great on my S12

The bolt carrier on those is pretty sticky until they get broke in too. Take off the dust cover and remove the spring and slide the carrier back and forth and you will see what I mean. It will be better as it gets broke in.

If you go to Walmart they have some shells that will say heavy field load on the box and they're cheap, give those a try they work great on my S12

The bolt carrier on those is pretty sticky until they get broke in too. Take off the dust cover and remove the spring and slide the carrier back and forth and you will see what I mean. It will be better as it gets broke in.

Thank God, I was looking at prices for buckshot and it's like a $1 a round for the most part???:huh: I'll try a box of that and hopefully that will cycle. Also I just found a new gas plug upgrade. Anybody heard of this or had any experience with it? <broken link removed>

mdarms is a good company. They are well known on the saiga12 forum. They make good quality products. If i was having cycling problems after a good break in period (500+) rounds. i would buy one of there gas plugs or a tromix plug. they are pretty much the same.

If after the break in + new plug you are still having issues. you probably got a famed "vodka special". you will need to either drill another 1 or 2 gas ports.

Thank God, I was looking at prices for buckshot and it's like a $1 a round for the most part???:huh: I'll try a box of that and hopefully that will cycle. Also I just found a new gas plug upgrade. Anybody heard of this or had any experience with it? <broken link removed>

I think you will find that it isn't necessary. Those Heavy Field loads are like $6 a box of 25. I was actually asking these same questions a few months ago when my new Saiga 12 had the same problem, thanks Physicsguy for the answer!

If you haven't converted your gun yet you can get it fixed under warranty. I believe it's RAAC that does the warranty work. The saiga 12 forums have all the info you need to know.

Regarding what gas setting to run your rounds at it. If it cycles on 1 then leave it on one. If it doesn't cycle then turn it to 2. Running high powered rounds on gas setting 2 can beat up your receiver.

I think you will find that it isn't necessary. Those Heavy Field loads are like $6 a box of 25. I was actually asking these same questions a few months ago when my new Saiga 12 had the same problem, thanks Physicsguy for the answer!

Perfect, I'm going to buy a couple boxes of those and try them out this weekend. I think it's a good idea too, to put a few hundred more rounds thru my S12 and then try the light stuff again to see if maybe after it's had a chance to break in it'll like the light stuff. If not I'll try that upgraded gas plug. I really appreciate your guys' help!:s0152:

Shoot it lots - takes some $ in ammo but hard to trouble shoot until really broken in. Give it some good CLP on all mating surfaces and then cycle the snot out of it, fire it a few hundred rounds and then plug in some of those light loads. This link is mine with trap loads:

IMG_2528.jpg

If you haven't converted your gun yet you can get it fixed under warranty. I believe it's RAAC that does the warranty work. The saiga 12 forums have all the info you need to know.

Regarding what gas setting to run your rounds at it. If it cycles on 1 then leave it on one. If it doesn't cycle then turn it to 2. Running high powered rounds on gas setting 2 can beat up your receiver.

Good info thanks!

Shoot it lots - takes some $ in ammo but hard to trouble shoot until really broken in. Give it some good CLP on all mating surfaces and then cycle the snot out of it, fire it a few hundred rounds and then plug in some of those light loads. This link is mine with trap loads:

IMG_2528.jpg

Man, I had never even heard of CLP until you mentioned it so I looked up and bought a bottle online just now! Seems like some really good all around gun cleanin stuff that I'll use for all my guns. I like your plan and am going to do just that when the CLP gets here. :s0067:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top