JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a question about your guys primer usage with .223. The Lyman book is using Remington 7 1/2 for all loads. The Speer 14 book is using Standard CCI SR 400, and on some powders using CCI SR 450 magnum. I don't have either of those but I do have CCI 41 primers. That's the only two sources I've checked so far. I had bought H335 for loading .223. I feel I could probably use any small rifle primer in a pinch. Or, I also have data for H4895, IMR4064 and IMR3031. I'm kind of surprised those last three would be listed for .223, seeing as I've been using them in 06 and 6.5X55 loads. So I do have other powder options. And if it matters, I'm using Hornady 55 grain FMJ BT with a cannelure.

Doesn't make much difference, #41's are just a little thicker to help prevent slam fires, you can use any of them. You can use any of them and the bullet won't effect primer type.

Thanks for the reply.
I only included bullet style/weight in case there might have been a reason to shy away from a powder because it might be less than ideal for the weight from, someone's experience.

As I've come to understand, magnum primers have a thicker cup too. So when magnum primers are recommended is it because a particular loading has a higher pressure spike? Or, certain powders need a little more "flash" to get a proper burn?

Little of both for magnum primers and as for powder I wouldn't use imr4064 or H4895 for 223/5.56 waste of a powder charge not sure about imr3031, of what you listed I'd stick with the H335.

Seems strange to me a rather small cartridge shooting a relatively light bullet is using powders in the realm of large cases and 150 grain bullets. All I've loaded in long gun is 06 and 6.5 Swede. Somehow I thought I'd be looking at faster powders for this. I'm set to load .30 Carbine too. I'd read somewhere that the original military powder used was H110. So that's what I have for it. When the time comes. I figure have good case fill is pretty important to.

It's all about the burn rate of the powder.
Oh I keep a burn rate chart within reach all the time! I consider it one of the most important resources, to help know what's going on in your gun, that you can have. I was just kind of surprised that we are staying with the medium burn rates and not speeding things up a bit with light weight bullets and smaller cases.

Here's a quick list for 55gr fmj 223Rem.
Screenshot_20220420-142948_Hornady Reloading.jpg Screenshot_20220420-142955_Hornady Reloading.jpg

H335, WC844, Ramshot Tac and X-Terminator...all about the same burn rate.

I've used all makes of small rifle primers with the above powders...no problems.
Kind of funny you mention all those powders. IF, I hadn't picked up this 335 back when you could still just order some up, or buy it off the shelf, I doubt I'd have it now! TAC? Isn't that one of The "Holy" powders for .223? If you did find it there would be a beam of light descending from the heavens to illuminate it? Right there on the shelf? LOL

I've been loading .223 with TAC for several years with great results.

I went to it when I discovered it was good for .30-30 as well but since went with Unique for .30-30 reduced loads.
Now there's is another one of them "Holy" powders! I'm sure about the beam of light from The Heavens on that one.

I'm with the group, either CCI 400 or 450 will work with H 335. 450 magnum is recommended, but I use both with fine results. My favorite load is 25.0 gr. H335, 55gr. FMJBT, CCI 450/400 primer. Not picky about brass so much and never a slam fire of any kind. Good luck on this adventure!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top