JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine just bought his first ar15 and is low on ammo. I have around 300rds of one time reloaded 223 ammo. I mainly shoot ak so i really dont have a need for these. What would be a fair trade or dollar value or should i just keep and shoot the ammo myself. I have shot reloads before without issue. Just tryn to get him ammo to fill his mags, he bought 15 mags recently and i told him i had these. Thanks for the help/advice.

I would say to keep whatever you decide to yourself.

I will also mention that selling or bartering your reloads is a federal offense without a type 06FFL

If you want to "help him" do you have components? If so you could loan him your knowledge and tools. Let him roll his own. Failing that how good a friend? If his gun blows up in his face, are you sure he is not going to go after you with a lawyer? You need to remember if the gun KB's it may have nothing to do with the ammo you rolled and sold him. Will he see it that way if he gets hurt?

Friends always get "family deal" pricing. My friends are worth a lot to me.. certainly more than any ammo profit (not saying that's a bad thing, just telling you what's important to me personally).

I sold a friend 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $500 just a couple months ago. It feels good taking care of my friends. I lost money, but it doesn't matter because it's a friend.

It's my understanding that you only need a license if you're in the business of selling ammunition.
If you sell your handloads, or even barter with them you are considered to be in the business of manufacturing ammunition.

you can sell and trade already manufactured ammo of course as long as it came from an 06FFL

I will also mention that selling or bartering your reloads is a federal offense without a type 06FFL
This is a very common misconception, but not technically correct. If selling reloads for profit/as a business or livelihood, then you absolutely need a license, even if it's a very small business. The guys selling zip-lok baggies of reloads at gun show are foolish, in my opinion.
Selling/trading some excess to friends or family is absolutely not illegal. The liability issue is another matter, as pointed out.

You'll find varying opinions on the issue here, from hard-core folks who only ever shoot their own reloads in their own guns, to those on the other extreme.

Whatever you do, it's wise to consider the amount of care you put into your reloads, balanced against any liability concerns for whoever you may be sharing with. I will occasionally share my reloads, but only with certain people, and I have a very high degree of confidence in the safety of my handloads.

The legalities of selling reloads has been hashed and rehashed many times on every gun forum at one time or another. The line itself as to what constitutes business/livelihood is rather ambiguous, but the fact that there are two sides of the line is very clear. It may not be wise, but it is legal to sell the occasional reload.

Last Edited:
I like the way this is dealt with in the classifieds on this forum. Reload (non-commercial) are not allowed on the ammunition section, but they are in the reloading section, but as "components only". I think that's the smartest way of dealing with something like this.

I would say to keep whatever you decide to yourself.

Not true. the wording of the Federal rules for selling ammo you have made reads almost exactly like the wording for selling a firearm without a FFL license. It is purposely left vague, but says You must have a license if you are in the business of making and selling ammo, and make a substantial income from it! So selling off some extra ammo you have in the garage is not Federally illegal.
And as a hobbyist, Your home owners policy will cover you to the limit of the policy. A mistake reloading would be covered the same as if you hit someone with a stray golf ball, a line drive playing baseball, or if your dog bit someone.
Check that with your own policy or ins company, But mine covers me! When I had an 06 FFL and ran a business I had to have commercial ins. But now that I am a retired hobbyist, My home owners policy covers my hobby's!
I do give ammo to my kids and grandkids, and it is as safe as any they could buy! And I do sell a few custom made bullets, to friends. Mostly shapes and sizes that are hard to find.

So unless there is some local law preventing it the OP could sell them to a friend . But If it were me.... Id take him shooting and just provide the ammo. Let him keep and store the ammo he already has. Maybe he will want to invite you to shoot with him when ammo is easier to get! DR

Friends always get "family deal" pricing. My friends are worth a lot to me.. certainly more than any ammo profit (not saying that's a bad thing, just telling you what's important to me personally).

I sold a friend 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $500 just a couple months ago. It feels good taking care of my friends. I lost money, but it doesn't matter because it's a friend.
If i sold a case at 500$ of 556 id be making about 220$ i guess that means im old and bought at the right time. I always sell at my price to my friends.

Thanks for all the input! Appreciate your input and points of view. i hope soon our local gun stores and bimarts get back to normalcy! Hope everybody here is well stocked, and if not will be soon for a good price. Im still kikn myself for not buying more 9mm at 170 shipped.. i got a few atleast. Wish we could all trade ammo and quit having people feed the scalpers.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top