JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have a few Ruger AR556, like them. Recommend them to acquentences who've asked about semiauto sporting rifles. Quite a few have asked recently.

Have a colt 6920 Magpul, like it, but not worth the $ compared to the Rugers. IMO.

Never tried a S&W sport though, so can't compare 1st hand.

Anything above $600/700 range, better off building up something specific for intended purpose these days. Given the market, IMO.
Thanks!

I've recently given up building myself, I found a rifle that beat my build price and had all the boxes checked.

The Rugers seem like a great basic rifle. I've seen them go on sale for close to $400. I think I'll snatch one next time that happens.

The Colt 6920's are decent shooters, as well as any other decently made mil-spec ar15.
I didn't really like the Springfield that I had, it was rattlier than I liked.
Personally, if I was to buy a "factory" rifle, I would buy; (sort of ish in order, more by cost)
Palmetto state armory
Colt/Ruger/S&W
Daniel Defense (if you want to spend more $$$)
Or....
I would buy a complete upper, and buy a bcm complete upper, add a bcg, and have a really good shooter or a pretty lowish price.

Really like my S&W M&P-15 Sport. Mine is the original version lacking the dust cover and forward assist but did come with the better barrel (1 in 8" twist, 5R rifling). Has been very reliable and surprising accuracy, even with bullets as light as 40 gr.
Today, if I were looking for an entry level AR, I would check Palmetto State Armory for both complete rifles as well as finished uppers and lowers (sometimes cheaper than completed rifles and snap together).

For a factory built I prefer Colt 6920 or 6940.
If not factory I hunt and pick high end parts and build what I want.
If your shooting will typically be at limited (100 yards or less) and / or indoors I'd suggest looking at AR's chambered in 9mm. Less expensive to shoot and less muzzle blast.

I would agree with most posts here, but I wouldn't recommend the Springfield Saint nor call it "upper mid level". The comparison of the Saint to a Colt is just not fair.
Of course it is.

It's more evolved than the basic, garden-variety 6920 if you were to compare the specs and see them side-by-side.

Here's a few upgrades that the Colt does not have...
Mid gas and correct muzzle-to-FSB dimension
No useless M203 cut-out (even M&P got rid of that)
Receiver tension system
Upgraded NiB trigger
Better rear sight
BCM handguard
BCM buttstock
BCM pistol pistol grip
BCM trigger guard
"H" buffer

It's really not a fair fight if you compare them side by each.
The Colt is loved by many but their civilian AR offerings are very basic.
I don't own either, but I have handled both and the Saint, IMO, is the better buy.

Of course it is.

It's more evolved than the basic, garden-variety 6920 if you were to compare the specs and see them side-by-side.

Here's a few upgrades that the Colt does not have...
Mid gas and correct muzzle-to-FSB dimension
No useless M203 cut-out (even M&P got rid of that)
Receiver tension system
Upgraded NiB trigger
Better rear sight
BCM handguard
BCM buttstock
BCM pistol pistol grip
BCM trigger guard
"H" buffer

It's really not a fair fight if you compare them side by each.
The Colt is loved by many but their civilian AR offerings are very basic.
I don't own either, but I have handled both and the Saint, IMO, is the better buy.

Mid gas is an advantage, although not "better".
M203 cutout? That's strictly opinion and doesn't affect reliability.
Receiver tension system? I do like them.
NiB trigger? Meh, what advantage?
The sight, and all the BCM furniture are add-ons, and not even very good ones.
Buffer? Unless the rifle doesn't cycle correctly that's a moot point.

I am by no means a Colt fanboy, Ask anyone around. But let's not put the Saint up on a pedestal for some furniture, a mid-length tube and a barrel profile that offers no advantage ok? I can buy a PSA with ALL of those and more for less. You still haven't said what makes the Saint BETTER or "Upper-mid range".......

The first thing to ask, what is it going to be used for...and how often?

General shooting/plinking or more of a self-defense rifle?

For general shooting now and then, just about anything mentioned will fit the bill.

For self defense and hard use; Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Sons of Liberty Gun Works and Patriot Ordinance Factory...can personally vouch for all of them.

The first thing to ask, what is it going to be used for...and how often?

General shooting/plinking or more of a self-defense rifle?

For general shooting now and then, just about anything mentioned will fit the bill.

For self defense and hard use; Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense, Sons of Liberty Gun Works and Patriot Ordinance Factory...can personally vouch for all of them.

I'd have no problem running a Ruger, SW or even a PSA (in a pinch) for SD or hard use. Check out Iraqveteran8888's YT channel for meltdown videos. The M&P did exceptionally well.

Last Edited:
They'll ALL fail, and within close proximity of each other. Colt, DD, BCM, etc aren't "bullet proof". Metallurgy only goes so far.

Even piston rifles fail around the same mark, no wonder they are fading away in popularity...

But yes, there are some real dogs out there too. ATI comes to mind. Stick with a known brand with good reviews and you'll do just fine.

I admire those who build/assemble an AR15 from scratch, but (...and I'll bet quite a few others) I'm not into doing such.

I buy already to go AR's. That said, I've changed out all the furniture on my AR's, plus swapped out triggers for Geissele triggers, the stock trigger was crunchy and awful, added optics, upgraded the charger handle.

Yes, grown men (me for one) do like to dress up their AR barbies...

I admire those who build/assemble an AR15 from scratch, but (...and I'll bet quite a few others) I'm not into doing such.

I buy already to go AR's. That said, I've changed out all the furniture on my AR's, plus swapped out triggers for Geissele triggers, the stock trigger was crunchy and awful, added optics, upgraded the charger handle.

Yes, grown men (me for one) do like to dress up their AR barbies...
I'm 50/50 on this as of lately.

I bought my first complete way back when. A DPMS, which was one of 4-5 options at the time.

Then spent the last 8 or so years assembling them using the plethora of available options that have come and gone over the years. One of my first stripped lowers is now probably a priceless artifact since the company no longer exists. I can only imagine how many companies pumped out lowers and parts that are no longer with us.

Now I've noticed that the market really is trying to put good AR15s out that have all the stuff you would want as is at remarkable price points.

The market is in a slump, that is for certain, the upshift that took place under Obama is now in full sell off to keep money flowing. This is great, as their are more options than ever before and at incredible prices, even with all of the companies that were dropping out, as there are new ones popping up even still.

Building ....I remember realizing people take short cuts when building .
I didn't get it , you have it all in front of you and have an opportunity to assemble a better than factory rifle but you don't take all the little steps , all the little things people think isn't nessicary is what have given building a partial bad name .
Another funny deal is when you talk to somebody be about a build and realize they bought a complete upper and basically put the two halves together then say " yeah I just finished a build "
I build exclusively . I know that I am very picky and all the little things matter. I spent a few years in the firearms industry , SHOT booths and the works . I know I want to build my own and when you build something for yourself you are getting what you put into it.
Seen lots of Friday guns from " good" companies . I never build myself a Friday gun .
Even better is building ammo to go with it . Build a gun from the ground up then build ammo the gun likes . For me the feeling of putting that all together to an inch group is unbeatable . I have rifles I built that have never seen a factory round that shoot moa all day .

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top