JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went out to drive my old Toyota truck today and it wouldn't start. Just cranked and cranked. So I start checking ignition, distributor and plug wires. I finally got over to the fuel side and saw my rubber fuel line had been eaten in half by what I'm guessing was a rodent. New fuel line and rat trap were installed.

Fuel Line Toyota (Large).JPG

So I went out to drive my old Toyota truck today and it wouldn't start. Just cranked and cranked. So I start checking ignition, distributor and plug wires. I finally got over to the fuel side and saw my rubber fuel line had been eaten in half by what I'm guessing was a rodent. New fuel line and rat trap were installed.

View attachment 681700
My stepdad use to buy, sell and trade a lot of vehicles. One year, either one of them had a nest of packrats, or it was just a bad year for them. Anyhow, my job during the summer break (I was maybe 10) was to trap and kill them. For every one, I got a dollar. I don't remember how many I caught, but it was enough to keep me in BB's for a while.
If you have a young kid, good way to introduce them to hunting.

Yesterday I went out to start my Toyota truck and it wouldn't start. I assumed it was the battery because it had been sitting for so long and the battery seemed dead. I opened the hood and there was a mouse under there. I tried to kill it but the darn things are fast and small.

View attachment 681700

Could have been a tweeker that forgot his knife ?:s0140:

Yesterday I went out to start my Toyota truck and it wouldn't start. I assumed it was the battery because it had been sitting for so long and the battery seemed dead. I opened the hood and there was a mouse under there. I took a few shots at him but the darn things are fast and small.
Hope I didn't hit anything important.

:)

In Germany, it is common to have a so-called "Marderschreck" (marten repellent?) in the underhood. This is an ultrasound device that keeps pests away.

The cool thing is that the Germans have a word for everything. In English we have the word "defenestration" which literally means to throw someone out a window (why there were so many defenestrations that they needed a single word for it, I don't know).

That said, the Germans probably have one word for defenestration from a casement window and another for defenestration from a double hung window. Their language is amazing.

We had same problem with wifes Subaru. Had to have it taken back to dealership and new wiring harness installed. (Homeowners insurance covered it)
The mechanic told me they recommend dryer sheets. Replace every 3 months, The mice and rats do not like the scented sheets.
I used a metal paper clamp and put it under the hood and in the back by the fuel tank.
Haven't had a problem since.

The cool thing is that the Germans have a word for everything. In English we have the word "defenestration" which literally means to throw someone out a window (why there were so many defenestrations that they needed a single word for it, I don't know).

That said, the Germans probably have one word for defenestration from a casement window and another for defenestration from a double hung window. Their language is amazing.

One software project I worked on had to be localized for German, Spanish and Italian.

Germans create new words by stringing together other words. Some of their words get pretty long. It was sometimes a struggle to find a word that would fit on a button or in a field label without it being too long.

I had a friend come back from Hawaii after two weeks and had her engine wiring in her 4runner eaten.
it was all her fuel injector wiring.
I took her to Toyota who said all they could do was sell her a a complete engine harness for $1000.
So I spent over two hours dismantling parts and pulling out the damaged harness, cut, stripped, and soldiered it back together.
ran like a Toyota for another 6 years until she sold it. Probably still running the same

If you have issues with rodents, if not you, then your neighbors are providing them a food source.
Eliminate that food source.
They nest near what provides.
Eating food in your vehicles, having snacks in your vehicles for road trips, you're luring them there.
They'll destroy things at all cost for a bite of an energy bar or a french fry.

Not meaning to imply my comment is the wholly grail of an answer, but rodents are not dumb by any means.

My sister and her husband bought a home Mirrormont which on Issaquah Hobart Road. They had a mice problem where the mice got in and did $12K worth of damage to the insulation in their home. The mice chewed their way and got into the kitchen pantry and they were eating everything.

They have an exterminator show up regularly now to keep the mice problem in check. Even parked cars the mice go into vehicle and make nests in them if the home owners go on vacation for a while.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top