JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This one is special to me and I just finished mounting the sight, but while the Hogue grips are nice, and do fit my hands, but while searching for aomething else, it seems there aren't much in the way of grip selection for Redhawks. I was thinking Badger, but after seeing a set on a friends that just arrived, I didn't like all the gaps and sharp edges/ corners on them.

I have S&W's in .38 and .357, and although this is my only Ruger, I'm impressed with Ruger. Anyone into Redhawks or have any resources for them... Gunsmith in Oregon? Pics would be awesome!

IMG_20210306_230226_379.jpg IMG_20210306_225841_637.jpg IMG_20210306_225631_528.jpg

Last Edited:
What scope didja put on it?

You can see mine in this thread. It wears/ wore a Bushnell. I still have the scope but may sell it off, may not even hunt with it. I do okay on target without the scope. Surely I would not miss a grizz. :rolleyes::D

The very first handgun I ever bought was a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2 inch barrel with a brushed satin stainless finish. I lugged that beast everywhere I went backpacking. It could handle the hottest loads without a hitch. Sold it off when I got married:s0092:

I had a 7 1/2" 44 Mag Redhawk and liked it very much. In the ebb and flow of my finances it had to go back in '08. Now I have a 629 Smith with the 6" barrel. Both shoot very well, and in fact I've not ever seen a 44 Mag that didn't shoot good.

My Ruger Redhawk, de-activated since 1998, and a wonderful skittle gun - 24gr of 2200 behind a 240gr JHP - as lively as all get out.

1615123671924.png
This here are the very last ten shots fired with it before it went off to get neutered. Of course, crime figures in which none of any of my guns ever took part. 250gr SWC over 7.5gr of Unique - showing that at even 25m, single-handed shooting, this big old iron was no slouch for serious paper-punching.
1615132035339.png
My current Super Redhawk in .357Mag - Burris 2-7 scope and necessary mainland UK amendments.
1615123759703.png
...and ROA, too.

Last Edited:
My Ruger Redhawk, de-activated since 1998, and a wonderful skittle gun - 24gr of 2200 behind a 240gr JHP - as lively as all get out.

View attachment 838884
This here is the very last ten shots fired with it before it went off to get neutered. Of course, crime figures in which none of any of my guns ever took part. 250gr SWC over 7.5gr of Unique - showing that at even 25m, single-handed shooting, this big old iron was no slouch for serious paper-punching.
View attachment 838916
My current Super Redhawk in .357Mag - Burris 2-7 scope and necessary mainland UK amendments.
View attachment 838885
...and ROA, too.
I'm curious as to why the one up top was deactivated but the one below with the rod is ok. Couldn't you have added a rod to the one above and not had to deactivate it?

The very first handgun I ever bought was a .44 magnum Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2 inch barrel with a brushed satin stainless finish. I lugged that beast everywhere I went backpacking. It could handle the hottest loads without a hitch. Sold it off when I got married:s0092:

My Wife actually got me mine for my birthday one year, and a couple buddies helped her pick it out. I had no idea I wanted something like that, lightweight autos and snubs were my thing. After the Redhawk, a .45-70 and hunting came into my life, lol.

I had a 7 1/2" 44 Mag Redhawk and liked it very much. In the ebb and flow of my finances it had to go back in '08. Now I have a 629 Smith with the 6" barrel. Both shoot very well, and in fact I've not ever seen a 44 Mag that didn't shoot good.
I hear ya, I've finally made it to a place where I don't have to sell stuff, I guess with age comes a little bit of wisdom (dunno how much in my case) ;)

I'm curious as to why the one up top was deactivated but the one below with the rod is ok. Couldn't you have added a rod to the one above and not had to deactivate it?

Most cartridge-firing handguns were prohibited for common use in England, Scotland and Wales after the Dunblane Massacre of 1996, in which a known-pedophile with legally-held firearms slaughtered sixteen 1st grade kids and their teacher in Dunblane, Scotland, before killing himself. In the aftermath, 99% of all cartridge-firing handguns - legally owned by law-abiding shooters - were almost overnight made into prohibited weapons. They were all bought back at the list price prevailing on the day of hand-in. Included were all the ammunition, components and reloading gear, as well as all leatherwork and associated accessories. Over three hundred gun clubs disappeared off the planet, and over 150 small companies went bust.

Amazingly, given the apparent popularity of handgun shooting in UK and the already draconian gun laws, there were 103,000 handguns of all kinds except loose-loading BP arms, handed in. The cost to the tax-payers worked out at an equally amazing £9500 for EACH gun handed in. A few of mine were deemed of significance both historically and technically - they went for a LOT of money to the Ministry of defence Pattern Room, no part of the National Firearms Collection at The Royal Armouries in Leeds, Yorkshire. I had seven de-activated at my own cost [about £100 each], all the others went for destruction, so they say.

When the first one was deactivated, there were NO Ruger Redhawks - or any other handgun - that were made like the one with the long barrel and sticky-out bit.

The UK gun law says that a rifle must have a barrel longer than 12" and must be 24" or longer overall to be legal.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, Ruger made a bunch of Redhawks with 18" long barrels and sent them to UK, where they had the barrels cut to a less-Joker-like-length, in the case of Sabre Defence Systems, who converted the one that I have, to a tad over 12". The rest of compliance required an addition to the butt to make it 24" longer - actually 24.25".

In this way, the honest citizens of England, Scotland and Wales, could 'carry on' shooting what looks a lot like a handgun but in UK law, is actually a short rifle. the fact that they are generally called Long-barrelled revolvers is moot - there is no such category of firearm in UK legislation.

However, just like the UK-only straight-pull rifles and carbines that have replaced all semi-auto centrefires, the original firearm must have been MADE IN THE FACTORY as already compliant with the utterly ludicrous laws of the land. ALL Section 1 firearms that look more or less like handguns, the GSG M1911 pistol and others, must be a similar length, but only .22cal can be semi-auto.

Over in Northern Ireland there are no such restrictions - there you can have any kind of handgun you like.

ADDENDUM - Cimarron Arms will make you any calibre single-action you can think of - and ship it to the RFD of your choice for conversion. All for just $3500 plus the cost of shipping and conversion. whoopee.

Last Edited:
Howbdoesbthe Redhawk compare with abSuper Redhawk?

The Supers are beefier than standard Redhawks, they essentially use the same internal action as the GP100, which I find smoother and more easily turns that big ol' cylinder. They also have the GP style spike grip which allows endless options.

One of these days I plan to convert my Alaskan to a GP-44, basically the frame/barrel shoud of the Super is cut off and a standard Redhawk barrel is installed. Here is an article by the late Denis Prisbrey about the process.
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/news/articles/GP_44_Redhawk.pdf

Yes, love my Redhawk in 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel:

Redhawk 7.5inches.jpg

• Slicked up by a now retired revolversmith at WSI in Bellevue (now closed)
  • Added a red fiber optic front sight
redhawk cylinder to fit SW 44 mag moon clip.JPG
  • Had it machined for SW 629/29 moon clips by TK Customs too for faster reloads (great as I have one large set of 44 mag moons for both guns)
  • Love shooting at 25-50 yards.

Also love my other Ruger revolvers:
GP100 in 22lr
GP100 Match Champion in 10mm
LCR in 9mm

Last Edited: