JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The news outlets are saying that Glen Campbell is considered the bridge between pop and country music in the 1960-70's, and that is exactly right! The guy was ridiculously popular, even among hard corps rockers like me! They are also saying that he is best remembered for his hit "Rhinestone Cowboy." Really? Perhaps in sales, but he had a lot of other hits too. My favorites are Galveston and Wichita Lineman! Guy made a lot of beautiful music! RIP, Glen!

Something that not everyone may know, is he was a savage beast studio musician, early in his life, playing with "The Wrecking Crew" who were used for a ton of very popular artists in those days, including the Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher to name just a couple. It was common practice to use studio "ringers" to get recordings done quickly, and accurately as a cost saving method. Any way, a little trivia about Glen,

The news outlets are saying that Glen Campbell is considered the bridge between pop and country music in the 1960-70's, and that is exactly right! The guy was ridiculously popular, even among hard corps rockers like me! They are also saying that he is best remembered for his hit "Rhinestone Cowboy." Really? Perhaps in sales, but he had a lot of other hits too. My favorites are Galveston and Wichita Lineman! Guy made a lot of beautiful music! RIP, Glen!

And the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, Gentle on My Mind.:s0155:

Something that not everyone may know, is he was a savage beast studio musician, early in his life, playing with "The Wrecking Crew" who were used for a ton of very popular artists in those days, including the Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher to name just a couple. It was common practice to use studio "ringers" to get recordings done quickly, and accurately as a cost saving method. Any way, a little trivia about Glen,

From what I heard, he was asked to become a permanent member of the Beach boys, but turned it down because he wanted a solo career.

Ray

No kidding Garg, it's a fascinating story about Campbell's studio work. He and about 10-20 other mainstays made countless BIG acts who cut albums in LA sound great. If you listened to popular radio in the 1960s, you heard the Wrecking Crew - a lot.

Between Glen Campbell and Tommy Tedesco, more than a few groups with gold and platinum hits had trouble performing live on tour with guitarists unable to replicate some of the amazing solos conceived and recorded on their records by those two aces.

RIP Glen.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews