JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to refinish an old Belgian BAR 7mm that my grandfather left to me and a Remington pump .06. The blueing is pretty worn in places on the receivers and barrels and I don't want to risk the steel by carrying them until I've had a new hot-blueing taken care of.

Has anyone on the forum had this service completed here locally (Oregon / SW Washington)? Who would you recommend? Do any of you have before/after pics of the work.

They're both awesome rifles with a crap-ton of sentimental value; I don't want to risk them on sub-par service.

Thanks for the help :D

Casey

You can trust Todd at Koonce Custom in Salem. I don't have any photos of his work, but I went to school with him and have seen his work before. I'd take my bluing to him if I didn't do it myself...

I had a guy in Oregon City restore a mauser 98k for me that I get compliments on everytime it comes out of the case. The guy is passionate about his work, and it shows. I can get you the contact info if you would like.

It wasn't in bad shape at all. It was a bring back gun that my grandfather (WWII B-17 tailgunner) had from 1943 that had been sporterized to .270 win. I had decided that this was going to be my hunting gun for life so I wanted it to last. Scott bead blasted every single part of that gun, replaced every piece that needed it, cerakoted all parts of the bolt assembly, duracoated the barrel, floated the barrel, filled in the dovetail where the old rear sight was, glass bedded the stock, and mounted/bore sighted a new scope. It is a thing of absolute beauty. Cool to have a Nazi stamped hunting rifle that shoots 1/2-3/4 inch groups that I am not afraid to take out in the rain. The pics I have are expired, so I can't upload them for some reason. I'll get some up one of these days, it's obviously my pride and joy!

Scott bead blasted every single part of that gun, replaced every piece that needed it, cerakoted all parts of the bolt assembly, duracoated the barrel, floated the barrel, filled in the dovetail where the old rear sight was, glass bedded the stock, and mounted/bore sighted a new scope. It is a thing of absolute beauty.

Scott is the poo! He's worked on a couple AR's for me, 4 glocks, and 2 kimbers. :s0132:

You could get away with duracoating the remington pump, but the BAR deserves better. It deserves to be restored to its former glory with a professional BLUING. Not a cerakote or duracoat...

You could get away with duracoating the remington pump, but the BAR deserves better. It deserves to be restored to its former glory with a professional BLUING. Not a cerakote or duracoat...

Yeah, planning on the bluing for the BAR for sure, want to see the options for the pump. I guess I have some research to do.

OK, dug out the card and gave him a call to see if it was OK to give out his info here. So, as said, his name is Scott at SMW Custom Guns. Phone is (503) 730-4808, and email is [email protected]. I think he specializes in AR's and 1911's, but can work wonders with just about anything. Tell him Aaron with the K98 sent you. Won't get you or me a discount, but I just want him to know that his great work is being rewarded by word of mouth. This is more than a business for him, the guy really takes the quality of his work personally, and it shows. Can't say enough good things about him.

Last Edited:
OK, dug out the card and gave him a call to see if it was OK to give out his info here. So, as said, his name is Scott at SMW Custom Guns. Phone is (503) 730-4808, and email is [email protected]. I think he specializes in AR's and 1911's, but can work wonders with just about anything. Tell him Aaron with the K98 sent you. Won't get you or me a discount, but I just want him to know that his great work is being rewarded by word of mouth. This is more than a business for him, the guy really takes the quality of his work personally, and it shows. Can't say enough good things about him.

Thank you for the contact info. I will give him a ring. I know everyone in the service industries appreciates word of mouth, so I'll definitly tell him you passed on his name.

Thanks again!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads