JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally, I really dislike them, and the one that I have fired was the worst handgun I've ever used IMO. The trigger probably tops the list of the worst thing on the gun, but they go bang every time it seems, and the price is definitely low. I've been tempted to pick up a 9mm one if I ever see them for under $200 used.

But some people love them, and have had great luck with them. Opinions are just that, everyone has their own, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. So the best thing to do is handle one yourself and maybe get the chance to use someone elses at the range to see what you think.

Personally, I really dislike them, and the one that I have fired was the worst handgun I've ever used IMO. The trigger probably tops the list of the worst thing on the gun, but they go bang every time it seems, and the price is definitely low. I've been tempted to pick up a 9mm one if I ever see them for under $200 used.

But some people love them, and have had great luck with them. Opinions are just that, everyone has their own, and everyone has their own likes and dislikes. So the best thing to do is handle one yourself and maybe get the chance to use someone elses at the range to see what you think.

Other than the very hard trigger pull, what didn't you like? Was it the balance or the sights or the grip size or angle or ???

I'm not questioning your statement - I realize you know your guns.

I have a friend who has one. He had the trigger pull lightened to about 6 pounds which is about 1/2 of stock, and had the trigger parts polished. We have another thread going here somewhere on how to do that.

Personally I really like that gun now. Jack at Dan Dee Sales has them for $280 after mail in rebate, and I've been tempted...

I realize that how a gun feels in my hand is a very personal thing. YMMV...

BTW the military (USASAC) just ordered a bunch more of them in the Allied Forces model (all black) in 9mm for Afghanistan... <broken link removed>

I don't discount for one second, why a guy likes a gun, and the next guy hates em. In my particular favored brand of guns, I've had extremely good experiences. The next guy, however, might have gotten a lemon, the first time he ever tried my favored brand, and will spend the rest of his life letting people know how much he hates them.

Anyway...I've owned just one, of the "economy" Sigmas, in .40 . Mine was an extremely good shooter, was easy to handle, and always functioned flawlessly. Because of that experience, I would not hesitate to buy another one.

WAYNO.

I had the 9mm with melonite. Got it new for a good price plus the factory rebate and 2 free mags (4 total). I never had any problems with it. It shot low with 115gr, but I like heavy-for-caliber bullets so I used 147gr ammo and it was perfect. I can't comment on the 40 S&W version.

The trigger pull weight is heavy, but I shoot revolvers double action so its not a huge deal. I think DAO has some merit. And as mentioned, the pull weight can be reduced. Still, the pull weight is heavy for ultimate accuracy. For most people these pistols are used for self defense and they are plenty accurate for this.

Conventional rifling is actually a bonus for some people, and the chamber might have more support than the Glock, but I don't really know for sure (or care, but some people do). The only downside is resale.

I now own a G30 because I want a 45, but the Sigma grip is 100&#37; more comfortable than any Glock in my opinion.

What do es anyone think of a S&W Sigma 40

I had one of the original versions a 40V if I remember right it was a gray frame with stainless slide. The only problem I had was running Gold Dots through it but after polishing the ramp it ran what ever I wanted. I never had a problem running reloads either. When these first came out Glock had suits against them for patent infringment, Smith won of course. If you are wanting a cheaper reliable carry gun I personally recomend them. :s0155:

The reason the trigger pull is heavy on the Sigma is that it has no other safety. I like that part. It keeps the sides of the gun smooth, and like a double action revolver, just pull the trigger and it goes bang.

I don't know why S&W thinks the trigger pull has to be heavier than their double action revolvers to be safe. As mentioned, there are two things you can do to the trigger. You can buy a lighter spring (Midway carries it and it's linked in another thread here on this topic) or there's another spring you can simply remove. There's a link to how to do that in that same thread here.

Both processes are fairly easy DIY.

I have no complaints about the actual trigger mechanism once the pull weight is lightened.

I also like the conventional rifling over the Glock, and I like the feel of the gun in my hand better too. I think it's very accurate.

As for resale, since the price right now is $280 after rebate, how much can you lose? I'd bet you'd lose as much in actual dollars on a new Glock. ??

$.02.

Other than the very hard trigger pull, what didn't you like? Was it the balance or the sights or the grip size or angle or ???

Well like everyone said, the pull is similar to a DA revolver, but I shoot DA revolvers all of the time and still couldn't manage to get a smooth pull on the sigma.

But as far as other things, the one I had played with was almost brand new, and it still had a very gritty feeling on all moving surfaces, and had signs of poor machining. Also I really disliked the grip angle and the way it felt in my hands.

But that's all biased stuff, especially considering the price point of the gun. Given the price that Dan dee has, these would make a great first gun, or a economical shooter for a current gun owner.

Well like everyone said, the pull is similar to a DA revolver, but I shoot DA revolvers all of the time and still couldn't manage to get a smooth pull on the sigma.

But as far as other things, the one I had played with was almost brand new, and it still had a very gritty feeling on all moving surfaces, and had signs of poor machining. Also I really disliked the grip angle and the way it felt in my hands.

But that's all biased stuff, especially considering the price point of the gun. Given the price that Dan dee has, these would make a great first gun, or a economical shooter for a current gun owner.

Yes it is a great price and of course they could be used as trading stock later on. I have to admit to owning one (9mm) that I got on a trade but it has never left the drawer since I bought it. :p

Of course we must consider the OP's location.

I used to have one.............. I liked it OK, but never loved it. It worked great and I can't remember it ever malfunctioning. 15 rounds in the magazine is a lot of 40 S&W! Accuracy was OK but not great. The grip was a little fat for my smallish hands. One nice thing is that the price was right - You used to be able to pick them up for about 250.00. I think they're more now but still reasonable. If they fit your hand and the price is right, I'd say go for it!

lol just like everywhere else the sigma's get bashed.

i have a Sigma 40VE Allied Forces (black slide) that i carry every day, i did a little smoothing on the cam and sear and the trigger pull is still about 8 or 9lbs but much smoother and breaks like a glass rod.

i also love going to the range with it and let people talk junk about it, oh the trigger pull is bad, its ugly, its not accurate then i proceed to out shoot them with their $1K 1911's and sigs.

if you grew up shooting revolvers then the trigger pull is nothing, or if you work with your hands a lot (im a mechanic) its no problem.

im not saying that im the best shot or my gun is the most accutate but its a great gun that is HIGHLY underated.

I'm not a big fan, but mine was reliable and comfortable, and the price continues to be attractive. I bought mine with an extra mag before the ban, and it continues to sit in the safe while others come & go, mostly because I couldn't get enough for it to make it worth the time to sell. It's a lot better than a lot of crap that's out there in the very-low price range.

lol just like everywhere else the sigma's get bashed.

i have a Sigma 40VE Allied Forces (black slide) that i carry every day, i did a little smoothing on the cam and sear and the trigger pull is still about 8 or 9lbs but much smoother and breaks like a glass rod.

i also love going to the range with it and let people talk junk about it, oh the trigger pull is bad, its ugly, its not accurate then i proceed to out shoot them with their $1K 1911's and sigs.

if you grew up shooting revolvers then the trigger pull is nothing, or if you work with your hands a lot (im a mechanic) its no problem.

im not saying that im the best shot or my gun is the most accutate but its a great gun that is HIGHLY underated.

Im not bashing it, I can just take my own opinions of it from handling it. It feels and looks cheap. If you have ever handled a Kimber, Wilson, STi, Nice SW even the old value line the sigma replaced, comparable rugers or taurus's its apples and oranges.. One cant even start to compare a well built 1911 to a sigma, that would just be retarded and Im not a 1911 fan.. I love my cheap little taurusPT145 and its twice the weapon the sigma is in build quality and aesthetics... If the Sigma works for someone then GREAT!! **** I have a rossi md58 38spl i get crap for, for owning and its worth its weight in gold.. As someone recently said to me "it doesnt matter the name on it, as long as it works well for you then great!"... You cant compare a Ferrari to a Yugo tho... Just aint gonna happen..:s0092:

Im not bashing it, I can just take my own opinions of it from handling it. It feels and looks cheap. If you have ever handled a Kimber, Wilson, STi, Nice SW even the old value line the sigma replaced, comparable rugers or taurus's its apples and oranges.. One cant even start to compare a well built 1911 to a sigma, that would just be retarded and Im not a 1911 fan.. I love my cheap little taurusPT145 and its twice the weapon the sigma is in build quality and aesthetics... If the Sigma works for someone then GREAT!! **** I have a rossi md58 38spl i get crap for, for owning and its worth its weight in gold.. As someone recently said to me "it doesnt matter the name on it, as long as it works well for you then great!"... You cant compare a Ferrari to a Yugo tho... Just aint gonna happen..:s0092:

no i wasn't saying you where bashing it, i was just making a statement because on a lot of forums a lot of people bash them.

now don't get me wrong its not the most expencive or the best looking you could say, because i do like a nice Beretta M9 or the M&P 40, or the classic 1911 or Hi-Power, but its a lot of gun for not a lot of money. ive got a good number for round count out of it straight out of the box and no problems what so ever.

and i do agree, you can't compare a Ferrari F430 to a Peugeot 206.

-snip-

Or another good hide-out gun if you have a three story house like ours and you don't want to get trapped? Or a good truck gun? For just $280? Hmmmm...

I traded mine to a friend who was fine with the heavy trigger pull, that's is their only problem...but it is very heavy! Other than that, they are cheap and extremely rugged and reliable. I now have an M&P from S&W that I love.

There is a reason that they are Cheap. It is because they are "CHEAP" guns! The fact that a government agency buys anything isn't always a good recommendation. They usually buy from the lowest bidder. You have to ask yourself: "What is your life worth?" Base your decision on that!

There is a reason that they are Cheap. It is because they are "CHEAP" guns! The fact that a government agency buys anything isn't always a good recommendation. They usually buy from the lowest bidder. You have to ask yourself: "What is your life worth?" Base your decision on that!

they are the same as a Glock, **** the Block slide fits the Sigma frame. the internals are almost identical, but i think the ergonomics and the looks are better then the Block.

and what are you talking about with regards to the "whats your life worth" statement.

ive been to the range MANY times where there was a person with a $1k+ kimber that can't go through a magazine without a FTF or FTE. and it hasn't been only one occasion that i have witnessed that, and no it wasn't the same person every time ether.

but my sigma has ran EVERY kind of ammo ive put through it without any hiccups.

so you really think that they just buy the cheapest guns? then why aren't our armed forces fighting the jihad with Jennings .32ACP's?