JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Someday when I have some extra cash, I think I would like a 10/22 charger pistol with the threaded takedown barrel.

Was thinking with 30 round mags, a red dot/light and a suppressor that it could be a very effective tool to send lead downrange (and a fun toy lol).

Down sides would be the rimfire cartridge at the least.

Anyone own these or have any experience / ideas?

I have one for more or less the exact reasons you stated. Mine is a takedown with a Holosun HA403C red dot, the suppressor is still in ATF jail.

I honestly don't think it's all that practical for any real wold need but it's a great toy. If you where in a actual survival situation I think you would want something with a 16" barrel and a magnified optic (in .22lr anyway)

Was thinking mostly about suppressive fire with my off hand while advancing on a position (a person behind a car or corner of a building) and then using my strong hand with a more lethal pistol.

And the takedown would make it very portable for travel.

I have rifles for small and big game, this would be mostly personal protection in a survival situation.

Honestly, an AR pistol would be great as well but I would worry a lot about collateral damage in my current neighborhood if I had to start blazing away.

Yes, extreme cases, it would most likely just be a cool toy;)

Hey, I take that back. I've learned over the years that some of those scoped and fancy "pistols" of all sorts can be all kinda awesome.. to put it mildly.
Elmer Keith though..

How long are the barrels on a charger? They might shoot bulk ammo subsonic which would make them a great suppressor host.

I have the 10/22 takedown and it is a great shooting little rifle. Suppressed its even more fun. Only issue is it needs subsonic ammo so that rules out most of the bulk packs. (tired of paying $50 a brick but oh well)

Don't have one, but have to admit I've considered them more than once. Completely impractical for anything that I could use it for, would be strictly fun factor for me.

Only issue is it needs subsonic ammo so that rules out most of the bulk packs.
If you suppress a 22 handgun, almost all 22 ammo comes out of a 4-5" barrel subsonic, including bulkpack.

A Charger could be okay, but I'm not sure why a Takedown rifle wouldn't be better for your stated purpose. Just recently I bought a 50th Anniversary 10/22 with a threaded barrel. It will be my suppressor host. If I was truly in a self-defense situation, I'd want as much bullet velocity as possible, even if supersonic means a little more crack. Super-quiet is only necessary in a few situations. Laying down covering fire is NOT one of them.

Was thinking mostly about suppressive fire with my off hand while advancing on a position (a person behind a car or corner of a building) and then using my strong hand with a more lethal pistol.

And the takedown would make it very portable for travel.

I have rifles for small and big game, this would be mostly personal protection in a survival situation.

Honestly, an AR pistol would be great as well but I would worry a lot about collateral damage in my current neighborhood if I had to start blazing away.

Yes, extreme cases, it would most likely just be a cool toy;)

Maybe it is just a personal preference, but if I was using "Suppressive Fire", I probably wouldn't use a "Suppressor". Really tough to make them keep their heads down if they can't hear it. I agree with the "cool toy" part.

This?

images.jpg

Was thinking with 30 round mags, a red dot/light and a suppressor that it could be a very effective tool to send lead downrange
BTW, if this is in any way for self-defense, I would stick to Ruger BX-25's and leave all the 30rd plastic fantastic mags alone. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on mine, but would only accept an Aimpoint if this was going to be a true self-defense rifle. I know an Aimpoint is more $$$ than the rifle, but good optics almost always are.

Not sure about a light, though... I've got lights on my 5.56 carbine, a shotgun, and on 2 HD pistols, but I wouldn't want to be going all tactical with a 22, personally.

BTW, if this is in any way for self-defense, I would stick to Ruger BX-25's and leave all the 30rd plastic fantastic mags alone. I have a Bushnell TRS-25 on mine, but would only accept an Aimpoint if this was going to be a true self-defense rifle. I know an Aimpoint is more $$$ than the rifle, but good optics almost always are.

Not sure about a light, though... I've got lights on my 5.56 carbine, a shotgun, and on 2 HD pistols, but I wouldn't want to be going all tactical with a 22, personally.

I only disagree because a .22 can throw ammo down range quickly and accurately with your weak hand as he said he planned to do. Using a AR pistol or anything of higher power you will be shooting every which way trying to use 2 guns.
I would tacticool out a .22 if I had the extra cash. As a secondary weapon I love the idea.

The charger is a pistol where the Standard takedown is a rifle.

The suppressor idea came from inhome use possibly - although I can personally attest to bullets coming from an unidentifiable source will keep a head down and not give them as much to shoot at.

Part of this idea stems from being told that gangs are now using military tactics with .22's and police are finding dead bangers riddled with small holes.

I have many .22 rifles and pistols (probably still my favorite round at almost 40 lol) but not a single 10/22 and I am a big ruger fan. Thought this could be a simi unique project to get me one.

The charger is a pistol where the Standard takedown is a rifle.

The suppressor idea came from inhome use possibly - although I can personally attest to bullets coming from an unidentifiable source will keep a head down and not give them as much to shoot at.

Part of this idea stems from being told that gangs are now using military tactics with .22's and police are finding dead bangers riddled with small holes.

I have many .22 rifles and pistols (probably still my favorite round at almost 40 lol) but not a single 10/22 and I am a big ruger fan. Thought this could be a simi unique project to get me one.

Yep, My brother has mentioned the much higher use of .22s in gang shootings. He works as a 911 operator so I trust he has a good idea of the stuff.
I have heard that before as well. Makes sense if you want a quiet easily suppressed round to knock of rival gangs with. Plus the idea of no recoil and easily found high capacity mags for the folks that do that since they are far from accurate shooters most of the time. Spray and pray seems to be a common gang tactic.

A double drum would make it pretty incredible - i dont know if they make reliable ones or not.

2 people flanking a hunkered down enemy with those things would be near impossible to survive.

And as expensive as its getting, .22 is still pretty affordable for a few thousand rounds to stash away in mags.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top