JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rainier Arms has a nice selection; they're on-line. There are all different flavors from drop in to proprietary barrel nuts for rails. All are reflected by prices for levels of complexity depending on your level of smithing. You might be limited but have better luck looking for an FDE rail on-line.

most aftermarket rails, you need change out the barrel lug.

Troy-Industries-Drop-In-AR15-Carbine-Rail-FDE.jpg

You have quite a few options available to you. You can simply buy a drop in rail/handguard (Troy makes quality drop in handguards, I think YHM makes a drop in model too). Also, if you're a fan of Magpul furniture, you could put an MOE handguard and add rails where you need them. If you are going to load your rails down with light, vertical foregrip, laser, etc...you might want to think about a free-floating system. Troy makes a free-floating rail system that works with your existing barrel nut, and does not require the removal of the front sight. I would recommend Troy (good quality, mid-range price), LaRue Tactical or Daniel Defense (great quality, high price). Free floating will take some of the pressure and weight off your barrel caused by the assorted gear attached to the rails. Some argue that a non-free floated adversely affects barrel harmonics and accuracy. If you only plan on using your M4 for home defense, the free-float issue isn't too relevant or important. The longer distances you plan on shooting, the more a free-floated barrel/handguard system benefits your accuracy. Free-float system also helps with heat...so they say.

The quad rail is so last decade. there are better options. Kong gives good advice.

what exactly do you want or need a rail system to do for you? if you want one just to look cool, go for it, but you may not like the weight and all the sharp corners when its time to operate the rifle. can you post up a list of gear you would like to attach to your weapon? we might be able to get you to the party under budget and under weight.

If you want a cheap drop in rail - you can get a UTG from places like Cheaper than Dirt or CDNN. If you want a GOOD rail - look to spend about $200 or more.

I recently replaced my rail and went with the Midwest Industries Super Slim gen 2. It has a 1.5 inch diameter with a top rail that acts as a true continuation of your upper's rail (if you have a railed upper, anyway). The rest of the tube is round, with places to bolt on rail segments where you need/want them on the 3, 6, and 9 oclock positions. The 10 inch rail I put on mine weighs in at 8 ounces, much lighter than the cheap POS free float that I replaced, and lighter still than the UTG rail that a friend gave me.

Curt's Discount sells this rail - I think the 10 incher (good for a carbine length gun) will set you back about $190. You'll need to replace the standard front sight base with a low profile gas block. This can run $10 to $100 depending on what you want. I opted for a Yankee Hill Machine piece I found on eBay for $15.

I recently installed a MI rail on my new build and am loving it so far. It's light and gave me room to mount a couple of hand stops and a light eventually.

<broken link removed>

Most major manufacturers make a drop in rail that you can install yourself. I would stay away from the utg crap personally. Cheaperthandirt.com, palmetto state, aim surpluss, stonefire arms, are all good places to buy from Just do some price checking to make sure you're not over paying.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews