JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard great things about the American, but my favorite rifle platform is the 77 MKII or Hawkeye and each one I've had has been a very good shooter. Either way, you won't be sorry.

How much of your money am I authorized to spend?

I've owned 3, so I can tell you about them.

My first one was a Wby Vanguard. Still own it and like it. It is the sub-moa version with the Bell and Carlson stock. Will consistently shoot 3/4 inch groups with occasional 1/2 inch groups. Great rifle for sage rats. The 22 inch barrel makes it handy, but it is a heavy rifle due to the stock. Shoots good off a rest, shooting stick and a bi-pod. Not great for carrying around due to the weight.

My next .223 was a Remington model 700 VSSF II model. Still own it and really like it because it is so accurate. If it shoots a 5 shot group over 1/2 inch I'm disappointed. It has an H.S. Precision stock, 26 inch fluted barrel and now has a Jewell 1 lb trigger. It too is heavy but lighter than the Wby. It shoots great off any sort of rest and can be carried, but I wouldn't want to carry it all day. I have put a Nightforce 15-55x on it for my upcoming sage rat trip and will zero it at 300 yards for longer shots only. With 50 grain Z-max bullets the thing shoots fast and flat and will be hell on these fur balls this year.

I had a Savage LRPV .223 and was not happy with it. The one inch diameter, 26 inch barrel made it terribly barrel heavy. It would shoot okay, but always wanted to throw one shot, or do a 2 in one hole, 3 in another hole group. Never did figure it out. Ended up selling it, and have since given up on Savage rifles.

Not a .223, but I have a Cooper .20 caliber bolt single shot rifle. It shoots groups in the .3s and smaller. If you have the means, a Cooper would be what I would buy. The quality, smoothness and the accuracy of a Cooper will put a smile on your face.

If I was to buy a light weight .223 I would either get a small contour barrel Wby Vanguard/Howa or a Tikka.

I'd opt for the Hawkeye, since it is twisted right (1 in 9). The older mkII's had 1 in 12" twist rate barrels, which limit your use of bullets (I wouldn't use anything heavier than a 55gr. pill in one). The Hawkeye (on the other hand) can handle pills up to 69gr's with no problems at all (from personal experience). The exception to my statement above about the MKII's is the target/varmint .223 rem which has a 1 in 9 twist rate barrel. I have one and it is damn accurate with just about any bullet I've tried in it:

My rifle easily shoots sub moa "All day long". However, the OP is pretty vague. It would be nice to know what you are looking for in a rifle: Weight requirements, bullet weights you plan on using. The distance you plan on shooting will help determine the appropriate bullet weight and twist required to properly stabilize those bullets. Is this going to be a varmint rifle that you will shoot from the bench more than pack around? Do you want a lightweight yote rifle? What are you really looking for? Help us out a little more and we will gladly help you spend your money...:p

IMG_0616_zpsahv9llhe.jpg

Last Edited:
I have a fair amount of 5.56/.223 ammo. It would be for plinking, maybe ground squirrels, perhaps in a state unfriendly to ARs.
The MVP does sound promising.
Brutus Out

Rugers Gunsight Scouts are chambered in 5.56 now as well.

I have the .308 version for a hunting rifle and it is incredibly accurate, mag fed, scout or regular scope mounts as well as ghost ring iron sights.

Best bolt gun I own.

Rugers Gunsight Scouts are chambered in 5.56 now as well.

I have the .308 version for a hunting rifle and it is incredibly accurate, mag fed, scout or regular scope mounts as well as ghost ring iron sights.

Best bolt gun I own.

+1 on the Gunsite Scout - nice rifle. But I've also heard very positive things about the Mossberg MVP - bonus that it takes standard AR mags - you could just get 10-rounders for CA - would be cheaper than the Ruger mags for the Scout. Ruger also has the American Ranch available in 5.56 as well - if their American Rimfire models are any indication, it should be a good rifle too - and not too spendy.

CZ 527. Excellent factory triggers, great reliability. The 527 comes in several flavors as well: mannlicher stock, bull barrel, carbine model with irons, or scope only, 1:9 twist, and great looking wood stocks.

I've shot the 527 FS, 455 FS, and my personal 455 with Boyd's stock and suppressor BLvWJf2.jpg and they are all wonderful.

Savage 10FP.
Threaded and suppressed.
Does pretty well with 55gr plinking ammo. Been able to get good groupings (2 MOA diameter @ 200yds - blame the shooter, not the gun)
It's a bit heavy, but given that I only shoot paper, i'm ok with that.
Haven't tried any heavier projectiles to see if I could gain some more accuracy there.
I really like the trigger (Accutrigger). Nice, light pull, crisp break.

Link to 10FP. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_10FP
1:9 twist
26" barrel
11.75lbs
Mine has the Choate stock.

Comparing that to my (308) 5r Rem 700, I actually prefer the Savage's trigger, but to be fair, haven't adjusted the Rem. trigger yet.

My son has one of the varmit grade Mossberg MVP's long fluted barrel. He uses metal 10 rd AR magazines and we have found the rifle to be very accurate and functionally near perfect. He has a Mueller 4.5-14X-50mm mil-dot scope on it and in the three

I've got an old Kimber model 84 in .223. Most accurate rifle I own. Possibly the prettiest too. Twist is 1 in 12 though; kinda wish it was tighter. Can't have everything.

I bought it while we were shopping in GI Joes years ago. Wife comes up and points, "What's that rifle? It looks very nice." Said I didn't know, salesman hands it over. I start drooling. Card on counter said "All .22's 10% off." I smiled at him, said this was a .22. He groused a bit then said OK. Wife said "Buy it." I didn't have the heart to argue with her.

I sent it out to have the Black Star treatment. That was a big thing in those days. It's got a little Leupold 2x7 Compact on it, with Conetrol rings. Looks very classy with its tiny Mauser action. Stock is laminated, maple I think.

I also have a Kimber M-84 in .223. Lots of custom work at the factory (I was employed there). Extremely accurate, it's serial number is my initials and DOB!

I think I would go for a Ruger! Maybe the scout.

I'm really happy with my Mossberg MVP Patrol. I don't know if its something you would be interested in something like that, but they are fairly cost effective. Also they use regular AR magazines so from a 5 rounder to a 100 round surefire / drum, sky is the limit !