JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Ruger PCC 9mm rifle back around the beginning of the year.

I threw a cheap scope on it. It's fun to shoot; the kids love it. They bust clay target on the 100 yard berm, ring steel and make tin cans dance. It's a quick, accurate, easy shooting little rifle.

The problem with this thing has to do with ammo. My kids seem to think it's a 10-22 or something; they burn through the ammo like crazy. I've never been a high volume shooter. One box of 9mm on a range visit was a lot. Now they want to go through a couple hundred rounds at a time. Geez, it's like buying a go-cart and finding out it gets two miles to the gallon…. :)

Tell ya one dan theen...

One mans one problem is another mans easy solution. I bought my boy both a 9mm pistol and a PCC in 9mm. He shoots the he!! out of it and goes thru a lot of ammo.

Guess what he gets for Christmas? More ammo. A one stop Christmas shopping adventure.

:D

Last Edited:
Get some fun 10/22s
Oh yeah, we have them already.
"Are we bringing the heavy one that I like?" is the question I've been asked for years.

It's an old 10-22 that I picked up used back in the '90s, walnut stock, stainless bull barrel that I bought used cheap somewhere, nice vintage Weaver scope that I've had forever, really nice trigger that a friend worked over for me a long time ago- nice and crisp but not too light, just right.

That one is cheaper to shoot; it does well with cheap bulk ammo. It's nothing fancy, not a target rifle but more than accurate enough for our purposes. It'll knock over empty 12ga hulls at 50 yards with ease. It's long been a favorite for all the kids. It's almost boring how accurate and easy it is.

"Are we bringing the heavy one that I like?" is the question I've been asked for years.

It's an old 10-22 that I picked up used back in the '90s, walnut stock, stainless bull barrel that I bought used cheap somewhere, nice vintage Weaver scope that I've had forever, really nice trigger that a friend worked over for me a long time ago- nice and crisp but not too light, just right.

That one is cheaper to shoot; it does well with cheap bulk ammo. It's nothing fancy, not a target rifle but more than accurate enough for our purposes. It'll knock over empty 12ga hulls at 50 yards with ease. It's long been a favorite for all the kids. It's almost boring how accurate and easy it is.
I like it…. Wish I had your problem.
Only PCC 9 I have is an AR conversion ….. it is what it is but I'd like a designed 9-10mm.

Question on the ammo pickiness in the Ruger.
Production in 9mm gets better every day now and I don't hear about too much of anything failing… even steel.

Thought about trying the cheapest bulk ammo you can get? 16 cents?
Edit…. remanufactured stuff still should perform pretty decent mag dumping…. Or simulated failure practice

IMG_6109.jpeg

Buy it by the case... likewise with .22lr the way prices have bidenized.

I reload my own, but did end up with a few boxes of Fiocchi 9mm from Bimart recently, split a case with a friend, came to 22 cents per round. I thought it might be good to have a few boxes of factory ammo.

I've sure noticed a difference in accuracy with different ammo in the PCC. I have some of my own cast, powder-coated lead bullets, some plated ammo, and some premium ammo I tried in it.

When I first got it I was disappointed with the accuracy; the cheap plated bullets did poorly, all over the place at 100 yards. My cast bullets did better, but then I found that quality ammo shoots very well, inside 2" at 100 yards, which seems decent for this kind of rifle. I tried the 115gr Fiocchi ammo last week and they group very well too.

It was having jamming issues when I got it, but Ruger sent me a new extractor and that did the trick.

Before the Boybutt Banger's Ban, my main point to beef on the PC and it's PC-Charger pistol sibling was the lack of aftermarket support to scratchbuild your own so I couldn't set up a bigger version of a Modular Weapons System like my .22 Charger.

I have the same problem with my Ruger PCC….I love ringing steel with it at 100 yards , but end up going through the ammo. Glad I reload and stocked up on components a while back at yesterday's prices. It has shot pretty good with all the ammo I have tried.

I've been impressed with how consistent it knocks down silhouettes at 100 yards. Fun with a suppressor and 147 grain ammo. Liked it with the factory sights, but put a Burris Fastfire III on it and made it even better. Another feature I like is the removable barrel and fore end. Makes cleaning the barrel a breeze.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews