JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bought one today for $299 and hope to get the Remington $100 rebate someday. The gun has great ergonomics and is a bugger to tear down, but it will get easier. The mags won't feed if they have the full 7 rounds, but I suspect they will be ok after awhile. I shot a couple of magazines here at home and it functioned fine. I'll take it to the range soon and report back. R51.JPG

I'm with ya. I have seen so many reviews that I decided that I needed to reach my own conclusion. I didn't mention the trigger. It is a bit heavy with zero creep and breaks clean. The $200 deal got my attention.

Driving me crazy I cashed in my vacation time right before winter layoff and was going to pickup one of these as a treat for an outstanding year at work. And then it became very clear the original hood for my Willys Jeep Project just wasn't going to cut it. So I forked out $375 for a repop hood and gave up the idea of another handgun this year. OH well.

Nothing is more important then getting the Willys finished I been working on it for a total of 5 years now and I have at least another one to go. Though the money side of the problem is about done. I got parts and pieces and pretties and stuff piled up all over around here. And if I can ever get past the Body work part of it. It then just becomes a big erector set I have to finish the assembly on.

Bought one today for $299 and hope to get the Remington $100 rebate someday. The gun has great ergonomics and is a bugger to tear down, but it will get easier. The mags won't feed if they have the full 7 rounds, but I suspect they will be ok after awhile. I shot a couple of magazines here at home and it functioned fine. I'll take it to the range soon and report back. View attachment 407356
Where did you find for $299?

Where did you find for $299?
Cabela's in Eugene has them for $299. Sportsman's in Albany has them for $329. They wouldn't price match Cabela's sale price, but ended giving me $30 off if I bought something else( Box of ammo). They are having a black Friday sale price but the kid claimed he didn't know what the price would be. I had a GS call all his sources and he couldn't find any. Albany had two more.

Cabela's in Eugene has them for $299. Sportsman's in Albany has them for $329. They wouldn't price match Cabela's sale price, but ended giving me $30 off if I bought something else( Box of ammo). They are having a black Friday sale price but the kid claimed he didn't know what the price would be. I had a GS call all his sources and he couldn't find any. Albany had two more.
Thank you. I may have to go buy one at Cabelas......

I shot this thing a little today and don't have much good to report. The trigger is physically short and hurts my finger when I fire it. It's beer can accurate at 15 yards. The grip safety has a pronounced click when engaged. I'm going to completely disassemble it and see if I can improve it any. I don't understand how Remington could release something this rough feeling. That's all for now.

Last Edited:
I shot this thing a little today and don't have much good to report. The trigger is physically short and hurts my finger when I fire it. It's beer can accurate at 15 yards. The grip safety has a pronounced click when engaged. I'm going to completely disassemble it and see if I can improve it any. I don't understand how Remington could release something this rough feeling. The pin that captures the ejector etc is too short and I don't know how it functions properly. That's all for now.
Sorry to hear that... this is why I have not been able to convince myself to buy one. I love the idea and want it so badly to work, however it appears that most do not perform well... Hope you can figure out some easy fixes.

I have one of the original Remington Model 51 pistols. Mine was made in the early 20s, has the same hesitation lock action, and is an amazing shooter. No problems in hundreds of rounds and looks like it came straight from the factory. But the were all hand fitted guns, which is the difference, I think. Good luck getting it working. It's a great concept if they can just get it right.

I went into Sportsmans with full intent on buying one($200 after rebate is a great deal) but that grip safety is completely unnatural to me... if I ever had to use it in self defense, It wouldn't engage and precious seconds would be wasted trying to adjust my grip to get the trigger to pull. I wouldn't buy an ugly, uncomfortable pair of shoes that forced me to change the way I walk, no matter how good the deal...

wow, making that analogy just blew my mind... women do just that all the timeo_O

I think it's a good looking little pistol but can't justify buying something new and expecting problems. I am still on the fence about the RP9, but after hearing Remington is heading for bankruptcy I decided to pass.

I miss all my old P7's, and cannot justify the cost of buying one. Hence, I really like the concept of the R51.
$199 is attractive, the big take-away I get from the reviews is, "when it works, it's great. If I could only figure out how to make it work."
Most reviews complain about the trigger, the mag feed problem, and all mention what a major PITA it is to strip and clean. Guns like that don't get shot - my Sig Mosquito being one.
The final killer of the deal is when I actually handle one, it feels like holding a ruler.

The fix for the mag is easy and how in heck Remington accepted a 6 round mag and called it 7 is hard to comprehend. I took about 3/16" off the follower feet and it accepts 7 rounds nicely. Now if I could just find the dang sear spring

Remington won't sell me the spring the basturds. I have to send the gun it. Brownells has it

Last Edited:
I got the gun up and running. I smoothed sharp edges and polished the trigger bar and some other contact surface. I gently stoned the sear and hammer hook and put a bit of grease where it should be as well as on the grip safety block. I also softened up the edges on the plastic trigger that I wish was bigger. The gun is pretty smooth now and the grip safety isn't quite as clunky. I kind of like it now, but need to shoot it. It was a bugger to get back together. It took this guy almost 2hrs and he's done it bfore!