JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I go through various thoughts on projects. Some don't survive longer than "Oh, how about ..." stage, while others linger on, and some come to fruition. One I cannot get out of my head is a light, short, silenced, lever-action in .38 Special/.357 Magnum. I've already got a 9㎜ silencer that works wonders on the carbine it is currently attached to. Now, I've seen some modern leverguns that are already threaded, but they are stainless steel and plastic. I can roll with the aforementioned, but not the latter.

So, what be recommended if on wished:

• A traditionally styled (blued steel and wood) lever-action in .38 Special / .357 Magnum.
  • That could have the barrel threaded to ½x28 pitch relatively easily.
  • Is reliable out of the box. Or, put another way, isn't a dumpster-fire, quality wise.
What say you? Winchester, Marlin, Rossi, something else? Thanks friends. :)

Thank you @User 1234 .

zeV4dKV.png

Daaaaaamn! Be still, my beating heart! OK, this one I had not seen. In the morning I will be exploring this option further. :D

The guys out at Brimstone Gunsmithing had a suppressed lever action on their web page for a while. They're good guys, they could sell you the suppressor and thread the barrel in one stop...:cool:

I've got a Winchester .44 Mag lever action in the safe. Let me tell you, magnum pistol calibers in short carbines are no joke.

As for which rifle / carbine...
At one time I owned a Uberti 1873 carbine in .45 Colt...the overall quality of the carbine can not be stressed enough...it also shot very nicely.

I have also owned in the past many Winchester model 94's both carbine and rifles , pre and post 64...I really like the pre-64 rifles the best.
Most of the 94 carbines do not fit me , so they can be difficult for me to shoot well.
A Winchester '73 from 1889 was once in my gun safe...

Many Marlin carbines have come my way as well...the 336 , 36 and 1894 in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum have been mine.
I have like them all...excepting the crossbolt safety on the later models...

Rossi seems to be hit and miss....I have shot several and those seemed fine in the looks , quality and handling department...but then I have also seen many at gun shows , that were as ugly as five miles of bad road.
Andy

Here is the one and only Lever gun I have...actually its now my daughters...a Marlin 36 from 1947 in .30-30
DSC03366.jpg

The guys out at Brimstone Gunsmithing had a suppressed lever action on their web page for a while. They're good guys, they could sell you the suppressor and thread the barrel in one stop...:cool:

I've got a Winchester .44 Mag lever action in the safe. Let me tell you, magnum pistol calibers in short carbines are no joke.

Around 1850fps with 240gr ammo and an 18'' barrel.
Not bad when you consider the 30 carbine went to war with a 110 grain bullet going 1950fps.

Sneak peek of a little fun gun @Velzey just finished for me.

Not a lever gun, yes it is 38/357. Definitely unique.

If Velzey wants to put a zoomed out pic up that would be cool, otherwise I will once I get it.

1FF75D57-97EE-4CB9-96DB-41F5CE6819DF.jpeg

Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun, threaded, mag tube shortened just enough front sight reinstalled, mag tube support moved just enough.
Noise reduction was downright impressive on full house loads. Ear
Protection not needed.
AF302531-B835-4BC3-977C-78C7CF6C857A.jpeg
8C644712-813A-458F-AA01-83E68AD08542.jpeg

Do it, the action is very fun and the quietness is interesting, recoil is next to nothing. I had a Winchester 94 tracker that was in .45lc that I had cut down and threaded. Very fun gun, I didn't know how to shoot lever guns when I made a youtube video of me shooting so it's a bit dorky.

I have a Taurus lightening pump action in 45lc now that's very fun suppressed.

Next project will be a silenced mare's leg 357 or .22lr.

It has been on my mind for several years to have a threaded lever gun to supress with the intention of hunting with it. Here are my thoughts and my current situation. I researched hard and came to the conclusion a 45-70 was the correct choice. This is mostly due to too slow of twist rate of the other chamberings in lever guns. Most have 1:38 and would not properly stabilize the big subsonic chunks of lead I wanted to use. So, I ordered a Remlin guide gun in 45/70 from my lgs for the project. When it arrived, it had some major issues and I refused it. The lgs offered to order me a Henry instead and I accepted. A few days later I was thinking about project and realized the Henry would not work with supressor due to tube feed design. Duh! I took delivery and ended up selling the Henry without even shooting it. So, I was back looking for an of the shelf Remlin with acceptable quality. In the meantime, I found a beautiful jm Marlin from a member here and bought it. I just can't bring myself to thread it. So, I am still looking for a Remlin to thread. I did build a 458 socom and developed 500 gr sub hunting loads for it. I hunted with it this fall but did not get an opportunity to harvest a deer though. It is very accurate with sub loads but not as quiet as a lever would be. Still on the hunt for that Remlin lever.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top