JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went out today with the express purpose of finding an older beat up single shot .22 for packing along with me while camping and the like. I wasn't feeling very picky, and figured I would end up with an old beater Sears or Stevens or something along those lines, but ended up finding exactly what I was looking for with a top shelf brand name to boot. Including the background check, I paid just $85 for my Remington 514 (circa 1950), and I love it. I managed to run a box through it already and it is perfect. I love the incredibly simple action and adjustable sights, and unlike a couple other .22 rifles I have tried the bullet goes exactly where you aim it every single time. The only thing it is lacking, for my needs, are some sling mounts but that can be easily fixed.

Anybody here have experiences or thoughts on these rifles? So far I can't find anything wrong with mine but everybody here has a lot more knowledge than me.

Thanks,
Jordan

I just got bacck my rem. bolt rifle after a FIFTY year seperation. :)
it's got a five shot mag,but other than that it's the same as yours.I never missed what I was aiming at as a kid,they are very good shooting rifles. I sent many a gar fish to the bottom in the florida canals with it in the late 50's.

View attachment 187237

My 10 yr old is now shooting the 514 BR (boy's rifle) Remington that I got when I was 7 yrs old back in '66. It has the original shortened stock and Lyman 57 peeps. I shot it all thru college and then some with a second stock that was 'adult size' from some african surplus (apparently they used the 514 for training somebody!). Still shoots fine, we compare groups at 25 and 50 yds, it's always a competition it seems...

Standard velocity ammo seems to work best but you have to look for it a little harder. I also smoothed the sear engagement somewhat as the pull is kinda long and creepy. Extractor needs a little cleaning these days but otherwise fine. Parts from Numrich still available Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

Mine is just like Throck's. Only with a 10 round "clip." "Clip fed" is Remington's term for the 511, not mine!
It's my 2nd, and shoots just as well as the first.

Nice score on the M514, at that price it was a smokin' deal.

I got a Reminton 514 in single shot. I just got done shooting it. It was my dads and it came as a full size rifle. And honestly its the best little bolt action that ive had the pleasure to shoot. I can put all the shots within 2 inches at 25 to 50 yards with open sights. On a stable stand and with a good target i can knock the red out. it really is a testament to the remington line of firearms.

I got a Reminton 514 in single shot. I just got done shooting it. It was my dads and it came as a full size rifle. And honestly its the best little bolt action that ive had the pleasure to shoot. I can put all the shots within 2 inches at 25 to 50 yards with open sights. On a stable stand and with a good target i can knock the red out. it really is a testament to the remington line of firearms.

That was my very first rifle my dad bought me back in 1963 for my birthday. I wished I still had it. It was a nice, well made, accurate little rifle. I have never sold a gun since, and never will. That will be my wife's job when I take a dirt nap.

My mom bought mine with 7 1/2 books of S&H Green stamps! I still own it and it shot just fine.

It is a shame that many of these fine rifles were turned into arcade games. I remember being at Disneyland in the old penny arcade and recognizing that the arcade shooting games had real 514s with the bolt welded and the barrel shorten with electronics added to be turned into these games.

The thing I love about the Remington 514 is the wide open access to the chamber. Today's bolt action single shots require juggling the round into the chamber!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top