JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up a 4 inch SP101 at my LGS, and damn but S&W's are just far and away better, out of the box. This gun is intended as a backup for my levergun (in a different caliber), but it needs some work. I've always dreamed of a Gemini Customs carry gun, and I think I finally have a good reason for it. I wanted a .357 Magnum with a longer barrel, but still light on the hip. Here are the glaringly lame quality issues with the gun. Taken with a grain of salt as this is my first purchase of a new Ruger:

First off, the barrel is not timed right, and doesnt make it to 12 o'clock:
20210714_115754.jpg
20210714_115557.jpg

Next, the cylinder drags on the frame when open:
20210714_115847.jpg

An awesome burr is caused by the cylinder when open, possibly:
20210714_120122.jpg

Finally, there are random attempts to melt corners or gross accidental dehorning, only done on one side:
20210714_115632.jpg

All in all, the saving grace is the strength and ability of Ruger's guns to handle hot loads and all the material good for custom jobs... I hope, hahahahaha. Don't let hisbsway you from choosing Ruger, as I do think they offer quality guns, just not as much attention to detail as my S&W's. This one will be sent off for some proffesional TLC and will be back as a beautiful carry gun for outdoor adventures. I do wish it wouldn't cost so much to make it awesome.

I don't have an SP101...but do have a Vaquero and can second that attention to detail is not Ruger's strong suit. I also have a Wrangler and it's interesting to note where more time and attention was spent on the Vaq...It's taken me more than a few dollars on replacement components, more than a few hours with a file, and a lot of TLC to get the gun working the way I wanted it to.

I guess you spend the money either way, up front or in fixing the things you want. If you go the latter route, though, you end up with a not-too-common gun, which is worthwhile (at least to me).

I don't have an SP101...but do have a Vaquero and can second that attention to detail is not Ruger's strong suit. I also have a Wrangler and it's interesting to note where more time and attention was spent on the Vaq...It's taken me more than a few dollars on replacement components, more than a few hours with a file, and a lot of TLC to get the gun working the way I wanted it to.

I guess you spend the money either way, up front or in fixing the things you want. If you go the latter route, though, you end up with a not-too-common gun, which is worthwhile (at least to me).

To me as well. I'm nervous for the day the SA bug hits me, I can already feel it starting to nibble.

To me as well. I'm nervous for the day the SA bug hits me, I can already feel it starting to nibble.
Power Customs...you can replace every small part on the Vaquero and then perfectly fit them to your gun...without having to worry about permanently modifying a stock part (you know, just in case you do ever decide to sell it...going back to 100% stock is easy).

Bummer... Too bad you didn't notice these problems at the shop. I like Ruger because they're usually a good product for a good price. I've noticed their pricing is going up, and to be perfectly honest, I don't believe that their product warrants the price.

For example, the Colt Defender can be had for around $900, but the Ruger officer model has an MSRP of around $1100. I picked up the DW ECO for around $1500, and I can't imagine that the Ruger is on the quality of it a DW. I do really like my MKIV though.

Last Edited:
It's possible that very few things are well made anymore. I had a Ruger GP100 that was flawless. Boringly good, not sure why I sold it. On the other hand I recently bought a S&W 586 and there are a half dozen little things about it that are shoddy and cheap. The rear sight detents mushy, and the MIM metal parts are crooked. The worst part it is the hammer catches in a "half-cock" position (not supposed to for DA/SA) which is going to require a warranty repair. Very disappointing, and especially for the money.

It's possible that very few things are well made anymore. I had a Ruger GP100 that was flawless. Boringly good, not sure why I sold it. On the other hand I recently bought a S&W 586 and there are a half dozen little things about it that are shoddy and cheap. The rear sight detents mushy, and the MIM metal parts are crooked. The worst part it is the hammer catches in a "half-cock" position (not supposed to for DA/SA) which is going to require a warranty repair. Very disappointing, and especially for the money.
I had an SP101 that was so smooth I thought the previous owner might have had a fluff & buff done on it. Pretty too.

