JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,I have a Ruger m77 long action that I want to rebarrel,I was thinking 338 ultra mag.The gun used to be a 7mm mag.Is the action long enough for the 338rum cartridge?will I need to do anything to the bolt face,or should I expect to replace the bolt?

I'd go with a 338win mag. Ruger has chambered them in the past in this rifle and the case is nearly identical but necked up and a COL a little longer by .11in. The bolt face looks like its .002in too small for the RUM. The RUM will only get you a few FPS and may require some serious work to feed properly. Your magazine box may limit the COL and the resulting loss of case capacity would cancel the minor gains over the 338win mag. I would bet that win mag brass would also be easer to find and cheaper too. It would be a good project anyway you go, best of luck.
As per my Hornady book:
7rem mag
head: .532in
case: 2.5in
COL: 3.290in

338win mag
head: .532in
case: 2.500in
COL: 3.400in

338RUM
Head: .534in
case: 2.760in
COL: 3.600in

Unless you're bored and looking for a project to do, if you are going to sell the project anyway, it might be a good idea to sell just the action. You never get your money back out of a custom project and if you sell just the action, then someone can turn the gun into their idea of what they want, rather than settling for your idea (not that your idea is bad, just acknowledging that everyone has vastly different ideas for projects).

You're absolutely right MountainBear,I've decided to do a 338wm.Looking for a factory barrel to put on it now and just keep the rifle.I suppose a guy can't have too many 338's.

You're absolutely right MountainBear,I've decided to do a 338wm.Looking for a factory barrel to put on it now and just keep the rifle.I suppose a guy can't have too many 338's.

Learned the hard way...

I've got a safe full of projects that, even with doing the work myself, I could never get out of them from what I have in them...

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top