JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just wanting to pick peoples' brains about what competition opportunities there are for shooting revolvers in Oregon, or nearby states. I'm not terribly interested in single action cowboy guns; while it looks like the folks involved in that have a great time, it's just not my thing. But anything involving double action revolvers, especially drawing from a holster, and with a speed element as well as accuracy, now we're talking!

Most of the competitions I'm aware of are out of ARPC in Shedd. They have USPSA, Speed Steel, and Bowling pin matches. I don't know much about IDPA, or ICORE, so I'd love to hear more from folks who shoot in those, or anything else related. Thanks!

ICORE match the 29th at Wolverton Mt Gun Club in Ariel Wa.

Low key fun match. They have one every month with a 5th Saturday.

What revolvers do you have?

Last Edited:
ARPC has ICORE, the revolver action sport. Contact the ICORE director listed on the calendar when you click on the event. You won't find more revolver shooters than that in one place. From what I heard, the rules are simple.

Planning on buying a 625 this weekend. I have enjoyed competition with semis hugely, and I'm hoping to hone my skills enough with revos to at least not embarrass myself. My observations from the sidelines are that the revolver teaches excellent trigger control, and I'm going to need to work hard on reloads.
It looks like ICORE was a can-x this month at ARPC, but the September one still shows green. I'll check it out!

ICORE stages are a mix of reactive, steel and paper D1 targets that typically have at least 18 and as many as 30+ rounds per string of fire. There is a pretty hefty time penalty for wide shots so it really emphasizes accuracy while still shooting fast, which is not easy with a long double action trigger pull that revolvers present. If you can do well with a DA revolver a semi is a walk in the park. You really want to stay in the A-zone on the D1 so the ability to adjust your shooting cadence on the fly is a valuable skill. Most of the time the course calls for two shots on the paper target before moving on. On the steel you can push the speed since it's "ding it" and move on, like all other steel events. Then there is the Texas Star ... but I digress!

There is a large emphasis on reloading too, especially if you shoot classic division (6-shot revolver, speed loaders only (no moon clips) and iron sights)). So you start with a loaded cylinder and may have to top it off three, four times.

It makes for a very challenging and fun match. The events at Wolverton Gun Club are low key, fun oriented, beginner welcoming matches. When my son and I first started shooting these we had no holster or loader pouches. So we started from the low-ready and stashed our speed loaders in an old nail pouch hanging from our belt. We entered and exited the shooting box with the gun in a case. It was all good, they did not have a problem with our red-neck ammo carry system and encouraged us to come back again.

So we did.

While we both now have proper holsters for the revolver and the appropriate speed loader pouches but we still share a gun, since my son is not serious enough about this to warrant his own. At the completion of fire after the unload and show clear command is given whichever one of us who has not yet shot steps into the box next to the other. We then safely transfer the open revolver to the other person and they then holster the gun before we both step out. They are just fine with this sharing of the gun, even though we get a good bit of friendly ribbing for me being "cheap" not buying the "kid" his own gun.

Give it a try, I can't imagine you would be sorry! The matches are on any month with a 5th Saturday ... the next being the 29th.

Last Edited:
@DLS, I'll probably make it up there after I get a bit of time to practice my reloads. Bit of a trek, at ~ 3 hours each way, but I'll get up there at some point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top