Rugers are tanks. I had an SP101 .357 snubby and I was impressed with how robust it was, but I came to find that I didn't care for snubbies. Given Ruger's latest prices, I would rather spend a couple hundred more and have a nice PC S&W, like my 460V or my TRR8.

Man that is a lot of issues for a new Ruger!

Whats almost worse is the RIA 9mm 1911 I looked a yesterday in Bi Mart ($399) was literally flawless!

I came close to buying it as I have been wanting a 9mm 1911 and am considering a RIA, but it was the basic 'GI' model with the tiny, fixed sights and I want the 'Rock' version with the LPA sights, Beavertail GS, nicer grips etc.

Whats almost worse is the RIA 9mm 1911 I looked a yesterday in Bi Mart ($399) was literally flawless!

I came close to buying it as I have been wanting a 9mm 1911 and am considering a RIA, but it was the basic 'GI' model with the tiny, fixed sights and I want the 'Rock' version with the LPA sights, Beavertail GS, nicer grips etc.
I've been wanting that GI 9mm for some time.

crazy, ruger should take care of it. some of the best customer service in the industry IMO. i have a sp101 match champion, that gun is butter smooth and shoots like a dream

Shame on the OPs dealt hand with that example from Ruger. Owning a SP101, I can say that sucks. Especially if paying today's prices.

I have two SP101s and numerous Ruger center fire single actions.

My 4" in 22 went back to the factory for an issue. It was returned with items addressed that I didn't even ask for. It is a keeper.

My 3" in 357 has been a great shooter right out of the box. Likewise, this is a keeper.

Ruger's hit and miss just seems to be the technician quality on final assembly. A few years ago, I purchased a New Super Blackhawk Bisley in 44. I have never purchased a wheel gun as tight as it was. I literally had to spend time breaking it in. It is a fantastic shooter and speaks highly of the Ruger technician/smith who completed it.

Recently, I returned a Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt back to Ruger. It was unfired and originally shipped in the 1990's. I purchased it from a Gunbroker seller. It appeared to be put together by an someone who either lacked the skills and or the desire to quality work. It came back from Ruger with lots of new parts (including a new cylinder) and instead of shooting a buckshot size group at 25 yards...it now shoots fist sized groups.

In years past, I have experienced Smith wheel guns that had their challenges and Smith was excellent at taking care of the issues. I do not know where Smith's quality is currently at with wheel gun quality. I do know both Smith and Ruger have really focused in the past four years on semi auto production at the expense of wheel guns. Semi Auto handguns take less skill to build than a wheel gun. Semi Autos are also much more profitable for the manufacturer.

Last Edited:

I've been wanting that GI 9mm for some time.

Yea it was incredible. VERY tight, all edges sharp and clean. Typical RIA finish but very nice and uniform black color.
I had the RIA 1911 GI and it was very good quality for the money. It ran like a top and was as accurate as any other 9mm I had. I did wind up painting the front sight, and would have changed it out if it hadn't been pinned in.

Now the trigger on the one I looked at yesterday was consideribly 'heavier than a Rock model I looked at a couple years ago.

I say 'considerably heavier' because it felt like it might have been around 8 lbs and the one on the Rock I looked at was really impressive and felt like about 4 or less.

Probably just a case of the one yesterday just not getting fitted as well. It had crisp let off just kinda on the heavy side.

Now the trigger on the one I looked at yesterday was consideribly 'heavier than a Rock model I looked at a couple years ago.

I say 'considerably heavier' because it felt like it might have been around 8 lbs and the one on the Rock I looked at was really impressive and felt like about 4 or less.

Probably just a case of the one yesterday just not getting fitted as well. It had crisp let off just kinda on the heavy side.
Wow, mine was probably around 4 or so. Reasonably short pull and reset, clean break.