JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ran into a too good to pass up deal on a brand new .308 RPR from a co-worker. My intentions are to use it a long distance coyote rifle at my parent place near the dalles. The coyotes there love to hang out across a draw, approximately 600 -1200 yds. My question is:
Have any of you needed more than the standard 20moa rail with optics in the 60moa turret range for 300 yd zeroing/ <1200yd distance shooting.

My plan is to utilize a Zeiss conquest HD 5-25x50 that I already have around. I don't want to dump money on the wrong mount given the optics adjustment capabilities.

Thanks!

If you ever need more MOA. They just came out with a 30 and 40 MOA scope base. I haven't shot my RPR 308 pass 100 yards to sight it in. I don't know anyplace, besides Tri-county, which I've been on the list for months.

Ruger Precision Rifle Accessories - Scope Bases - Anarchy Outdoors

Those look great for flat top rifles but I think it would turn a stock 20 into a 50-60 after adding them together? I don't math too good though :). I was thinking of using a 10 or 20 base but didn't want to over do it either once they add together?

Careful you don't go too far and aren't able to zero your rifle at a normal distance. For .308win, you have about -5 moa for your 100-200yd zero. You divide whatever the scope has by half and you should be at the limit of your turret, so a scope with 60moa of overall adjustment really only has about 30 in any direction, minus the 5 to get a zero. you can't go much past 25moa on a rail without running out of bottom elevation trying to sight in at 100. If you don't plan to ever sight in at 100, this could work out, just something to keep in mind.

You should be fine since the RPR has a 20 MOA rail already. Especially if you are planning on a 300 yard zero. With a 100 yard zero, I need about 44 MOA to get to 1000.

Based on your questions I will guess you're fairly new to long range shooting. .308 really isn't a caliber that is ideal for extreme long range shooting keep in mind generally speaking the effective range of a .308 precision rifle as defined by the us military is 800 yards. Granted they can easily be shot well past that but depending on atmospherics you will likely end up going transonic well before 1200 yards. My personal .308 with a 24" barrel (longer than the RPR) with a relatively quick load pushing a 175 grain sierra match king goes transonic at 1100 yards so 1000 yards is fairly realistic. For my rifle at 1000 yards I am looking at 10.4 MILs of adjustment which equates out to 36.98 MOA (we can round it to 37). With 60MOA of adjustment in your scope and the built in 20moa rail assuming you zero at 100 yards you will have a total of roughly 50moa to play with. Which is more than enough to do what you need.

To sum up a long winded response. A 100 yard zero using your built in 20moa rail will provide more than enough adjustment to get out to 1000 yards and possibly a bit beyond.

Obviously, its your rifle and your choice but some food for thought.

A possible option if the 308 doesn't cut it would be to swap the barrel. Ruger says it can be swapped out just like on an AR.
I don't know why Ruger sells this gun in 308 with only a 20" barrel, but that's how it is. The 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor have 24" tubes.

A possible option if the 308 doesn't cut it would be to swap the barrel. Ruger says it can be swapped out just like on an AR.
I don't know why Ruger sells this gun in 308 with only a 20" barrel, but that's how it is. The 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor have 24" tubes.

Its a tradeoff, with match grade ammunition you're gaining maybe 75fps by going with a 24" barrel over a 20" you can see the full breakdown of velocity loss by the inch here:
308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28″ to 16.5″)
You always have a tradeoff with barrel length as longer barrel is inherently less stiff than a shorter barrel of the same profile and that lack of stiffness will make it more picky with loads no matter how much...you play with it...the shorter barrel is also going to be a lot handier and helps to save weight on the overall rifle. The RPR line really seems to have been designed to cater to the explosion of PRS style matches where sometimes having a bit lighter more compact rifle can be nice (I know one of my match rifles has a 26" barrel and weighs ~26lbs and is miserable to maneuver and carry).

Its a tradeoff, with match grade ammunition you're gaining maybe 75fps by going with a 24" barrel over a 20" you can see the full breakdown of velocity loss by the inch here:
308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO: Barrel Length versus Velocity (28″ to 16.5″)
You always have a tradeoff with barrel length as longer barrel is inherently less stiff than a shorter barrel of the same profile and that lack of stiffness will make it more picky with loads no matter how much...you play with it...the shorter barrel is also going to be a lot handier and helps to save weight on the overall rifle.
Understood. I know the 308 doesn't "require" as much barrel as many other rounds to reach near peak performance, but to my thinking, I'd want as much performance (fps) as I can get with a rifle like this. I would expect a slightly larger increase by adding the extra 4", but not much. However, 100 fps difference on a 168 or 180gr bullet can really pay off at longer distances.
Disclaimer: I have handloaded a lot of 180gr ammo, but it's all 30-06, not 308 and that may be why I think like I do. :D
I do know I don't like long barrels in a tree stand or when sneaking thru the woods.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top