JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

It's a slightly compressed load.

I suspect the deaf bird man is either slightly amused, or annoyed at the direction of his thread. Heck, amused and annoyed may be the same thing to him :D

New to reloading or believe in unicorns? There's NO 2,650fps 9mm load (well, McNett might have one) out of a 4" barrel. Try it, and your bubblegum (gun) will done blow up (bad, bad, bad hurt).

.I suspect the deaf bird man is either slightly amused, or annoyed at the direction of his thread. Heck, amused and annoyed may be the same thing to him :D..
Hey, I'm no thread Nazi.

th?&id=OIP.M304a04883b937bb621e722aa6071e8eaH0&w=181&h=164&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

I give you 3 out of 5 flattened primers.
lol

th?&id=OIP.M304a04883b937bb621e722aa6071e8eaH0&w=181&h=164&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

I had a coupe friends years ago who were... Adventurous. One had s desert eagle and the other one loaded for it.

So it seems that this desert eagle was a POS. it was one of the very first. Well it wouldn't cycle with anything but the hottest loads so Mike pushed these loads hotter and hotter WAY passes the max in the manual. (This was before the Internet) and ended up with a really compressed load 357.

Well that Desert Eagle ate it just fine but John the owner developed suck a bad flinch that he sucks at handguns to this day.

Anyway we had access to a gun shop and the owner would take us out on Sunday and shoot his used inventory with his add and end ammo. (It was sweet) so one Sunday we took the rest of that 357 load out with a used 4" Python to shoot it all up.

Huge gouts af incandescent muzzle flash and flame. Loud like a Barret. Really made you feel unsafe.

After about 10 rounds the grips were loose. After about 15 rounds the cylinder stopped rotating when some spring fell out. We stopped there.

So when I ask what the real maximum load means I am always thinking of Mike trying to mash more powder in a 357 case.

FWIW i watched all that from a few benches away. Didn't actually want a turn.

There's probably a character limit on post length, so likely there's no possible way I could list my screw ups.

What immediately comes to mind is a 1,412fps 124gr 9mm load.

Out of a 4" barrel.

And, I pulled the trigger 3 times.

I now wear Spectra gloves, and turn my brain ON when I load :)

Sounds like it made major 9 quite easily.

Speaking of "fail", the one real reason I rue being banned from the highroad is because of "Clark".. pretty bigtime poster in the reloading section. He's from the PNW. Anyway, everything he did was not a "fail" (lol) but a purposeful endeavor to essentially try to blow up every gun he could lay hands on. Epic stuff complete with chrony data.. all particulars.. to include eight foot .25acp barrels. did I say lol?

Double charge 30/06 under a 180 spitzer! Big fire ball and lots of smoke! Set the brush on fire 20 feet out in front! Now its my normal load............just kidding! Also over seated a .375 Weatherbey Mag. Boy did that stick the case! Thank God it was a Mauser with a big claw! Have blown up cast bullets from my 45/90 trying to ring a cow bell at a grand! That's a funny sound! So far I have not done a really bad one, but there is still time!

338 Lapua, loading from my recipe notebook. Put a 300gr Berger on top of the powder charge for a 225 Hornady, which was about 5gr over max load for the Berger. Had to hammer the bolt open & back, then had to use a 1/4" steel rod wrapped in electrical tape to hammer out the case because my aluminum rod couldn't take the hammering.

Almost found out the hard way that crimp rings on a bullet should
never be taken for gospel.:confused::eek::eek:

"Crimp Rings", referring to the canelure? Please 'splain it for me. I always use the canelure on jacketed bullets so the crimp has a place to be.

338 Lapua, loading from my recipe notebook. Put a 300gr Berger on top of the powder charge for a 225 Hornady, which was about 5gr over max load for the Berger. Had to hammer the bolt open & back, then had to use a 1/4" steel rod wrapped in electrical tape to hammer out the case because my aluminum rod couldn't take the hammering.

Was it accurate?
Silver Hand

Double charge 30/06 under a 180 spitzer! Big fire ball and lots of smoke! Set the brush on fire 20 feet out in front! Now its my normal load............just kidding! Also over seated a .375 Weatherbey Mag. Boy did that stick the case! Thank God it was a Mauser with a big claw! Have blown up cast bullets from my 45/90 trying to ring a cow bell at a grand! That's a funny sound! So far I have not done a really bad one, but there is still time!

How do you blow up a cast bullet?
Silver Hand

Was it accurate?
Silver Hand

Don't know (prolly not). I was in a clear cut, shooting an old SCBA air tank gong at 800 yards, ringing it regularly. Target was ~6" wide by 20" high. This one didn't hit. The recoil was significantly more, and when I grabbed the bolt and it wouldn't budge even with a hard pull, I knew I had eff'ed up. After hammering back the bolt, pulled out my aluminum rod (always bring when shooting) and it wouldn't budge the case with moderate whacks.
IIRC, I had just gone from 250gr Scenars to the 300 Begers. It was the first bullet of a row of them, but I was done for the day. I mark powder type and charge with a sharpie on every cartridge I load, which is how I discovered my mistake. One line in my notebook had the Bergers, the very next line was the Hornadys.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top