JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A couple months ago, I got my first look at the Ruger 9mm Charger. The fellow behind the counter told me that, if I had a pc9, I could swap the shorter Charger barrel to the carbine. I indicated my concern that, in about 30 seconds, I would have created a SBR. He disagreed. Still pretty sure I'm right. What say you?

Lol, that there would be some poor advice.

However I still like the idea of an SBR'd charger version in the magpul take down stick.

A couple months ago, I got my first look at the Ruger 9mm Charger. The fellow behind the counter told me that, if I had a pc9, I could swap the shorter Charger barrel to the carbine. I indicated my concern that, in about 30 seconds, I would have created a SBR. He disagreed. Still pretty sure I'm right. What say you?
It's legal to put a longer barrel on a pistol and create a rifle. You can back/forth all you want as long as the original gun was a pistol.

You can't buy the rifle version and put the pistol barrel on.

Q: Can I turn my AR pistol into a regular rifle?

A:
Yes, and you do not have to file any NFA application or submit to the ATF's bureaucracy. It's entirely legal to throw a buttstock on your AR pistol and turn it into a regular rifle if you first install a barrel that's 16″ or longer. Muzzle devices do not count as part of the barrel length unless they're permanently installed (pinning and welding).
https://crosshairstexas.com/converting-your-ar-pistol/

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.
Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/can-i-lawfully-make-pistol-rifle-without-registering-firearm

The takedown recieves either barrel. Prob why they dont sell barrels individually, so you'd need both guns to swap them.

But as already linked.. Its legal to put a rifle barrel on a pistol.

The takedown recieves either barrel. Prob why they dont sell barrels individually, so you'd need both guns to swap them.

But as already linked.. Its legal to put a rifle barrel on a pistol.
Wow, quite surprised Ruger did that. So many gun owners just stay willfully ignorant that someone will have both and stick the short barrel on the rife thinking it would be fun and cool. When one of them gets caught they will find out the hard way that the feds will not be amused.

Stuff like this probably happens more often than you think.

A person who say shoots only in the NF, with little LEO presence would most likely never be caught.
No doubt in my mind. What will really suck is when some poor guy who just really has no idea its not legal gets caught doing it and they throw the book at him. An amazing number of gun owners pay little to no attention to the rules. That's why I was surprised that Ruger did not do something to prevent this. If someone who knows what they are doing wants to play they will of course be careful I would hope. Some poor guy will be doing it having no idea he is on the wrong side of the law. :(

Since the Charger is designed to accept a variety of pistol braces, and you can't purchase the Charger barrel separately, I think I'd just spend a few extra $ and put a brace on it. Now, I'm afraid I absolutel must have one. Just have to figure out how many bottles I'll have to turn in to swing it. 🤔

No doubt in my mind. What will really suck is when some poor guy who just really has no idea its not legal gets caught doing it and they throw the book at him. An amazing number of gun owners pay little to no attention to the rules. That's why I was surprised that Ruger did not do something to prevent this. If someone who knows what they are doing wants to play they will of course be careful I would hope. Some poor guy will be doing it having no idea he is on the wrong side of the law. :(
I own both the 22 charger and the pc charger and both clearly state in the manual it's illegal. My Scorpion came with the same warning. If a person is to dumb or irresponsible to read the basic manual when the purchase a firearm they shouldn't have one.

charger.png

I own both the 22 charger and the pc charger and both clearly state in the manual it's illegal. My Scorpion came with the same warning. If a person is to dumb or irresponsible to read the basic manual when the purchase a firearm they shouldn't have one.

View attachment 1341921
I can guarantee a LOT of people who own a gun have never opened the manual much less read it. The old saying ignorance of the law is no excuse will certainly come to play here. I have read some absolutely amazing stuff since joining the net and "gun groups". A shocking number of gun owners have no clue how laws work and they keep passing more of them. So I guess there is a hell of a lot of gun owners who should not own one alright. Given your point of view though these people should not own a Car, lawn mower, blender, hair dryer, or even be allowed to use electricity. Local talk guy here decades back one day when just vamping for time said "25% of the kids now graduate functional illiterates, we should remove the warning labels from everything and let nature take its course". At the time I thought it was pretty funny and accurate. As time has passed I think the percentage has gone up a little though. Seems we must be getting into like 40% now from what I see at work. :s0092:

I can guarantee a LOT of people who own a gun have never opened the manual much less read it. The old saying ignorance of the law is no excuse will certainly come to play here. I have read some absolutely amazing stuff since joining the net and "gun groups". A shocking number of gun owners have no clue how laws work and they keep passing more of them. So I guess there is a hell of a lot of gun owners who should not own one alright. Given your point of view though these people should not own a Car, lawn mower, blender, hair dryer, or even be allowed to use electricity. Local talk guy here decades back one day when just vamping for time said "25% of the kids now graduate functional illiterates, we should remove the warning labels from everything and let nature take its course". At the time I thought it was pretty funny and accurate. As time has passed I think the percentage has gone up a little though. Seems we must be getting into like 40% now from what I see at work. :s0092:
As we continuously see all the time that's absolutely correct. If there weren't so many irresponsible morons that owned guns there wouldn't be so many non-gun owners voting for and passing these new bubblegumty laws. Not to say the entire SBR vs Rifle definitions are also illogical and make no sense.. but that's beside the point

Wow, quite surprised Ruger did that. So many gun owners just stay willfully ignorant that someone will have both and stick the short barrel on the rife thinking it would be fun and cool. When one of them gets caught they will find out the hard way that the feds will not be amused.
They have done it with the 10/22 and the charger for years.

I would, personally, have no issue with a fellow shooter swapping things back and forth as they desired. I would certainly hesitate to call them moronic, or blame them for the plethora of unconstitutional gun laws handed down by local, state and federal lawmakers. Most recently, those of us in the PNW have been sodomized by VOTER APPROVED initiatives. Of course, I fully understand that virtually EVERY gun law ever passed is an assault on my constitutional rights. I would hope the rest of the 2A community would understand that as well and not be so quick to vilify others for failing to "bend the knee".

I would, personally, have no issue with a fellow shooter swapping things back and forth as they desired. I would certainly hesitate to call them moronic, or blame them for the plethora of unconstitutional gun laws handed down by local, state and federal lawmakers. Most recently, those of us in the PNW have been sodomized by VOTER APPROVED initiatives. Of course, I fully understand that virtually EVERY gun law ever passed is an assault on my constitutional rights. I would hope the rest of the 2A community would understand that as well and not be so quick to vilify others for failing to "bend the knee".
whether we agree with the laws or not, being ignorant of them / breaking them only hurts the "2A community" and further advances the erosion of what we have left. It's one thing to say they'll willfully break laws they don't agree with and another to be irresponsibly ignorant of them.

I hear this phrase all the time "penalizing law abiding gun owners" .... ironic

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top