JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was at the LGS tonight picking up a box of ammo and they had a take down Charger. I saw one a while back with a little suppressor on it and thought it seemed pretty cool.

Anyone have one? I almost jumped tonight and bought the thing but I couldn't quite get over the "too big to be a workable pistol, not practical for rifle use" aspect of it. I think as a toy it would be great but honestly I dont need another toy.

As small as it is maybe the take down version is silly, its an extra $100 but I would want to put a can on it down the road so having the threaded barrel is worth something.

Feedback from someone who has one? I am half temped to stop by in the morning and buy the dang thing

$359+ tax

DSC_0112.jpg

All of the new charger's have the threaded barrel and the bipod. The takedown models include a nice case while the non-takedown models have a worthless bag.

I had been looking for one of the old ones for well over a year. I even wrote Ruger asking them to bring it back (they replied - "no plans" less than a year ago). I just got the stainless non-takedown model (brown stock) this past week and immediately threw an ERGO grip on it. It hasn't even made it to the range yet (haven't picked out an optic). I didn't really see the point in the takedown version either. But like you, I am not entirely sure I have figured out "the point" with mine (non-takedown version) either. But oh well. :rolleyes:

And $350/360 seems to be the going rate on the takedown model, so your LGS is not gouging you. I do expect them to come down a bit once they are more common.

Was at the LGS tonight picking up a box of ammo and they had a take down Charger. I saw one a while back with a little suppressor on it and thought it seemed pretty cool.

Anyone have one? I almost jumped tonight and bought the thing but I couldn't quite get over the "too big to be a workable pistol, not practical for rifle use" aspect of it. I think as a toy it would be great but honestly I dont need another toy.

As small as it is maybe the take down version is silly, its an extra $100 but I would want to put a can on it down the road so having the threaded barrel is worth something.

Feedback from someone who has one? I am half temped to stop by in the morning and buy the dang thing

$359+ tax

View attachment 225670

As an AR guy you may appreciate this. A friend of mine has an AR pistol in .22LR and even with an EOTech sight and a laser on it somehow it got old after a few weeks. We both still shoot our S&W 22A's regularly. I have an AR pistol in 223 and it never gets old. OK, part of it may be that cheap Tula ammo makes a basketball sized flash out of the thing... :D

I've got a couple of ar pistols and they are a lot of fun, but I also have four 10/22's and they get shot quite s bit. I think maybe I'll consider a takedown 10/22 and fit a Choate folder to the back half. That seems like it would be a more reasonable gizmo than the charger

I've got a couple of ar pistols and they are a lot of fun, but I also have four 10/22's and they get shot quite s bit. I think maybe I'll consider a takedown 10/22 and fit a Choate folder to the back half. That seems like it would be a more reasonable gizmo than the charger
That is why you would want a takedown version; if you could put a rifle length barrel on it with a rifle stock - thereby legally converting it from a pistol to a rifle without any NFA considerations as long as you never had the pistol barrel on at the same time as the rifle stock.

It would be a great BOB or GHB gun or just for taking with you hunting. I shoot my Buckmark pretty good out to 100 yards,not MOA but I can hit stuff. I would imagine the charger with 12" barrel would do pretty well on birds and small game out to 100 yards scoped.
My friend ,who does have a few cans,bought 1 for this reason.
Even with a little scope it breaks down pretty small.
I mean how much room can it really take in the safe anyway? Post pictures after you get it today

I wonder if a person could put an AR tube on one and use a SIG brace?

Could a person legally put an attachment on it to put the AR tube on, NOT attach the AR tube, and leave it in pistol configuration?

I seem to recall something about ATF rules on pistols like the broomhandle Mauser pistol with the attachment for the stock, but no stock present?

I notice that it has an AR pistol grip. Also notice it is a pound lighter than the 10/22 takedown.

A person could also maybe ask Thompson Machine if they would supply an integral suppressor for it ala their Operative TD, but shorter.

It is too bad Ruger doesn't sell the takedown barrel/forestock separately so a person could attach a number of different barrels easily and quickly. Tactical Solutions sells barrels for takedowns though.

It would be a great BOB or GHB gun or just for taking with you hunting. I shoot my Buckmark pretty good out to 100 yards,not MOA but I can hit stuff. I would imagine the charger with 12" barrel would do pretty well on birds and small game out to 100 yards scoped.
My friend ,who does have a few cans,bought 1 for this reason.
Even with a little scope it breaks down pretty small.
I mean how much room can it really take in the safe anyway? Post pictures after you get it today

Even if I jumped today it will be two weeks before I could pick it up. Its a handgun after all and with I594 we have to wait 10 days even with a CPL.

All of the new charger's have the threaded barrel and the bipod. The takedown models include a nice case while the non-takedown models have a worthless bag.

I had been looking for one of the old ones for well over a year. I even wrote Ruger asking them to bring it back (they replied - "no plans" less than a year ago). I just got the stainless non-takedown model (brown stock) this past week and immediately threw an ERGO grip on it. It hasn't even made it to the range yet (haven't picked out an optic). I didn't really see the point in the takedown version either. But like you, I am not entirely sure I have figured out "the point" with mine (non-takedown version) either. But oh well. :rolleyes:

And $350/360 seems to be the going rate on the takedown model, so your LGS is not gouging you. I do expect them to come down a bit once they are more common.

by old one do you mean the full wood stock and non threaded barrel? Because that's what I think my LGS has. If you interested in that shoot me a PM and I'll tell you where its at.

Well I am a weak, sad excuse of a human being. I not only buckled and bought the takedown charger I bought the takedown 10/22 as well.

Not only that I left the store with both of them. I guess I misunderstood the I 594 wording. I thought all handguns where subject to the 10 day wait even with a CPL. Guess not.

Last Edited:
Nice! and Congrats.

And it's OK, we all seem to have "the weakness" around here. Welcome to the club - though if you already had 4 10/22's I guess you have been a member for a while.....

Enjoy and give us a range report.

It's true, I am a sick, sick bastard.

All the signs of a true addiction. Hiding purchases and fibs to the wife (No honey, I've had that one a long time). Self delusion (I really should have 6 10/22 based firearms). Other parts of my life suffer (tire's are bald on the buggy and its 1500 miles past due for service, but sure I'll spend $700 on .22's even though I already have 10 of them)

Yep, it's a damn disease and I am a sick sick bastard.

I had one of the first chargers. While a fun gun, I found it pretty useless, and replaced it with a Mark III Competition. The charger is already a reasonably small weapon so why make a take down version? Seems like a fix for a non existent issue.

It's true, I am a sick, sick bastard.

All the signs of a true addiction. Hiding purchases and fibs to the wife (No honey, I've had that one a long time). Self delusion (I really should have 6 10/22 based firearms). Other parts of my life suffer (tire's are bald on the buggy and its 1500 miles past due for service, but sure I'll spend $700 on .22's even though I already have 10 of them)

Yep, it's a damn disease and I am a sick sick bastard.

I still more golf clubs than guns. Which reminds me - I'd better get a new set of clubs soon. :)

There they be. Interesting things happen when you swap them around (of course I would NEVER put the 12" barrel on the rifle because anyone who did would automatically transform into Charles Manson)

I ordered a underfolder stock for the rifle, another $150 with shipping so that makes it a $500 .22 and I am sure it will need more gizmos before I am happy with it.

I have no idea what to do for optics on the Charger.

1022.jpg 10222.jpg

I have the takedown rifle with the BX trigger and a spare BX trigger for a takedown Charger. Nice to keep in the survival bag. Great for camping

The only use for the Charger, aside from plinking, is a mid range small game/varmint gun. The one pictured above seems the set up for that. Bipod and a 2.5-4 power handgun scope. I'd take one of those!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top