JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been thinking seriously on acquiring a Rifle in 338 Win Mag caliber as an All Around hunting rifle.

Any recommendations from the hunting experts ? I've seen used ones in Gunbroker for less thAn $1000.00 and even some new ones below that price.

Holy smokes what a question.....
"I've seen used ones on Gunbroker for less than $1,000, and even some new ones for less than that".

My first reaction is: weeping Jesus on the cross, don't tell me he saw some moron who put tinsel on a Savage, an is hoping for a buffon to pay him a grand to take it off his hands...

So you saw used, what? A Heym? That's a good price, ANYTHING else, NO.

What kind of hunting, distance and expectations do you have or need from a cartridge? I personally think the 338 Win Mag is the most worthless 338 magnum commercially available but my needs/ wants might be totally different than yours.

And yea, You should have pick of the litter for production rifles for a grand. Smart shopping will get you a top of the line rifle brand for that kind of money.

Yeap, a grand I can have my choice.
Savages 111 go for about $400.00 new with Accutrigger.
Mossbergs 4x4 about $450.00
And Browning A-bolts about $900.00

I just need to look more and eventually will find the right deal.

Thanjs for the input.

I see a lot of them used and they are pretty much brand new for a fraction of the cost. Doesn't take long shooting a 338 magnum for most people to realize they don't want to deal with the recoil. And unless they are hunting brown bear, they don't really need anything more than a .30-06.

The 338 win mag is a lot of gun for an "all around hunting rifle". I have one, I love it, It is an elk killing S.O.B.... But it wouldn't be my 1st choice for an all around gun. I would go with a boring old 30'06/270/308 for that role.

I'll agree the recoil on the 338 Win can be stout, I've installed a Limbsaver recoil pad and developed a load that uses slower powder so it's not too bad but still pushes a 250 gr round nose bullet out around 2900 fps and shoots a 1" group at 100 yds. I've a 30.06 as well but if I had to grab just one gun and run for the hills it would be the 338.

I got one a the Mossberg's last summer in 338. Its not a bad rifle if you can get past the plastic mag and trigger guard. The mag works great , just seems cheezy. Guns pretty light weight. Shoots tight groups. I did order the Limbsaver after sighting it in, got bruised up a little. The stock was a little rough when I got it. The holes on the front of the stock looked like they varnished it without blowing the dust off first. Easy fix with a file and a felt pen.
All in all, not bad for the price.

IMG_0025_zpseffebad0.jpg

.338 win is a great round for an all around gun as is most anything in 30 cal and up. My custom Ruger m77 with the even more punishing zytel (boat paddle) stock has harvested many elk and deer from less than 20 yards out to 300 yards . The 338 Laupa craze has shooters thinking they can shoot like pros with no training or even just practice. In my opinion your rifle should cost less than the optics, if you plan on shooting past 500 yards then put more money into the package with lots of practice. As for 'too much gun' for deer, I say no. My wife and I shot two nice eastern Oregon cow elk standing side by side and the both dropped like bricks with no apparent difference in entrance or exit holes. 270 win short vs 338 mag . However, I have harvested deer that blew soft ball size holes in them as well but I can say I have never had 2 have a follow up with a second shot with my 338. I can't say that for the 223, 243, 270, 280, or 300 rum. You can listen to all of us but when it comes down to it, it is all about what makes you happy and that you feel confident with your shot placement using. No matter the caliber you select , as long as it is legal for the game you are hunting, and you are willing to shoot it in practice, then it is the right choice. With the thick western brush I like to put game down 1 shot, hard. No tracking. It's hard enough at times to find the in them foliage when you know where they dropped, let alone tracking blood trails. My advice, select the biggest bullet you can handle and look for a quality gun to match. Then get your regular shooting practice in, in conditions similar to what you actually hunt in (weather, angles, wind etc). Confidence is the key to make any gun sing.

I agree with ruger 338. I have shot a .338 Win Mag built on a M1917 action for a long time. As far a the 'most worthless .338 commercially available' I have to disagree. I have used the .338 and a 30.06AI on a M70 controlled feed for a long time, and agree with 2gr8dgs the WinMag is indeed an elk (and moose) killing SOB. Mine has been a one or two step rifle since I built it. It just puts meat on the ground. If I had to grab one rifle to grab and run off to the hills and shoot about anything it would probably be the .338 only because it is a smidge more accurate and can reach a little further than the Ackley. Even with the .338 weighing a couple of pounds more than the M70.

I agree with ruger 338. I have shot a .338 Win Mag built on a M1917 action for a long time. As far a the 'most worthless .338 commercially available' I have to disagree. I have used the .338 and a 30.06AI on a M70 controlled feed for a long time, and agree with 2gr8dgs the WinMag is indeed an elk (and moose) killing SOB. Mine has been a one or two step rifle since I built it. It just puts meat on the ground. If I had to grab one rifle to grab and run off to the hills and shoot about anything it would probably be the .338 only because it is a smidge more accurate and can reach a little further than the Ackley. Even with the .338 weighing a couple of pounds more than the M70.

Totally understandable. That is why I suggested my opinion is based on my needs in a 338. I'd opt for the 338-378 Weatherby personally. If I step to the 338 it will dedicated long range hunter rig.

Totally understandable. That is why I suggested my opinion is based on my needs in a 338. I'd opt for the 338-378 Weatherby personally. If I step to the 338 it will dedicated long range hunter rig.

I totally respect your reasons, one of my reasons for going with the WinMag is if I ever arrived up North without ammunition I was more likely to find commercial cartridges on the shelf (even though this rifle has never had a factory loaded round fired through it ... lol). My old .338 does reach out well, just need to be on top of the range ... and to make it easy on old folks like me, it has almost identical trajectory as my Ackley out to about 600. Another kind of neat thing is more than half of my brass is necked up 7mm Rem Mag ... the cases are the same. For a larger than 30 caliber belted magnum it is fairly affordable to shoot.

This is what I am running and its a elk hammer out to 1k meters. Now, as nice as that is, unless your reloading your dumping around $6 every time you squeeze that trigger. ( and reloading doesnt help alot either as brass is almost as much as a full cartridge.)
A nice thing is, the Brakes Weatherby uses are really good so it cuts the felt reciol down by alot. just don't stand next to one thats going to be touched off.

This is what I am running and its a elk hammer out to 1k meters. Now, as nice as that is, unless your reloading your dumping around $6 every time you squeeze that trigger. ( and reloading doesnt help alot either as brass is almost as much as a full cartridge.)
A nice thing is, the Brakes Weatherby uses are really good so it cuts the felt reciol down by alot. just don't stand next to one thats going to be touched off.

Brass prices and availability is the only thing keeping me from owning one.

I've never owned a 338 but I enjoy my 375 Win mag. Have a SS Winchester model 70, controlled feed, iron sights as well as a Bausch & Lomb 4200 3x9 in quick detachable lever mount. Haven't needed a second shot yet.

A 338 sounds like a good choice.

A 338 Winny and 210gr Barnes TTSX @ 2900+ fps MAKES A HELL of a versatile combo. Shoots flat enough for mule deer as far as I would ever shoot and you'll never have to say "no" at a shot angle on any N. American big game animal. Not gonna hunt moose? Drop to the 185 TTSX @ 3150. SPEED is your friend with Barnes bullets. I broke both shoulders on a bull elk using a 150gr from a 300 Winny @ 3200 fps.

If you are a timber guy, the increased frontal area and penetration gives you a greater margin of error as you try to get the shot off before your animal melts into the woods. Bigger holes leak more blood. A 230gr Failsafe I fired head-on into a bull through the brisket ended up in the rear ham. I've since gone toward bullets that open a tad faster, but the penetration was there!

If you want one, you'll never be undergunned and its plenty flat enough for just about any normal hunting environment. Most of the BC and SD stuff is meaningless for most hunters.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top