JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just picked up my first AR Pistol and would really appreciate recommendations for red dots from other AR pistol owners. I plan to use iron sights for a while to attain some level of competency with the firearm, then move to the red dot. Also, what range are these being sighted in at? AR pistol barrel length can very from what I'm seeing from on the low side of around 9.5," to what appears to be almost SBR length at 12.5". What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
JP9

FWIW, for me iron sights are pretty much useless on an AR pistol (10.5 300 BLK), may work better with your eyes however. For a red dot I run a Burris fastfire 3 zeroed at 100 yards.

I like the SIG Romeos or the Nikon P-Tactical Superdot for solid budget red dots. Vortex Crossfire has been ok, too. Depending on the caliber I usually zero for 50 yards.

Eotech is amazing for CQB configuration.

After much research, I found the 10.5" barrel to be the best compromise of balance with velocity and portability.

I've now configured mine like a recon pistol, with an 1-6x LPVO, but I'm still torn on what I like better.

Just picked up my first AR Pistol and would really appreciate recommendations for red dots from other AR pistol owners. I plan to use iron sights for a while to attain some level of competency with the firearm, then move to the red dot. Also, what range are these being sighted in at? AR pistol barrel length can very from what I'm seeing from on the low side of around 9.5," to what appears to be almost SBR length at 12.5". What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
JP9

I'm a big aim point fan, 5 year battery life always on.... not as much wizz-bang, just a red dot that is always there.

This is where the Aimpoint Micros really shine IMO, MRO would be my second choice. If going with the absolute smallest footprint and can can live with an open emitter than the RMR is good option.

Thanks,
JP9

I have the HK Styled iron sights from Diamondhead

And I have Eotech 512 / 552 with co-witness on the irons.
This is on my AR-15 pistol (5.56) and my two AR-15 SBRs (300blackout).

What is the downside of having an open emitter RMR or going holographic as in the Eotech. It seems like I would have faster target acquisition, but I'm speaking academically. The Trijicon, Aimpoint and other higher end options would probably come later as I have more personal experience, or perhaps not if I could get away with a budget offering as the Sig Romeo. What is going to be the major differences I experience between RMR/holographic and a more enclosed scope like platform used on Trijicon, Aimpoint or Sig Romeo? These irons I'm reviewing from the suggestions look way more likely a candidates then the MagTech BUIS I was considering.

What is the downside of having an open emitter RMR or going holographic as in the Eotech. It seems like I would have faster target acquisition, but I'm speaking academically. The Trijicon, Aimpoint and other higher end options would probably come later as I have more personal experience, or perhaps not if I could get away with a budget offering as the Sig Romeo. What is going to be the major differences I experience between RMR/holographic and a more enclosed scope like platform used on Trijicon, Aimpoint or Sig Romeo? These irons I'm reviewing from the suggestions look way more likely a candidates then the MagTech BUIS I was considering.

Open emitters are more susceptible to debris and element such as rain and possible damage. PA did a pretty decent write-up of the pros and cons of red dots vs holographic sights awhile back.
https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/ho...=BUTTON_1&utm_campaign=20_10_AD18b_HoloVsRedD

Here is a buyers guide that may be of interest, there are several other on this website but this is for red dots and holographic sights.

https://sageratsafaris.com/master-list-of-red-dots-and-battle-sights/

Open emitters are more susceptible to debris and element such as rain and possible damage. PA did a pretty decent write-up of the pros and cons of red dots vs holographic sights awhile back.
https://www.primaryarms.com/blog/ho...=BUTTON_1&utm_campaign=20_10_AD18b_HoloVsRedD

Here is a buyers guide that may be of interest, there are several other on this website but this is for red dots and holographic sights.

https://sageratsafaris.com/master-list-of-red-dots-and-battle-sights/
Great! Thanks for the links.

I run a LCO and it has been my favorite so far.

2D1BFB68-A713-4AA5-A4B4-38357DC089B1.jpeg

Aipoint T2 would likely be my first choice...or whatever other Aimpoint you prefer. Or if you were looking for something more low profile, then a Trijicon RMR. Assuming you will be running a brace of some sort, I'd sight it in at 50 yds just like my rifle...but I'm partial to a 50 yard zero, in general. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top