JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$450
Manufacturer
Ruger
Caliber
Other / Not Listed
City
Klamath Falls
State
Oregon
For Sale:

Ruger M-77 in .458x2 American (Yes, a wildcat round.)

Bolt action, three shot

Weaver k2.5 scope, sighted at 100 yards

Leather Sling military style.

I believe it is a 1970 with a P.O. Ackley Barrel.

385 pieces of brass for reloading

shipping is extra. My FFL to your FFL.

This is one of the very most practical wildcats ever designed. It puts all the power of a "balls to the wall" .45-70 (think Siamese Mauser or Ruger #1) in a short action bolt gun. Brass for conversion (any conventional belted magnum: 7mm,300,338, etc) is literally everywhere. This one done on a legendary "Flat Bolt" early Ruger and is way cool.

This was one of the few rifles I did reloading for, mostly in this case because there was no ammo available commercially.
And, for the very reasons you would think, that brass was everywhere and reloading data , although scant for the cartridge itself,
was easy to work up using .45-70 data as a safe starting point. (Always start your loads at least 10 percent under Maximum, if you have never reloaded before, try three rounds, firing them, to be sure they won't squib on you. Also, be sure to check the barrel is clear before firing a second round to be sure you don't have a blocked barrel.)

As with all Wildcat rounds, there are plus and minuses to owning and firing them. For me, I needed a bolt action .45-70, but something I could push a little harder than I could out of a Siamese Mauser (they were older rifles when I was a "Young" man)
This round is exceptional for all North American game, including Bear. One of it's draw backs is, being a .458 sized round, they drop like a howitzer round. Beyond about 200 yards, it's more like dropping an artillery round on target. I have been told it can be done, but having grown up in the swamps of Florida and Georgia, my range was more often limited by visual range rather than shooting distance. In Florida you will find your range is limited to 100-150 yards or less, but more controlled by brush deflection, which was a reason for choosing the .458. In Oregon, the Coast Range Hunters face much the same issues I did in Florida, add to that the vertical distances you must consider, because packing out 500-1000 pounds of Elk meat as well as a full rack and head will either make a man of you or kill you. Eastern Oregon and Nevada are of course different, distances increase, game is much more wary of movement, winds can mess you up in an instant. As long as you are aware of it's limitations, it is a fantastic round, cheaper than just buying a .458 Magnum and downloading rounds and really, who doesn't want to own a wildcat once in their lives

IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Does it come with any reloading components , dies,bullets,brass? I'm a little intrigued about this rifle.
I am sorry, but I am just selling the rifle and scope at this time, but I might have some brass locked away in the reloading shed. If I can find it, I'd toss it in.

You just use 458 dies
Well, you could *IF* you knew what you were doing when using them.
I used a set of .458x2 dies and had a set of .458 Magnum dies that I started with.
I had everything for sale as a package a few months ago, but no one was interested, so I am selling the rifle now.

Cool rifle and round. I almost bought one of these in 2007 built on a Arisaka action. I couldn't afford it at the time. A few years later I found a 416 Taylor custom rifle. I'm happy with that as my "big gun".

Good luck with sale.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.