JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is something to be said for bone stock... with a Velzey trigger job of course...

CE1507FC-F4D0-43AB-BECB-4002332D0BB1.jpeg

Built this for my son for Christmas when he was 12. It wasn't cheap, but we have got our moneys worth from the many times we enjoyed shooting it. It will dot the i on a Pepsi can at 100 yds. My son is 30 now and it is still his favorite gun to shoot. He would never even think of selling it.

10222.JPG

It's an interesting question, for sure and a great topic for discussion. Here's my take on the matter.....let someone else do the upgrades on their own 10/22 and patiently wait for them to sell. For me it's the smart way to buy. Here's one I wound up with a few months ago at a gun shop, no joke, got this one on a trade.....my total cost? Just one $5 bill along with the trade. Stainless MOA receiver, Volquartsen innards, trigger, trigger guard, etc......and here's the best part.....the only product that's Ruger is the magazine.

6D2C6559-5978-4095-AA40-539374CBE5F6.jpeg

You can build one,sure. You can also buy a fine target rifle for the same money, or less. Flip a coin. Personally I have found that it's more cost effective to buy it the way you want it, rather than trying to build, say, a pinto into a Ferrari.

shooting from my front yard is the main reason I went with the Ruger 10/22
I can backstop a .22lr easier than a .308
I was calling Tony Kidd down in Texas every week when I built this one

and my go to gun to chase down varmints is this 10/22 M1 Carbine conversion

both these are set up with 1:9 barrels to shoot heavy 60 gn .22lr

I shoot exclusively sub sonic in these 2

Ruger 1022 target.JPG 10_22 Carbine_1.JPG

I think the answer for me is history. All of my firearms have a story. The 10/22 is an American classic.

I only have one (1) 10/22. I put the tech sights on mine (peep & barleycorn) so it handles like an M1 carbine. The only other mod I did was the Ruger BX trigger, which was absolutely needed. The rest is bone stock.

I originally had the Tech sights on the M1 conversion, fine sights for target

went to a red dot when I started shooting at varmints

it helps immensely when performing a snapshot at a moving critter

Had one back around 1980 or so. Never changed a thing on it, never felt it was very special, didn't have it very long. Eh. Nothing wrong with it, just didn't particularly ring my bell. If I'm gonna have a .22 semi-auto, I prefer the tube magazine design. But that's pretty old fashioned.

AR's are the same way. You can sink a ton of money into one, making it "special" and coincidentally, a rifle that subsequently not many people want. I have three AR's, the only mods they sport are slings. Tinkering isn't for everybody; for some, it's the only thing they do. I know a guy with approx. 150 guns but he never shoots. He tinkers. Some tinker and shoot. I mostly shoot and limit my tinkering to the reloading bench.

I have a 10-22 that's been mostly sitting in the corner of a closet, (for many years before I got into firearms and smartened up and got a safe). It must have been about 1980 the 1st wife got it for me one Christmas. It went out rabbit hunting a time or three before I moved to Oregon. It probably doesn't have 300 rounds through it.

Reading this thread makes me think of getting a scope/base, and better trigger for it. The way my eye sight is it might be fun to actually hit a 10 ring, with more than 1 out of 10! Taking a look at rails, they are in the $10.00- $30.00 for a fancy rail. Are they all pretty much going to hold a scope as well as another?

you don't need a fancy rail, I still use the Ruger rail on all my 10/22s
and there are many dedicated rimfire scope for you to choose from
I have had good luck with a inexpensive Bushnell 2.5x7

be careful, once you start accessorizing your 10/22, it can turn into a rabbit hole
i prefer Toney Kidd triggers myself, they cost more than the rifle but they are worth it!

I never got the 10/22 itch. However, I can see the value of standardized and aftermarket parts, so I got one of these 10/22 compatible guns instead:

At least it has a last shot bolt hold open capability, with T/C mags anyway. :)

I just got myself one of these. I have one of the more original ones from the 1970's. Love that weapon. But this new one shoots lights out.

Ill put a red dot on it and call it good. I like the red dot because my eyes are not what they used to be.

I might get the Ruger enhanced trigger. I got one for my old Ruger and love it.

1602794605897.png

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads