JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an older Ruger 10/22(20 years old) that i want to freshen up a bit. The rifle is used for plinking, the occasional small critter, and to teach my son good marksmanship.

I am going to take it to Brimstone to get the Tier 2 trigger job.

The difficulty i am encountering is making my mind up between the Hogue Overmolded and Magpul Hunter x-22 stocks.
Then there is the choice in barrels. Reading at multiple sources it seems that most of the quality barrels are favored one way or the other. Further convoluting my choices.

I am not looking to turn it into a competition rifle or a high dollar plinking toy. Just need a solid and accurate shooter.

I have read that getting the barrel off and a new one can be PITA. I am wondering if it would make sense to just have the gunsmith take care of this portion of the work as well.

Opinions and thoughts on the above items?

The barrels are super easy to remove takes like 5 minutes. Flat tip screwdriver for screw on the bottom and the right size Allen wrench 2 Allen head bolts holding the barrel.

I've had both a Hogue overmolded and Hunter X22. I sold the Hogue and bought the Magpul for these reasons:

-The distance from trigger guard to grip is a little too long on the Hogue.
-Hogue can only install sling on swivel studs, Magpul has options for QD
-LOP can be changed on Magpul, +/- 2 or 3 inches
inches
-I much prefer the plastic of the Magpul over the rubber of the Hogue
-Mlok on Magpul means you can more easily throw on a bipod (Hogue only has the stud) or lights or whatever
-Magpul allows for different levels of cheek rests by adding SGA cheek risers.

More money, but way worth it for Magpul. And I got the gray.

Perfect choice on the Brimstone trigger job. You can get new take off stock barrels fairly inexpensively, but I recommend a Green Mountain std taper barrel if you want a little more. Between the two stocks, Magpul.

I don't have first hand experience with the stock, but can attest to the Brimstone Tier 2 trigger job and Green Mountain barrel:

10-22 1-19 50 - 2.jpg

Ive done 5 of em using different parts, nothing high dollar and they shoot great. I like to tinker and these are perfect for that. I like the hogue stocks i have them on 2. Havent used the other one. I have bullbarrels and all of them and the accuracy is great once you find the right ammo. 2 are green mnt. Great shooters for $. You can get a stock barrel to shoot pretty darn well with some experimentation. Shame i cant hunt with them in Ca. I have barrels and stock take offs all over my shop haha. The triggers are #1. I haven't bought a kidd, but the ones ive bought have made a huge difference. Pay attention to torque on action screws, makes huge difference in accuracy and poi, ibelieve mine live between 15 and 22 in/lb depending on gun and ammo. Lots of info on rimfire central. Have fun, it can become an obsession! But ive moved on since im in lead free purgatory. Ill offer any insights i have if needed, granted im not an expert. Keep us updated!

The heart of any .22 rimfire lies within the barrel. As was mentioned above, KIDD and Fedderson are two of the "good" ones, the Lilja reins supreme. Tony Kidd guarantees his barrels to shoot ½ inch groups at 50 yards. This 10/22 uses a KIDD barrel:

3hGrqcNl.jpg

Just finished doing the same thing, except my 10-22 was a little older maybe late 70's early 80's. Went with the Magpul stock as it has both inserts for a bull and tapered barrel. Then went with a factory Ruger Hammered forged bull barrel 20 inches long. Did get some parts to update the bolt and replaced the trigger with the BX model from Ruger. Just waiting for my new scope to arrive before I got out to shoot it.

The rifle is at Brimstone. New magpul stock, Kidd barrel, and tier 2 trigger work being done.
Should have it back in 3 weeks.
I have a red dot being delivered today. My son asked for it. I have never messed with one. I figure if it keeps him somewhat interested in shooting for a little bit, it'll be worth it.

GEDC1134-1.jpg

Simple Hogue stock, Stock Bbl, VQ sear kit, Tech sights, GI sling = Liberty Training Rifle

Copy-of-GEDC1138-1-1.jpg

Then, a Liberty Training rifle with a with a threaded SS Green Mountain bull bbl and scope.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....with the Hogue.....the stock's barrel channel differs. So FIRST, figure out what barrel you want. AND, most of the time.....barrel removal and installation is easy enough.

RimfireCentral.com - Rimfire Community!

It's a good sight for more information on rimfire firearms.

Last Edited:
I bought the standard bull barrel target 10/22 that Ruger put out. Great shooter, but what really upped the fun level is the HCMag set up. It makes loading magazine so quick and easy. Literally dump the .22 bullets in a box and shake it, then slot them into clips that easily slide into mags at the range. Unfortunately, not sure if they are still doing them as the online store they set up is "sold out".

info
HC Mags HC3R Tactical Pack

Last Edited:
I use this to load up hi-cap Ruger Brand magazines (in my case BX-25).

IMG-3846.jpg

Champion brand....
You will need to specify which brand of mags you're gonna be using them with and they aren't of much help with the factory 10 round Ruger mags.

Aloha, Mark

I use this to load up hi-cap Ruger Brand magazines (in my case BX-25).

View attachment 699739

Champion brand....
You will need to specify which brand of mags you're gonna be using them with and they aren't of much help with the factory 10 round Ruger mags.

Aloha, Mark
I just threw one of those out, it wouldn't work like it's supposed to.

MagLula 10/22 loader is where it's at.

The heart of any .22 rimfire lies within the barrel. As was mentioned above, KIDD and Fedderson are two of the "good" ones, the Lilja reins supreme. Tony Kidd guarantees his barrels to shoot ½ inch groups at 50 yards. This 10/22 uses a KIDD barrel:

View attachment 698271
this one has an old Volquartsen SS bull barrel with a 1:9 twist and Bentz chamber

built to shoot heavy 60 gn subsonic bullets

Tony Kidd classic red trigger

Hogue overmolded stock

it is capable of dime sized groups at 50 yrds with subsonic target ammo

Ruger 1022 target.JPG Ruger 1022 target 2.JPG

The 10/22 is the most enjoyable rifle in my opinion.

Currently own 5 and have probably had at least a dozen over the years.

Honestly, I think I enjoy a 10/22 project over an AR15 project.

Latest was picked up from here for $100 and after adding a threaded barrel, it has become a fun little plinker.

I'll agree with others. The Magpul stock is better than the Hogue. This guy is gonna get a Magpul soon. I want the grey one, which is harder to find.

F439DF96-11B3-49B1-A5B8-54AD03CC1F5D.jpeg

I just threw one of those out, it wouldn't work like it's supposed to.

MagLula 10/22 loader is where it's at.
I had one that was pretty messed up after I stupidy used to to load Thunderbolt during the shortage...Thunderbolt- aka "Wax covered crap that makes your speedloader too sticky to function:. After I cleaned all the wax out, and started buying decent ammo- it started working again.

Dude... that is awesome. Did you fabricate the stock yourself?
I wish
they are sold by Eabco

the M1 Carbine was the first rifle I ever fired back in '64 at Military Summer Camp

just like an old friend

The 10/22 is the most enjoyable rifle in my opinion.
I'll agree with others. The Magpul stock is better than the Hogue. This guy is gonna get a Magpul soon. I want the grey one, which is harder to find.

View attachment 699903
I selected the Hogue because it matches my Rem 700 VS stock for dimensions and length of pull

and the Kidd trigger is very close to the Rem target trigger from 1991

a nice practice rifle for the VS

.308 match gets expensive

P1030741.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show