JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any old timers on here that went through a reduction in stuff due to age or other reasons?

Start a family and sell of due to growing family?

Got sick and needed to sell off due to bills?

How did you go about deciding what goes, what stays?

Looking to hear a few stories on the subject from like minded individuals.

Yes, I know this thread is not for everyone, so please try to refrain from trying to shift the subject towards something else.

Thanks!

Reno

Time marches on. I expected this but not so soon. Ask family if they want stuff. Ask the good will second hand stores if they want stuff. Give it away. If you want to sell the good stuff understand you will NOT get retail. The word fire sale comes to mind.

If you have not used something within 6 months get rid of it. Use any bucks generated to go visit Hawaii. :)

Are you talking firearm related stuff? You've been on the fence for a while IIRC.

I went through a downsizing about 14 years ago. At one point I was down to one pistol and a shotgun. Life happens. I didn't lose any sleep over it. :)

Speaking only for myself...
While I like , owned and have shot , many different types of firearms , I decided long ago , just what really interested me and have been steadily going in that direction.

Many and varied are reasons for this..
Cost...
Practical use..
Historic use...
Ease of getting ammo...
Enjoyment of some types of firearms more so than others...

The most important reason for me at least , as to what to focus on , is the "enjoyment" factor...
While shooting any firearm , to me is enjoyable , there are designs and styles that I prefer over others , so it made sense to me , to sell or trade off those that did not fit in.

Please do not read into the above as a commentary on what one should own or should do...
I was only referring to myself...
What someone else chooses to shoot and own , is their business and should be left up to them to decide.
Andy

I purged damn near everything before I left Flagstaff. I chose one handgun, one shotgun and one rifle. Everything else (60+guns) got sold.

I kept most of my tools with some exceptions.

Other personal items that had no sentimental value got sold.

My basic criteria was if I hadn't used it in 2 years, it went up for sale.

If it is "stuff", put into boxes. Label the boxes with what is in it. Date it. If you don't open the box in 3? 5? years, get it gone. It obviously wasn't "needed" that bad to take up space.

I've got a few boxes setting right now.... :oops:

How did you go about deciding what goes, what stays?

I hate clutter so I try to live pretty streamlined. If I haven't used it in 2-3 yrs, or if it doesnt serve a reasonably foreseeable purpose, it goes. I dont keep stuff for guns I dont own, and i dont own guns i dont use.

If you start stressing about the stuff you own, it probably is starting to own you, and its probably a good idea to downsize.

Ahhh the good old days when I lived out of a duffel bag and a wall locker. Sigh, good times... Life is full of changes though, different phases. The key is to keep them in check and not let them foil your perspective. But life is about changing, and suffering, but I digress.
Somewhere along the way you start to get stuff. Then you get a family and you get more stuff. Then your family gets stuff and the cycle continues. The flat spaces that you took for granted in your youth are no longer existent. Your stuff eventually starts to own you. Stuff sucks, flat spaces rule. Can't take the cr@p with you when you take the dirt nap so live to create more flat spaces. There, that was easy. :rolleyes:

Are you talking firearm related stuff? You've been on the fence for a while IIRC.

I went through a downsizing about 14 years ago. At one point I was down to one pistol and a shotgun. Life happens. I didn't lose any sleep over it. :)
Definitely been on the fence, you can say that. Devoted so much to it, from working in the industry to the non profit, the gun stuff is going to be the hardest leap I might make for something different.

Guns, ammo, reloading, hiking, fishing, tools, silver, etc, I've got a lot of stuff!

Wife finished her masters, kids almost 2, house has no yard, possibly looking to move...

Lots of things floating around in my head.

Thanks for all the positive posts guys!

It helps, I've been kind of down lately trying to figure what's next.

Past reasons:
Moving
Medical
Divorce​
Now because I'm generally full of it. Took 8 boxes of stuff to Goodwill in the past three weeks. Feels good.
Have another 14 or so boxes from moving an office.
Though the Rolling Stones' song "Sweet Virginia" from Exile on Main Street has an altogether different meaning, the chorus line
Got to scrape the shît right off your shoes
is quite appropos.

Every spring we go through everything (Clothes especially) and give or sell things we haven't used in the last 12-24 months.

Now If I could just get my family to stop asking if they can store stuff in my shop...:(

Wow, this is a topic, huh?

I see lots of "if I haven't used it in ## years, it's gone... That's too broad of a blanket for me personally. I have many things I've not touched in ## years that I wouldn't ever consider getting rid of.

Each item needs to be evaluated, sentimental value, regretability, market value, on and on and on.

Although I believe we fill our lives with unnecessary objects, you and only you, and perhaps your spousal unit can make the determination of what goes and when that happens. Remember one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Don't liquidate and then have regrets... It's called sellers remorse. I've experienced it...

house has no yard

I would find that depressing. I don't mind yard work and it's great to have a place to play with the dog, do projects, sit and drink ice tea, etc.

Edit: As for the original question, I would definitely do a Marie Kondo if I were feeling that way.

Last Edited:
You have a two year old. An outside play space would be a good thing.
I don't know if you have a dog, but kids and dogs are a pretty good thing too.

I never had kids, so that's my only family advice. Uncle GOG. ;)

A place to grow a family sounds like a good plan.

This is strictly one old mans opinion, so just take it or leave it.

Over the course of my life, the least important things have turned out to be things.

Unless it's an heirloom or something you feel you must keep, look at it as stuff. Maybe cool stuff, special stuff, but it's still just stuff.

It's an opportunity to pass on the enjoyment of said stuff when it becomes "new stuff" to someone else.

I don't use a system because some decisions must be emotionally driven. But I do seem to intuitively know what should/can go. I bet you do too.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews