JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was in Vietnam over 50 years ago. In fact, it was 50 years to the month that I came home in Feb. 1972. I've been exploring sites on the internet, looking at places that I knew when I was there. There is one site in particular that has hundreds of "then and now" pictures. It's amazing to me the amount of growth that has taken place in 50 years. My time there was 19 months. I wasn't a soldier walking a jungle path in the A Shau Valley, or cocking cannons on some hilltop firebase. Nearly all of my time was spent in and around Saigon. Which was a built up place with lots of landmarks to identify with.

This got me to thinking about cemeteries where the war dead are laid to rest. In France and Belgium, there are many cemeteries containing German war dead from both World Wars. They are respected and well tended after all these years. There are British cemeteries in Egypt and Libya, still in good condition. There was a vandalism episode in one British cemetery in Libya within the past ten years, attributed to a random act of religious hatred.

Not all such places command respect. In fact, some invite institutional disrespect. As in Russia, where a million and a half Germans died. Plus one million missing. The German war dead there tended to be concentrated together in areas. In marked graves. Which in most cases the Russians didn't lose any time plowing under, so as to eliminate any vestige of German presence. It was only in the late 1980's and early 1990's that Russia started cooperating with German war graves establishment and recognition. Of course there may some element of who is victor and who is vanquished in these scenarios. But I have to point out that once the Soviets got kicked out of east Germany in 1991, the unified Germans didn't dig up Soviet war dead from Treptow and Pankow.

Before the US involvement in Vietnam, the French were there and many of their soldiers were killed in the conflict. There was a French military cemetery in Tan Son Nhut, near the main airbase in Saigon. After the communists took over, the French gravestones were removed. The remains were disinterred and returned to France. Today the area is a park. But supposedly, the reason for disinterment was to reclaim valuable land within city locations.

Which brings me to the status of the ARVN (South Vietnamese Army) national cemetery just outside Saigon to the northeast. Whatever you think of the ARVN, this involves soldiers who were killed on the job. This cemetery was the South Vietnamese equivalent of our Arlington National Cemetery, complete with tomb of an unknown soldier. I was there in late 1971. Picture of the entrance to the "dignified area":

IMG_20220222_0001.jpg

You can see an honor guard standing up at the top where the tomb was.

I was shocked and even saddened to see "today" pictures of this. Completely neglected, and worse, ransacked and vandalized. The communist government didn't care to preserve or acknowledge remembrance of their enemy, no matter that in this case they were fellow countrymen.

The cemetery grounds themselves have been horribly desecrated. Large sections of the graves area have been given over to industrial redevelopment. You can only guess if any remains were removed before grading, paving and building. If you care to look, you can see it on Google Earth at 10 - 53 - 21.6 N x 106 - 48 - 35.13 E. This area used to be a circle; you can see where redevelopment has carved into it. You can find a few on-the-ground pictures of this place as it looks today but I don't want to put them up here and possibly violate a copyright.

I once went to see Uncle Ho's final resting place. There is a line drawn on the ground where tourist are NOT supposed to step over. No, I didn't/wouldn't even want to try testing the guard's resolve. Rrrrrright......I didn't want to be THAT "Ugly American".

Unlike what happens here in America. Dam Tourist.

Aloha, Mark

PS......BTW.
Is Marx's tomb a communist plot?

Last Edited:
Ever watch videos of the honor guard at the tomb of the unknown soldiers? Most all the "tourist's" are dressed like they won free tickets to disneyland, no respect. That's not a "tourist" destination, its a shrine. Act accordingly.

My wife got on a game show in NYC, a year after 9/11. We walked through the fenced area that allowed you a view the giant pits that were once sky scrappers, and noticed that I was the only male in sight that 1: wore a shirt with a collar, and 2: removed my hat while I was on the premises.

You gonna wear the T-shirt of your favorite band to a place where people died on behalf of your country, go bubblegum yourself. That gets me a ban so be it, just go bubblegum yourself. Least you can do is put on a pair of pants.

I know, I'm a boomer, different generations and all that, but serriosly, it doesn't take a whole lot of sacrifice to at least pretend to give a damn. Just sayin'

We are all suppose to know the Noccolula Falls is in Alabama? What a lousey outfit that yahoo site is. I usually pass them up anyway. Now I know why.

All depends on where you live, in some parts of this country showing patriotism would get you labeled as a racist.

There are many snow flakes in the northwest I have no doubt would piss on a solider's grave given the chance. These people get upset over people lighting fireworks every Fourth of July.

I have to wonder if these honor guards are given live ammunition with permission to use it should someone not obey orders of respect? I'd imagine it'd only take one person getting their melon canoed to get the point across permanently

I would like to think that this honors all the Airedales, Doggies, Swabbies, Coasties and the crayon munchers.

No matter when or where you served you did our country right.

There are many snow flakes in the northwest I have no doubt would piss on a solider's grave given the chance. These people get upset over people lighting fireworks every Fourth of July.
People get more stupid, rude and woke the deeper you get into the big cities of the NW.

People get more stupid, rude and woke the deeper you get into the big cities of the NW.
All depends on where you live, in some parts of this country showing patriotism would get you labeled as a racist.

There are some and there are others.

The wonderful world of our democracy is that we all get to make our choices, no matter where you live or which path you chose to follow.

While I would probably disagree with some people, I would never trade what we have in our country for anything else.

We are all suppose to know the Noccolula Falls is in Alabama? What a lousey outfit that yahoo site is. I usually pass them up anyway. Now I know why.
I don't know about you but after seeing that article, I was imagining......that memorial (Huey) in Canby, OR. Could it also happen there? Well, Canby isn't Portland but?

Yeah.....THEY are everywhere.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR