JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know about quality issues with the JM crossbolts. I think it was a safety measure put in by attorneys, not gusmiths. I think it was in the early to mid 1980's. I have a 1980 Marlin 375 and wouldn't sell it. It is a beautiful and well made lever action. A .375 Winchester cartridge in a 336 frame.

Whats the quality concerns post-64? I have a JM 336 from the mid 1980s thats a great shooter. I cant recall when Rem bought Marlin, Ive heard they dropped the quality but dont know what the issues are.

Remington took over Marlin on or about 2008.

I bought a 336 Marlington made in 2009, it was very poor quality in many respects. The worst feature was a canted front sight. I asked my 'smith to fix it, he said it would cost more to fix it than to buy a new one. Turns out the canted front site was not unique to my rifle. I sold mine to Marty Feldman, heard he's had very good luck with it :)

On the other hand, a good friend bought one of the first Marlington SBL rifles, 45/70 Govt, that specimen is, for all intents, flawless. I tried unsuccessfully to find one that wasn't a mess. Then I tried bribing my friend to sell me his; something about go pound sand is all I got. I ended up buying a 2000 Guide gun and converting it to pistol grip so I could come close to the SBL without selling my gun soul to the devil.

A picture is worth a thousand words, especially when it comes to Marlin quality.

This is my 1894 JM Marlin made in the 90's. Note the high polish of the receiver and acceptable checkering along with glossy stock finish.

628gKwwkSTCpVHV4peOwjw.jpg

MyuwZKGaQDCap4GLPkMkyQ.jpg

And compare that to my Remlin 1894 made in 2017, with it's rough finish receiver and pressed checkering...

-h7fddrGSVqVmZADFG9UYQ.jpg

Kp6fKZGUR4q8VPdqUsCjdA.jpg

It's pronounced Eye-gore
"What hump?"
Anyway, bought a 444 in about '77 or so. They had just switched over to screwed on front sights from the original dovetailed version. Never really shot as good as I would like, so in the safe it went. For years. Taking a close exam of the bore, one could see that the front sight screw holes were drilled too deep and raised bumps in the bore. Sadly, it had also picked up some rust on receiver and barrel. I sent it to Marlin for refinishing, mentioning the screw holes.. They charged the nominal fee for a re-blue, but threaded a new barrel and matching fore end on, N/C.
Those were the days.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads