JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You may want to look for a S&W 1500 in decent condition. I just saw one on "near new" condition for less then 4 Franklins. I used to own one in .270 and found it very accurate.

I just bought a used S&W 1500 in great shape for $300 with scope in 7mm Mag. I already own one in .30-06. The Smith & Wesson 1500, the Weatherby Vanguard, and the Howa 1500 are all the same rifle with minor variations in stock and options. They all shoot 1 MOA out of the box. You can buy a new one without scope for exactly your price range $580 for blued and about $700 for stainless. If you buy a used one call Howa with the serial number. There's a recall on the bolt on older models (it can be put together wrong if you take it apart), but they do an upgrade on the bolt at no charge and the turn around time is about a week.

Forgot to mention that the S&W/Howa/Vanguards have a nice adjustable trigger on them. I purposely went looking for the S&W version first because most people don't know they are the same as the Vanguard so the pricing is usually a bargain. I believe I saw a used .270 S&W 1500 at Gunbroker Clackamas the other day for $399.

Howdy,

My favorite rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard (Howa Rifle made in Japan). Approx 4-$500 new. Shoots Great 1moa with Federal BTSP (165 gr.). Mine in 3006...I'm sure its available in 270. 6 elk and 12++++deer all on public land (except one spike deer). Bimart has really good prices! Good Luck, Barney

I have a hunting rifle that I am going to replace. I want to get a 270 win. I am wanting something in the realm of 500-700 bucks (scope not included). And I want long range accurate. This will be a backup hunting rifle for deer and elk. (I have a 25-06 for deer, and a 300wm for elk).

What would be my best bet in that price point?

The 270 Win is a superb accurate cartridge. I have seen 3" groups at 500 yards with it. But there are the factors of the shooter and the testing of loads, and preparations and shooting conditions. Plus individual 270 calibre rifles can vary greatly in their own right. Quite frankly I would favor the 270 over the 25-06 for all but small game within each rifles performance realm. In fact I believe the 270 might shoot a little flatter than even the 30 magnum. I'll have to look up bullet weights, ballistic coeficients and normal muzzle velocities to tabulate a trajectory and energy comparison. If you have these numbers, send them and I will try it out.

I just bought a used S&W 1500 in great shape for $300 with scope in 7mm Mag. I already own one in .30-06. The Smith & Wesson 1500, the Weatherby Vanguard, and the Howa 1500 are all the same rifle with minor variations in stock and options. They all shoot 1 MOA out of the box. You can buy a new one without scope for exactly your price range $580 for blued and about $700 for stainless. If you buy a used one call Howa with the serial number. There's a recall on the bolt on older models (it can be put together wrong if you take it apart), but they do an upgrade on the bolt at no charge and the turn around time is about a week.
You interested in selling the 7mm 8f you still have it

Sadly, I would avoid any new Remington offerings until the new owners achieve their mission of bringing back the quality. They are still selling rifles that contain pre-existing parts that are are substandard. Older, like at least 20 years, is better.

I'd personally look to Ruger American or Savage for a third and backup hunting rifle. They are accurate and inexpensive. For me hunting gear should be easily replacable and nothing I would cry over if it got a scratch or ding. The triggers in the pair of Savages I bought last December are fantastic and I understand that the American is it's equal.

Consider a 7-08 as it brings more versatility. It's an efficient short action cartridge so the rifle will be shorter, lighter, and handier. Run the ballistics and you will see it's capable of hunting to the longest distances most should hunt for humane kills.

Don't kid yourself that this is an under powered cartridge. It's absolutely fine for Elk, and has more power and better penetration than the 308 past about 200 yards. IMO very adequate for long ranges as well as being better for humping through hills or brush country. You just might find yourself preferring it over the other two.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top