JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Time sure changes things. Ruger entered the market as the working man's gun that was strong and affordable. Time and inflation has changed that along with the market. 357 was losing popularity quickly and most folks are buying 9mm high cap.

My first Security Six was $87 nib and a wonderful gun all the way around.:s0093:

I bought the sp101 22lr new model 4in barrel Same thing!. Barrel was not timed correctly , had cylinder issues and it shot 4 feet to the left! 2 trips back to ruger got it squared away. Really good shooter now .This was a few years back though. But I hear ya .

So I picked up a 4 inch SP101 at my LGS, and damn but S&W's are just far and away better, out of the box. This gun is intended as a backup for my levergun (in a different caliber), but it needs some work. I've always dreamed of a Gemini Customs carry gun, and I think I finally have a good reason for it. I wanted a .357 Magnum with a longer barrel, but still light on the hip. Here are the glaringly lame quality issues with the gun. Taken with a grain of salt as this is my first purchase of a new Ruger:

First off, the barrel is not timed right, and doesnt make it to 12 o'clock:
View attachment 991809
View attachment 991811

Next, the cylinder drags on the frame when open:
View attachment 991812

An awesome burr is caused by the cylinder when open, possibly:
View attachment 991829

Finally, there are random attempts to melt corners or gross accidental dehorning, only done on one side:
View attachment 991830

All in all, the saving grace is the strength and ability of Ruger's guns to handle hot loads and all the material good for custom jobs... I hope, hahahahaha. Don't let hisbsway you from choosing Ruger, as I do think they offer quality guns, just not as much attention to detail as my S&W's. This one will be sent off for some proffesional TLC and will be back as a beautiful carry gun for outdoor adventures. I do wish it wouldn't cost so much to make it awesome
First off, I'm not picky but I'd be pissed off. Ruger's QC must have been asleep at the wheel when that one came through. I've owned three SP's (2 and 1/4" models) and none of them anything like that. If I were you I'd contact Ruger and send it back.

This seems to be too common with mass produced items. I'm not defending Ruger, but they are not alone in placing production above quality control.

Call them and demand a pre-paid shipping label and get that revolver returned. That revolver is not acceptable.

I have an SP101 in .327 Fed Mag. Fantastic gun, but I did have to send it in for some work when I first received it. The cylinder would lock up after a couple shots. Sent it in and got it back in a couple weeks. Works flawlessly and it is incredibly accurate. Dropped a coyote at about 25yds with it.

Last Edited:
This is the drawback of shipped to ffl/mail order guns. A well stocked gun at a gun store can be closely scrutinized and if there's something you don't like, tell the clerk to fetch another one and be quick about it.

This is the drawback of shipped to ffl/mail order guns. A well stocked gun at a gun store can be closely scrutinized and if there's something you don't like, tell the clerk to fetch another one and be quick about it.
I have done this. In fact the paperwork was already started. The clerk was happy to make the switch. Big box store I think, don't remember which one.

I have done this. In fact the paperwork was already started. The clerk was happy to make the switch. Big box store I think, don't remember which one.
Back in the day we'd check out like 4-5, not from a display rack/counter, from the box, and if all were equal, choose the one with the coolest serial number.

Ruger customer service is very good. I wouldn't spend a penny on it until Ruger makes the gun as perfect as they can.

I have a few different older Ruger revolvers and they're all great, and their lock-up puts modern custom shop S&W guns to shame.

