JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
oli700,

I envy/respect your gun build/ammo build abilities.

Some of us non-build guys aren't into it because we turn up our noses. That's not at all the case...

What many aren't willing to admit is...some of us: 1. have almost zero skill/knowledge to build an AR and know diddly squat about reloading and 2.possess two left thumbs except in very gross motor skills. Sure I can use a delta tool to change out a hand guard...with a lot of cussing and wife helping. Put the new one on backwards to start and thus reveal my Homer Simpson mechanical skill...

I didn't install the Geissele triggers, a skilled person did it for me.

However, I'm a good utility shot and can handle firearms quite competently.

Not the same thing as building, but with a decent quality factory AR, I'm still formidable if need be...

oli700,

I envy/respect your gun build/ammo build abilities.

Some of us non-build guys aren't into it because we turn up our noses. That's not at all the case...

What many aren't willing to admit is...some of us: 1. have almost zero skill/knowledge to build an AR and know diddly squat about reloading and 2.possess two left thumbs except in very gross motor skills. Sure I can use a delta tool to change out a hand guard...with a lot of cussing and wife helping. Put the new one on backwards to start and thus reveal my Homer Simpson mechanical skill...

I didn't install the Geissele triggers, a skilled person did it for me.

However, I'm a good utility shot and can handle firearms quite competently.

Not the same thing as building, but with a decent quality factory AR, I'm still formidable if need be...
All good . I love turning people onto building . It's awesome to create , usually I give out all the tools
so no investment is needed on that front , I'll even go hand and hand with a person and when the light bulb goes on it's what I live for . Reloading is much more technical and have tried to teach folks but don't have the patience for it . Just throwing rounds together yeah that's easy to teach safe reloading but the science and meticulous method needed for next step ammo is tough to convey. A person must have the interest that's for sure

I did not see a mention of the Sig Sauer rifles. I have two M400s, a carbine and a pistol with brace. I have about 4700 rounds down range between them ,mostly with 62gr green tip. They are both 1/7 twist so prefer the heavier bullets. No ftf or fte and a bit better accuracy than my buddy's Colt ( don't know what the model is). One feature that is included is molded-in QR sockets for slings. Ambi-safety and mag releases are present.
They do everything I ask of them.

Regards,

ezra

Sons of Liberty Gun Works. These guys build rifles you can depend on to defend your life. Their quality is second to none. You can pay more for names. Every single aspect of their rifles are built specifically to NOT fail. The Colt LE6920 is a great rifle and is the standard of modern ARs. Of course if you can afford it....Noveske, Daniel Defense and BCM are all great. Radian is top notch as well.

I had the same question, and researched the factory ARs extensively. I'm not a soldier or involved in combat situations and mostly wanted a 556 to have and use for sport shooting. I put in the extra time and researched parts & manufacturers and purchased all items to build my own. I've been happy with the Aero/BCM AR I built. Figuring out what I wanted too far longer than the assembly process and the rifle has been reliable and fun.

I've shot a few dozen ARs and some felt better than others (weight/ballance) but they all got the steel to ring down range.
Either way you go I'm sure you'll have success. I guess the only question is would you have fun researching & assembling a rifle?

I usually advise people who don't know exactly what they want to buy a decent basic rifle and swap parts around. Build it out until you find what you like.
On the other hand, if you know exactly what you want, you can usually find a manufacturer that will sell it to you cheaper than you can build it.
My faves bang for the buck? Windham, Ruger, Smith and Wesson.
The ones I own and love? Sig 516 SBR. Sig Rattler Pistol. SMOS GFY Pistol. Seekins NOXs LMT MARS.
The SBR and the pistols are all set up as PDWs. The NOXs is set up as a race gun. The LMT is a tool. They are all perfect for how I use them. And they're all very good at turning money into noise.:)

I too have been impressed with palmetto state armory for the price and quality.

Having said that I give Spikes Tactical some serious style points and stag arms has yet to dissapoint me.

Or you can just buy a mostly finished chunk of metal or polymer and a drill from harbor freight and craft something that you can feel good about. (It just might take a while and a few tries) Also the drill might have pieces break off of it during the process, harbor freight isn't high quality.

I saw a LWI direct impingement carbine at a gun show and liked the color. Plus it had all left handed controls. I decided to keep my Daniel Defense. Lately I have been shooting my beater truck gun the Bushmaster. I just sunk $300 into it and it still has the original trigger. I would say get a nice lower and then whatever uppers to suit your needs.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top