Remington 514 bolt action .22

Reactions
I went out today with the express purpose of finding an older beat up single shot .22 for packing along with me while camping and the like. I wasn't feeling very picky, and figured I would end up with an old beater Sears or Stevens or something along those lines, but ended up finding exactly what I was looking for with a top shelf brand name to boot. Including the background check, I paid just $85 for my Remington 514 (circa 1950), and I love it. I managed to run a box through it already and it is perfect. I love the incredibly simple action and adjustable sights, and unlike a couple other .22 rifles I have tried the bullet goes exactly where you aim it every single time. The only thing it is lacking, for my needs, are some sling mounts but that can be easily fixed.

Anybody here have experiences or thoughts on these rifles? So far I can't find anything wrong with mine but everybody here has a lot more knowledge than me.

Thanks,
Jordan

Reactions
My 10 yr old is now shooting the 514 BR (boy's rifle) Remington that I got when I was 7 yrs old back in '66. It has the original shortened stock and Lyman 57 peeps. I shot it all thru college and then some with a second stock that was 'adult size' from some african surplus (apparently they used the 514 for training somebody!). Still shoots fine, we compare groups at 25 and 50 yds, it's always a competition it seems...

Standard velocity ammo seems to work best but you have to look for it a little harder. I also smoothed the sear engagement somewhat as the pull is kinda long and creepy. Extractor needs a little cleaning these days but otherwise fine. Parts from Numrich still available Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Reactions
Mine is just like Throck's. Only with a 10 round "clip." "Clip fed" is Remington's term for the 511, not mine!
It's my 2nd, and shoots just as well as the first.

Nice score on the M514, at that price it was a smokin' deal.

Reactions
I got a Reminton 514 in single shot. I just got done shooting it. It was my dads and it came as a full size rifle. And honestly its the best little bolt action that ive had the pleasure to shoot. I can put all the shots within 2 inches at 25 to 50 yards with open sights. On a stable stand and with a good target i can knock the red out. it really is a testament to the remington line of firearms.

Reactions
I got a Reminton 514 in single shot. I just got done shooting it. It was my dads and it came as a full size rifle. And honestly its the best little bolt action that ive had the pleasure to shoot. I can put all the shots within 2 inches at 25 to 50 yards with open sights. On a stable stand and with a good target i can knock the red out. it really is a testament to the remington line of firearms.
That was my very first rifle my dad bought me back in 1963 for my birthday. I wished I still had it. It was a nice, well made, accurate little rifle. I have never sold a gun since, and never will. That will be my wife's job when I take a dirt nap.

Reactions
My mom bought mine with 7 1/2 books of S&H Green stamps! I still own it and it shot just fine.

Reactions
It is a shame that many of these fine rifles were turned into arcade games. I remember being at Disneyland in the old penny arcade and recognizing that the arcade shooting games had real 514s with the bolt welded and the barrel shorten with electronics added to be turned into these games.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Upstanding Vendor!
    Have worked with this business twice and both times were outstanding! Will definitely keep going to him when I'm up in that area! Shoot, will...
    • HA556
  • Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
Top Bottom