JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I haven't done it myself, but JWR of survivalblog.com writes in his book "how to survive the end of the world as we know it" - (paraphrased) storage life is less than white rice, approximately 8 years. For storage, use a food grade plastic bucket. keep in mind, food grade storage buckets are oxygen and gas permeable, ad will not store food by themselves for long periods of time. A mylar liner will greatly lengthen the storage life. To pack : line a bucket with a food grade mylar bag and fill with (whatever is to be stored, in this case, brown rice) fill the bag within 1 inch of the top. place 2 oxygen absorbing packs (available from nitro-pak) on the top of the rice. Next, place a small chunk of dry ice on top of the rice. once the dry ice has sublimated to a size no greater in diameter than a nickel, and no greater than 1/8" thick, seal the mylar bag with a wire tie. on top of the sealed bag, place a 2 oz. bad of silica gel dessicant, then seal the bucket (either with a gamma seal lid, or common lid with an o-ring that is hammered in place). Hope this helps. The book i quoted is a wealth of knowledge on many subjects, and cheap as well. happy prepping. 

Ok I can see the trade value on a single meal. But this does not seem like a good deal for normal use. I would rather seal up enough rice for at least a couple of weeks in a single packet if I was to go that rout. I look at it this way why waste the absorbers and the bag on a single serving? If and when SHTF you can always open up a package and trade from there. I would rather seal up a 5 gallon bucket or at least break it up into 2 bags in one 5 gallon bucket. I use buckets but also seal in mylar inside the bucket. And last I do not think that vacume packing and then throwing them into mylar would work. Just my thoughts.

...storage life is less than white rice, approximately 8 years.

Don't think I'd ever heard a number for storage time, just that brown doesn't last as long as white.

A tidbit I picked up on TV the other day is that parboiled rice (Uncle Ben's Perverted Rice) retains the nutrition of brown. The parboiling drives the nutrients in. But I agree, I prefer the flavor of brown over white.

MrB+
--
Still working my way up to being an A--

Hey guys,

can you point me in the right direction as to where I can find some cheap but reliable supplies?

Im in need of some mylar liners, food grade containers (im paying 5-6$ each right now), and oxygen absorbers.

thanks!

Brown rice is only good for a few years because the fats are still there (vs white where they are removed) and the brown rice goes rancid. You may open your brown rice packs to discover they are nasty and inedible

Don't store more than you can eat in about 2 years, and rotate it into your diet. For the long term storage stick with white rice, if properly packed away it's good for longer than you will live

Hulled oat groats are also an excellent storage food similar to rice and IMO just as versatile, and tastier

Can I make a post without a BS-PC cut-out? PLEASE?
I buy 50 pound sack put in big plastic bag put indeepfreeze for 3 weeks to kill weaveil eggs, et al
bring back to normal temps (hence plastic bag)
get 2, 5 gallon plastic buckets with gamma screw lids, install another plastic bag pour in rice, add a larel leaf job done for about 10 years!
PS I'd skip the laurel leaf (gas) and you'll eat 25 pounds of rice a year easy about 9000 calories!
So about 24, 5 gallon cans per year to keep you alive for a year, enjoy
PS never ever sign your name to nutting, if it gets into a software system that gets hacked baddies will have that info

Check out these sites, <broken link removed>

and <broken link removed>

I ahve bought from both, the 1 gallon are cheaper from LDS,

hey thanks!

Is there a significant difference between MYLAR bags and the "dry pack pouches" that are offered at LDS? the dry pouches use aluminum instead of mylar. I just want to be sure before i drop the cash. thanks!:s0043:

also, will i need to buy one of those fancy sealers? Ive heard of resealable bags than you can seal up with an iron.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top