JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a carton of S & B large rifle primers today. I've only used the US manufactured primers in the past. Anybody know how these compare to the others out there. Are they hotter or cooler or ???

They will be used in short range / easy recoiling Garand loads so I don't think there will be any issues but figured it was an easy question to ask.

Thanks!

The ones I've used seem a little softer than some other manufacturers, so you might not be able to load as hot, but on the flip side they had some of the lowest SDs and ES!

Good luck and let us know how they do for you!

I bought some S&B SPP and loaded up some .40sw and .357/.38. The 40's did not work, and I am not entirely sure why. Light strikes on almost every round with a failure to ignite the primer. I've loaded thousands of rounds, with various primers, and I've never had a problem like that before.

There isn't much on primers other than manufactures claims, and of coarse user experience.
A suggestion asked of a gun writer recently, in one of the magazines I peruse, was to do an article gathering in depth and scientific data on construction, burn rates, difference of brands, and types like; regular , magnums etc. that is comparable to what is available for powders, was received favorably.
Though I have had no issue with my current line up, I am looking forward to the possibility of this technical data on primers as they have been essentially a black magic and trial and error sort of selection for me over the years.
If actually produced, I sincerely hope it holds some real meat and potatoes, and not just a promotional ad for one brand or the other.

There isn't much on primers other than manufactures claims, and of coarse user experience.
A suggestion asked of a gun writer recently, in one of the magazines I peruse, was to do an article gathering in depth and scientific data on construction, burn rates, difference of brands, and types like; regular , magnums etc. that is comparable to what is available for powders, was received favorably.
Though I have had no issue with my current line up, I am looking forward to the possibility of this technical data on primers as they have been essentially a black magic and trial and error sort of selection for me over the years.
If actually produced, I sincerely hope it holds some real meat and potatoes, and not just a promotional ad for one brand or the other.
There was an article published quite awhile back showing the flash and distance of the flame in low light from several different primers set off in a low light condition.

Problem is, that doesn't really mean squat in the big scheme of things other than magnum primers may be necessary when trying to ignite large amounts of gunpowder. Possibly necessary in colder temperatures as well, but that data has been countered as well.

Many times the compression of the powder will affect how a primer interacts with the burn as well.

I did my own primer test a few years ago using a known good performing load and simply switching the primers (9 different ones). I was mainly looking for variances in velocity spread between the different primers and a given powder charge.

One thing that came out of it however was a noticeable difference in group size with a certain primer.

Of course, you change the powder or powder charge weight and everything is back to square one.

I've used the S&B and they seem to fit tight... slightly larger than the CCI/Rem/Fed primers I also use.
They all went bang, but did have a few that felt like the primer pocket was crimped and it was a hard-press to seat.

I've used the S&B and they seem to fit tight... slightly larger than the CCI/Rem/Fed primers I also use.
They all went bang, but did have a few that felt like the primer pocket was crimped and it was a hard-press to seat.
Ditto. I also find they are a real bugger to get into S&B handgun brass; I usually use Remington primers in fresh S&B brass they seem to seat smoother. I've been using them in worn brass with loose primer pockets and they do a nice job of tightening things up. I do seem to get good sd with them in general though, they seem to be a quality primer.

I did my own primer test a few years ago using a known good performing load and simply switching the primers (9 different ones). I was mainly looking for variances in velocity spread between the different primers and a given powder charge.

One thing that came out of it however was a noticeable difference in group size with a certain primer.

Of course, you change the powder or powder charge weight and everything is back to square one.

Unfortunatly for reloaders like us … even using the same primer but different lot number might put us back to square one.

Last Edited:
Unfortunatly for reloaders like us … even using the same primer but different lot number might put you us back to square one.
True, but usually less so than changing powder or a different primer from my past experiences.

I've used a few thousand S&B primers, SR in .223, LR in .30-06 and .308. I used a thousand SP, don't know where they went but had no issues with any. I don't load hot. However, not long ago I used S&B in .35 Rem. loaded in the middle rage. Some showed darkening in the primer indentation, like minor leakage. The Remington 760 has a fairly small point on the end of the firing pin. This was never an issue with M1 Rifle or M1A firing pins, which were rounded but largish tips. So I'm guessing that the S&B cups may not be has hard as other brands.

My preference is for CCI primers. However, from time to time during the Famine they were hard to get. So I consider the S&B a kind of substitute standard that I've only purchased out of want for CCI. I no longer buy WW, I've gotten some of those that were loose fitting. RP cost too much for no good reason. FC comes in too large of a package.

When you think about it, primers are a complicated little device to get right in the manufacturing process.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top