JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought one just havent shot it yet. Your close enough to me so if you want to give one a try your more than welcome to come over and try it out.

Before you buy one, you might do some research on the ballistics of the .357 magnum when fired from a 1-7/8" barrel. And if you can, try to test-fire one using full-powered Magnum ammunition.

What you will probably find is that the recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle flash of a full-bore Magnum cartridge in an airweight snubbie is overpowering to the point that fast and accurate followup shots are basically impossible.

Since much of the extra powder in the Magnum cartridge is unable to fully burn in such a short barrel, the velocity increase for a given bullet weight vs. the same weight in +P .38 Special is minimal.

Most of the people who buy an LCR in .357 are going to wind up carrying .38+P in it once they experience the brutal recoil, blinding flash and deafening muzzle blast of the magnum cartridge in an airweight gun. Why spend the extra $$ and deal with the extra size and weight in the first place? The LCR chambered in .38+P is smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Magnum version, but is every bit as effective in terms of cconcealed carry.

Actualy recoil was not much more than the Satinless taurus 357 Im currently carrying.

If you are truly able to make fast and accurate followup shots with it...and dont mind the extra size and weight compared with the .38+p version...then it should serve you well.

For me, my .38+P LCR is strictly a summer time pocket pistol, to be used when I dont want to carry my Glock 26 IWB, so I want it to be as light and compact as possible. The .38+P version is about 4 ounces lighter than the .357, and 1/8" shorter in overall length. Thats a noticeable difference when you are intending to carry it in a front pocket holster while wearing shorts. And the only tradeoff for the decreased weight is a loss of maybe 150-200fps in muzzle velocity for a given weight of bullet, with a corresponding decrease in felt recoil and muzzle flash/blast. For me, the tradeoff is well worth it.

the only advantages i can see to the .357 version are...
1. longer ejector rod for more positive ejection
2. Slightly more weight to soak up 38+p recoil
3. Over built for .38+p (always good to have a safety margin)
Of course there is the possibility of accuracy issues due to the the extra gap (I've never seen this but...) and it is a pain to get a .357 cylinder clean that has seen alot of .38.
Yeah I think .38+p is the way to go for me, I hate that ring in the cylinder!

I was just discussing the LCR 357 vs the 38+P on the phone with my old buddy branch buster in Albany.

That extra few ounces combined with the longer and heavier .357 rounds that I'd be carrying in the .357 makes it too heavy for me to consider/

I will be ordering a 38+P version on Monday.

I was just discussing the LCR 357 vs the 38+P on the phone with my old buddy branch buster in Albany.

That extra few ounces combined with the longer and heavier .357 rounds that I'd be carrying in the .357 makes it too heavy for me to consider/

I will be ordering a 38+P version on Monday.

If those couple extra ounces make it too heavy for you to carry what have you been carrying? The 357 is my BUG for my Kimber when I dont carry the other one, and I dont even notice it there. The reason for getting it was it is lighter than the ultra light I have been using but with the added punch.

These should be enough "Punch" for me:

IMG_2191.JPG

Velocity: 1250fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
1.875" bbl S&W - 1125fps
Bullet: Barnes 110gr. TACXP Lead Free

Muzzle Energy: 382 ft. lbs. 4"
305 ft. lbs. 1.875"

<broken link removed>
(DT is SAAMI Member now)

A person isn't going to get true Magnum velocity/performance from the .357 LCR.

So paying for the name Double Tap makes it work for you I guess. Might want to look at other easily available rounds that are cheaper and perform just as well.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top