JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And as I bloviate about the pleasure in shooting a very accurate 10/22, I will also be up-front in saying that however accurate my 10/22 is, my Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle is even more accurate, without replacing a single component.:cool:

And as I bloviate about the pleasure in shooting a very accurate 10/22, I will also be up-front in saying that however accurate my 10/22 is, my Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle is even more accurate, without replacing a single component.:cool:
Ya, but that whole bolt thingy majigerbob must be moved and such for another round to be fired.

I have a 1969 and a 98 both only have a different magazine release lever, One factory change that Ruger did that I liked was the tab added to that. Had many over the years and all shot fine out of the box only changed the stocks to folders but friends always talked me into selling them to em. Thinking about building an 80% one lately just for fun but nothing fancy except maybe a BX trigger cause it'll need one anyway.

I understand it, I have done it. I also understand that with almost anything, guns, cars, boats etcetera, it is always cheaper to buy what you want rather than build it. Also it will hold its value and be less of an experiment. A nice Anschutz is a joy to shoot.

the 10/22 is an excellent platform, but after buying the rifle for over $200 and,
a stock ($150)
A barrel ($100 - $200)
Trigger ($100)
Scope or sidhts (well the sky is pretty much the limit here, for me it was about $250 for a VX1 leupold)

So for me it was about $1000, at least, I left out the harris bipod, sling, rings, etcetera.

Last Edited:
4 years ago I did a season of ARA shooting I used a Winchester model 52 heavy barrel target rifle it could do a fair score , the guys with the $5,000 rifles could do a almost 1 hole 5 shot group. there was a guy that machined a trick barrel to fit a 1022 and gave us sporter class guy us a scare. The 10/22 is one of the greatest rifles ever made. Yeah I have a stock 10/22 I bought in 1978

The 10/22 is fine for hunting varmints as well as plinking and target practice.

And for me, it's the handy size, how easy it is to work on or just takedown to clean. And that flush fitting 10 round rotary magazine rocks. Then they had to go and make the takedown models.

I have two. One that's modified with a Boyd's stock, Volquartsen barrel and Hornets products metal trigger group. And one untouched takedown model. I think they're a blast and worth every penny.

I will admit my CZ452 American is my favorite one to hunt with.

Never have shot a CZ452 American. Would buy one if I stumbled into a deal and had a little jingle, I hear they are a real Gem.

Originally got into the 10-22 with a Take-down, attracted to it as a relatively compact tool/toy. Its unfulfilled potential aggravated me though. Being a 50 Anniversary model, modifying would kill appreciation, it got stored on a shelf in a closet for the grandkids someday. Instead using a Brownell TD receiver, Volquartsen TD CF Barrel, a Ruger BX Trigger, and a Magpul TD Hunter stock built a better version. Did it like usual, only buying after research, and only on sale. Super-duper deal on the barrel, and even got a Sightron 4x12x42 Tac 1 on clearance. Bug Holes at 100 and it's more comfortable and fun to shoot than the original.

This little compact rifle is so much more convenient to travel with, and easier to find places to shoot out of town than my CFC rifles. Obviously, ammo is cheaper, but as a trainer it would have better to start with a different/better trigger. The BX is a better trigger than Ruger's original, so eventually when the deal comes by I see a new trigger in its future and the BX moving to the Anniversary version.

I start every shooting session with it, and admit it really has helped learning to shoot the wind.

20200605_111712.jpg

As far as resale value? It really isn't anything I think about. Never plan on selling any guns, only passing them on with the provisio that they never be sold or given away outside the family. Not to say I don't consider a guns 'value' or 'appreciation' in a more general way, no point in hurting it in other words. I don't expect to make money on mods. Just improve usefulness and enjoyment.

Last Edited:
I wouldn't even put a bx trigger on mine. Why?

I got a reason. The bolt lever (not sure the exact term) wasn't working, l tried messing around with it to get it to work and couldn't figure it out. Now I am usually pretty "handy" but no gunsmith. So instead of taking it in, bought the BX trigger for about 80 bucks, put it in. Now the bolt stays open when empty and I have a brand new crisp light trigger. That's all I have done to mine. Purchased in the mid-70's.

With all the mods I made to my 10/22, I went in with the full knowledge that I would NOT sell the rifle in the future for any reason. I'm well aware that all the mods I've made were made for ME, not someone else.

I got a reason. The bolt lever (not sure the exact term) wasn't working, l tried messing around with it to get it to work and couldn't figure it out. Now I am usually pretty "handy" but no gunsmith. So instead of taking it in, bought the BX trigger for about 80 bucks, put it in. Now the bolt stays open when empty and I have a brand new crisp light trigger. That's all I have done to mine. Purchased in the mid-70's.

If your bolt stays open after the last round is fired, then you've done some pretty hefty mods, bought special parts, or are incorrect.

The 10/22 doesn't have bolt hold open on empty as a feature. There's 1 company I know of who sells a special bolt and bolt release that'll get you the feature.

Otherwise, the stock bolt hold must be manually engaged and disengaged. I'd say a common aftermarket part is an auto bolt release that'll allow you to manually lock the bolt back, and then it'll release the bolt after you pull back on it.

I'm guessing that you simply found the lever easier to use with your bx trigger over stock. Functionally, they're the same bolt release (to my knowledge).

P6050143.JPG

First year production. Walnut stock. 3-8x Bushnell Scopechief.

Dad's Jackrabbit rifle. Bought it new.

P6050145.JPG

The entire extent of my 10-22 modification experience is the Ruger barrel band laser on the forearm. (Helps when trying to shoot a critter in a trap.)

I think Dad would approve.

If your bolt stays open after the last round is fired, then you've done some pretty hefty mods, bought special parts, or are incorrect.

The 10/22 doesn't have bolt hold open on empty as a feature. There's 1 company I know of who sells a special bolt and bolt release that'll get you the feature.

Otherwise, the stock bolt hold must be manually engaged and disengaged. I'd say a common aftermarket part is an auto bolt release that'll allow you to manually lock the bolt back, and then it'll release the bolt after you pull back on it.

I'm guessing that you simply found the lever easier to use with your bx trigger over stock. Functionally, they're the same bolt release (to my knowledge).

Yep you are correct, except I didn't do any mods to the 10-22 prior to the new trigger. The bolt release just would work on the original trigger. Couldn't figure it out. Probably less to but the BX than take it in. So I bought the BX. Thanks for clarifying :)

Yep you are correct, except I didn't do any mods to the 10-22 prior to the new trigger. The bolt release just would work on the original trigger. Couldn't figure it out. Probably less to but the BX than take it in. So I bought the BX. Thanks for clarifying :)

I'm glad it worked out for you. I still need to get ahold of a BX to strip apart to see what Ruger did to improve stock. It's ok the todo list!

If your looking for a trigger upgrade Hornet Products make some nice trigger assemblies for a reasonable price. They give you $33 trade in value for your trigger group. They come with auto bolt release so no messing with the bolt lock just pull the bolt handle back and let go. Trigger Assemblies Ruger 10/22

From the website . Info on the BX

Ruger 10/22 BX Trigger Series:
The BX is an entry level trigger assembly for not much money. For beginners, plinkers, and casual shooting, this is good enough. Some sellers advertise the BX trigger release as 2.50 lbs. We measured 2.75-3.0 lbs. using suspended dead weights. The pull has trigger play in the form of trigger take-up*, commonly referred to as "slack", "creep" or trigger "mush". The dry-fire block is a useful device if you like to test the trigger without ejecting the parts out of the housing. However, simply using your thumb to catch the hammer does exactly the same thing. The hammer-sear-trigger sub-assembly has a different profile. It is not hand-fitted nor are the parts pin-point lubricated. This means you can not swap out other aftermarket parts such as colored billet aluminum triggers, match grade hammers and sears made by others. Alterations to the engagement to make it lighter is risky business. We would not recommend it. Furthermore, it invalidates the warranty. The BX does not include an automatic bolt release/quick release. So you still have to use two hands to manipulate the bolt lock, a procedure that is awkward and frustrating, particularly by youngsters. At the range, when the "cease-fire" horn sounds, somebody is usually fiddling around with the bolt lock. You can buy the auto bolt release separately at extra cost and install it yourself.
Warranty service is not provided by the seller, but must be returned to Ruger Customer Service. Turn around time is often lengthy.

no opinion on them trying to get their money back out of it but why not customize it? figure your 22 is the gun you're going to shoot the most especially with today's ammo prices. guess I'd rather spend the money modifying something I'll use the most over building something I can't afford to shoot as often as I'd like to.

Customizing a 10/22 is an investment into having fun. Life's too short to own crappy guns. Build yourself a Kidd, put a Vortex on it, and enjoy it. When you want to move on, give it to your child. If you must sell, expect loss. Why would anybody buy second hand at new prices... unless the gun is unobtainium.

I own one, bone stock, and I don't shoot it much. It's the most "meh" firearm in my collection. It's sole purpose is mag dumps. It's the old man in Khakis eating a bologna sandwich on white bread of the gun world to me, however, I can appreciate that others enjoy tinkering

These are all excellent posts. I have two of these little rifles and they are bone stock. My wife and I "plink" with them. I also have a bunch of other money gobbling hobbies and have thousands of dollars tied up in them. I understand that while they may have great sentimental and economic value to me, the old adage is true. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. I think that some folks get really disappointed when they offer something for sale and that sales price includes the full retail cost of upgrades, plus the perceived value of any labor that may be involved in putting the whole package together. I understand that guns, cars, tools, etc. don't generally increase in value simply because of what I've done with it, but rather diminish in value unless there is some intrinsic value in the piece. I own lots of guns and shoot each of them. I don't collect anything in particular, I just enjoy target shooting. When it's time for me to get rid of them, chances are I'll be offering them at 50% of the retail price and that will pretty much guarantee that they'll get sold and someone will be pleased that he could get a fair deal on a gun he wanted. I've related this little story several times, but it's always fun to do it again. My dad and all of his friends fought in WWII. They brought home war trophies. Lugars were a favorite. When they grew tired of having them around, they offered them to me. By the time I was 12 I had 9 of them. None of them had the magazines (dad kept those in his cleaning box) and I also had 3 1911's. Eventually, I got rid of them because I grew tired of owning them. I also had all kinds of holsters, medals, arm bands, bayonets and knives as well as two helmets. It's all gone now. It was fun for a while but then I discovered girls and the rest is history!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top