I imagine many things produced in mid 2020 to present are going to be more hastily sent to market than earlier models. Ammo, parts, firearms, you name it. Since everything that gets made gets sold, the extra profits still outweigh the warranty work and for a publicly traded company, the bottom line and happy investors are King

So I picked up a 4 inch SP101 at my LGS, and damn but S&W's are just far and away better, out of the box. This gun is intended as a backup for my levergun (in a different caliber), but it needs some work. I've always dreamed of a Gemini Customs carry gun, and I think I finally have a good reason for it. I wanted a .357 Magnum with a longer barrel, but still light on the hip. Here are the glaringly lame quality issues with the gun. Taken with a grain of salt as this is my first purchase of a new Ruger:

First off, the barrel is not timed right, and doesnt make it to 12 o'clock:
View attachment 991809
View attachment 991811

Next, the cylinder drags on the frame when open:
View attachment 991812

An awesome burr is caused by the cylinder when open, possibly:
View attachment 991829

Finally, there are random attempts to melt corners or gross accidental dehorning, only done on one side:
View attachment 991830

All in all, the saving grace is the strength and ability of Ruger's guns to handle hot loads and all the material good for custom jobs... I hope, hahahahaha. Don't let hisbsway you from choosing Ruger, as I do think they offer quality guns, just not as much attention to detail as my S&W's. This one will be sent off for some proffesional TLC and will be back as a beautiful carry gun for outdoor adventures. I do wish it wouldn't cost so much to make it awesome.
Picky-picky…. Y'a know, there are poor indigent pygmies in New Guinea that would trade 3 of their wives, and six buck-toothed daughters just to be able to HOLD that revolver for 2 whole minutes

Best check yourself… before you wreck yourself! :s0118:

OK, not really… that's a crap specimen! ;)

That is a lot of issues. With so many I'd contact Ruger customer service.

A few years ago I purchased a Ruger SP101. It had the worst, grittiest, hardest trigger pull I've ever experienced. A darn pain to shoot.

I took it apart and there were full metal burrs in the trigger group. After a lot of polishing and some new springs it's a joy to shoot.

I hope you can get yours squared away.

I have one of the original SP101 from 1989, 3" bbl
trigger was rough, but nothing a Dremel couldn't take care of
shot it for 30 years, then the trigger locked up
Ruger repaired it for free and had it back to me in 7 days
they may have a QC issue today, but the SP101 is a solid pistol that will last you a lifetime
and their customer service is great - if your not satisfied, give them a call

have a GP 100 and a Smith 686
trigger design not even close to the same so you can't compare the 2
but the internals on the new Smith still had machining marks, same as the Ruger
both needed time with a Dremel to clean them up

then purchased a second 686 for my wife - trigger breaks at 6 and 2.5
I can't see a difference in the internals, but this one is much smother than my other Smith
what you get with mass production

The trigger on my SP101 was a little rough at the get go, but shooting it has made it smooth as butter. Only ever had one issue with ruger, and that was when the front sight fell off a 10/22 M1 my father bought. He sent them the barrel and it was fixed and returned within a week.
Just send it back, they have great customer service.

Man that is a lot of issues for a new Ruger!

Whats almost worse is the RIA 9mm 1911 I looked a yesterday in Bi Mart ($399) was literally flawless!

I came close to buying it as I have been wanting a 9mm 1911 and am considering a RIA, but it was the basic 'GI' model with the tiny, fixed sights and I want the 'Rock' version with the LPA sights, Beavertail GS, nicer grips etc.
Rock Islands are great. I took a GI model in 38 Super and had a Beavertail and combat hammer installed with the slide and frame tuned at the same time. The trigger was good to start with but now breaks like glass at about 3 1/2#'s. I've replaced the wood grips with the Hogue Rubber finger groove wrap a rounds and had Tim Copeland install adjustable match sights from Dawson. All told I've got about $800.00 in to this including the cost of the pistol that I bought new for the project.

have a GP 100 and a Smith 686
trigger design not even close to the same so you can't compare the 2
but the internals on the new Smith still had machining marks, same as the Ruger
both needed time with a Dremel to clean them up

then purchased a second 686 for my wife - trigger breaks at 6 and 2.5
I can't see a difference in the internals, but this one is much smother than my other Smith
what you get with mass production
I've notice a real difference in the action/etc. between the PC Smiths and the standard S&W revolvers.

My 3" SP101 came with a large machining ring 1/2 down the bore. They fixed it, but now I have a large burr where the barrel threads into the receiver. I haven't sent it back again. I also found several machining chips inside the frame.