JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own multiple Trapper-length lever guns.

And I prefer a straight grip without the enlarged lever.

Lose the plywood stock, lose the inflamed lever, lose the threaded barrel, and lose the pistol grip wrist, and I just might own one more Trapper.

I have one of these short(er) barrel lever guns with the pistol grip and larger lever, in .357 . And I just bought the Ruger/Marlin with a straight wrist and small lever with a walnut stock. The .44, even with a nearly 4" longer barrel, feels much more trim and light than these new fangled Trappers.

Oh...and lose the bone-saw rail atop the receiver and barrel.

But they did get one thing right. The receiver sight.

P1020056.jpg

. P1000754.jpg

Last Edited:
I own multiple Trapper-length lever guns.

And I prefer a straight grip without the enlarged lever.

Lose the plywood stock, lose the inflamed lever, and lose the pistol grip wrist, and I just might own one more Trapper.

I have one of these short(er) barrel lever guns with the pistol grip and larger lever, in .357 . And I just bought the Ruger/Marlin with a conventional wrist and lever with a walnut stock. The .44, even with a nearly 4" longer barrel, feels much more trim and lighter than these new fangled Trappers.

Oh...and lose the saw-tooth rail atop the receiver and barrel.

But they did get one thing right. The receiver sight.
Those skinner sights are nice. More gun makers should just include proven sights as part of purchasing their base models.

The two most obvious issues are the railroad track atop the receiver, the dufus lever and the safety button. Somewhat less obvious are the laminate stock and threaded muzzle... oh, wait, I could put a flash suppressor on that! Or, (gulp) a "SILENCER"!!!
Personally I don't prefer the pistol grip stock, tho some do, so it should be an OPTION... The sight and stainless construction are great! Too bad it costs more $$$ than many will pay for a .30-30... I applaud Ruger's attempt to keep the venerable Marlin in existence, while remembering when Ruger produced good solid firearms the workingman could afford.

Neat rifles....glad to see Marlin back...even under Ruger.
Is the front sight on the "Trapper" backwards....?

Sure would love a plain wood and blued steel model....
I would really love to see a plain wood , blued steel with peep sights model that looks like the old Marlin 336 Sporting Carbine with the 3/4 magazine.
Andy

Not a fan of plywood stocks or stainless on a levergun but the current market wants it.
This one has merit, but the new prices are out of whack.

View attachment 1819006
Stainless doesn't have to be bright bare metal. A lot of pistol slides are SS but are also nitrided black (or have a similar treatment). My preference is SS for its corrosion resistance, not its appearance.

Not a fan of plywood stocks or stainless on a levergun but the current market wants it.
This one has merit, but the new prices are out of whack.

View attachment 1819006
I like this one and would be good with the "sbl' if they would lose the rail, the big loop, and the threaded barrel. I would be ok with the trapper without the big loop, and threaded barrel. I can work with the laminated stock as I have one now.

Hopefully Ruger will market some "Plain Jane" models and let people do their own thing with them from there. But I am not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen.
I guarantee you that Ruger is watching the market. There is a reason the 1895 in 45-70 came out first. It was the number 1 seller for Marlin, followed by the 336 in 30-30 and then the 1894. You'll notice that's the order the new Marlins have been released in.
What I'm wondering is, will specific dealers, Lipsey's for instance, team up with Ruger and release some extra cool Marlins?

A line of Retro Marlins would be neat....
Case Colored receivers....
Walnut stocks...
Various sight , barrel and magazine tube options....
Kick that dumbazz safety to curb... :D
Bring back the "Waffle top"..and even the old Ballard rifling...
Andy

Bring back the "Waffle top"..and even the old Ballard rifling...
Andy
NOW you're talkin!
From what I understand Ruger is still building rifles with receivers built before Marlin shut down. Once that supply is gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see Ruger change the manufacturing process which would also open up the opportunity to implement subtle changes, such as a waffle top.

I don't see them doing a waffletop unless they can cast it in. I have an SBL 336 on order. I like the rail. Opens up a lot of options such as regular or scout scope on QD rings as well as a red dot on a QD mount, plus backup iron ghost ring. Threaded barrel too. What's not to love?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews