Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC

Posted by Kimber Custom
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 08:30 AM
Until: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 03:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/Los_Angeles)
Categories

Event Dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Start: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 08:30 AM
End: Saturday, December 12, 2020 - 03:00 PM

Kimber Custom

Reactions
Since our first 2 events got cancelled - I'm squeezing one more in this year.

4 stages of pistol - 5-7 plates set 20'-60' out 8-12" targets
4 stages of rifle - 5-7 plates set 20'105' out 8-12" targets

Setup starts at 0730, please be at the range no later than 0830 for check in. We start our safety brief at 9 and shoot until we are done. Pulled pork lunch is served around 11:30 and is included with match fees of $5 per gun for DRRC members or $7.50 per gun for guests.

Prizes given to the Overall Champion, Top Lady, Top Youth and Top Senior shooter. We also have a prize for Top Noob. Raffle drawing available to anyone still around after cleanup.

Pre registration is required: Home | PractiScore registration closes at 0900 on the 12th.

DLS

Reactions
Hi @joshkk , sorry nobody has yet answered your question.

You would be hard pressed to use a lever gun. Each stage consists of 5 - 7 steel targets, stop plate included. You fire for time with a penalty for missed targets etc. You run through each stage 5 times and your best 4 times count toward your aggregate score.

Depending on your magazine capacity you would have to reload after every other run, perhaps after each one. This is where a magazine fed firearm shines. A slow to reload firearm slows down your pace and timing affecting your score, and it slows down the match overall.

I did see a tubular magazine work one time at this match. The fellow used an old Remington semi-auto with a tubular magazine. He had 5 tube type ammo feeders that allow you to pour the rounds out of the feeder into the magazine tube.

He stepped to the line with a friend who stood just to the side in a safe position. After firing a run he pulled the magazine rod and dumped the remaining contents into a small box. He then tipped the gun up and his friend brought the feeder tube to the magazine and refilled the gun. Each of these feeder tubes had the correct number of rounds to top of the magazine. This way he started each run with a fully loaded gun.

It sounds worse that it was, the shooter was very careful to maintain muzzle control and it was done quite safely. It was also rather quick, but still took more time than swapping out a with a fresh, fully loaded detachable magazine. While he had fun, he stated he wasn't going to do that again, it was too much work and required too much attention to detail for him to have a really good time.

He also was shooting a semi ... so his actual shooting times were not limited by the firearm's action. A lever gun would be much slower as I'm sure you can imagine. It's too bad actually, I have a Browning BL-22 that would be a ton of fun to shoot in this match, but the logistics of it all will make it likely I never will.

I hope this helps!

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Little Shop!
    I went in the place several weeks ago while visiting my kid at school. I ended up buying a new set of electronic ear muffs as my old ones were...
  • Gun Pro Shooting Supplies
    5.00 star(s)
    My go-to
    Neil has been nothing but professional, helpful and fair since I was a brand new shooter. He and his staff treat everyone with respect and you...
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    1.00 star(s)
    Completely unhappy!
    Not happy, customer service is highly lacking, and the male employees are rude. We wont be back!!
  • Wildcat Mountain
    4.00 star(s)
    Wildcat Mountain Nov. 30
    Went there today, it was accessible but bad conditions which I kind of expected. Melting snow, mud, etc. No one there and I didn't see a lot of...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
Top Bottom