JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was wondering if anyone is using a Red Dot installed as a dove tail on their pistol. Would like to know their thoughts. Many insist that a red dot should be installed on a slide that has been milled or designed for red dots. Yet, I have heard nothing bad about dovetail red dot installs. Would like opinions please.

I've had customers that use them on several different guns successfully and have others that have never been able to get them to hold zero even on 9mm. It seems to be about 50/50 from everyone I've personally sold them to. Milling the slide is ultimately the better option, but there are a couple guns that can be tricky to have milled.

I have used Dueck Defense plates that slide into the dovetail on a Glock allowing you to mount a RDS without milling your slide. It works but it puts the optic quite a bit higher than I prefer.

Height is the issue. Although I do have a dot mounted on a pic rail on one of my .22 range guns, for carry guns and better performance, most will prefer a dot mounted lower and milled into the frame.

I put a free Sig Romeo Zero on an M&P using a sight-dovetail plate from EGW, to try out red CF pistol dot sights on the cheap. That was almost 2 years ago and about 15+ steel matches. It's holding zero just fine. I probably will eventually have it milled for an SRO, but I'm a cheap bastard and it's working fine.

It can work, but its a "work around" to the real solution. Also if your not hand fitting the dovetail to the groove then you either get lucky or it wont hold.
Todays manufacturing has got away from hand fit dovetail sights in lieu of set screws and its a shame.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews