JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went all in on the Radical 4th of July sale, picked up a complete 458 SOCOM and a 223 Wylde Stainless upper. Finally showed up over the last two days, and while I haven't been able to shoot it yet, I am quite pleased with the build quality. I look forward to sharing the experiment with you guys. Should be fun...

DSC_1542.JPG

DSC_1548.JPG

I waffled back and forth, the .50 is certainly cheaper to shoot but the ammo choices are so much better with the 458 that it ended up being an arrest choice. Just going to have to start reloading.

I am very impressed with the build quality, they seem very well put together. I'd have been happy with these at full price, getting both pieces for a grand, VERY HAPPY

That 458 will be a lot a fun. I have a blast with my 450 when I go out. Makes big holes. Looks like the die sets for that are easy to get and not to expensive. Definitely reload. Congrats

I have needed to start reloading for a while. I picked up a 22TCM the year before, and it's turned into my favorite thing to shoot. It's not the most expensive thing in the world, though the extreme ease of pushing 17 rounds through it in 10 seconds while keeping it on target is a problem. Apparently it costs very little to reload, given that I have tons of brass saved, and with local ammo availability nearly nil, it makes sense...

I was wondering where that came from. It uses 45-70 bullets, which is why there are so many bullet type choices. The Beowulf basically has big flat lump, slightly different big flat lump, or slightly larger big flat lump as bullet options. 458 has a ton of VERY nasty bullets to choose from. The controlled fracture and ARX rounds are both pretty spectacular...

About time they made something new. The ARX stuff looks to be a bit of fun, I've got a couple boxes already for the 458. Now they just have to make some controlled fracture and TTSX rounds and I'll need another pointless upper! If I'd found out they had ARX coming I may have gone Beowulf, if for no reason other than the much cheaper (for now, maybe always) ammunition...

Finally got to shoot it today. Sadly, still only had the 140gr @3000+ fps polymer ARX on hand. Fed just fine, after clearancing the front of the magazine, but the extraction is lacking. About half the cases would drop right next to the rifle, the other half stovepiped. Super easy to clear, but annoying. Going to try the 350 and 405gr stuff when it shows up, hopefully it will work better. Ordering a Tromix extractor in the meantime, supposedly that will help as well.

With the light loads it is a hoot to shoot, just a bit more than an AR10. The noise, well, that's a different story.

I had a watermelon on hand, but a video problem kept the carnage from being filmed. All I have is before and after shots. All that I can say is I have seen what a hot loaded 338 Win Mag will do to a watermelon, and it was pitiful compared to this. There was melon over 20 feet away from ground zero. :-D

DSC_1610.JPG

DSC_1611.JPG

Now you see it now you don't. Take some grapes with you next time, you'll see how accurate that thing can be.:p Glad the thumpers don't kick like 338WM:eek:. I reloaded a batch of my 450 bush with 300 gr XTP Mag's. They really go through the powder fast. Now I need to get out and try em. See if I did it right:D.

Headed up to Wolverton Mountain again in the morning, anybody that wants to check it out are welcome to sat hi (open range day). I got the heap of Underwood Controlled Fracture, and cleaned up some overly grabby spots on the extractor. Radical issued me an RMA as soon as I talked to them, but I want to try out the 300gr before I send it back to the mothership. I am pleased with their customer service thus far, a couple guys from the 458 group are having similar ejection issues, Radical RMA'd those and had them back in a week, ready to roll. Seems like these won't be my last Radical purchases. ;-)

Last Edited:
Totally spaced writing up the days happenings. The rifle now happily cycles the ARX without issue, but the 300gr Controlled Fracture from Underwood is now occasionally declining to eject.

Here's a quick clip of a few 2 liters and another watermelon. This one wasn't as spectacular as the last, but it still blew it up fairly well...

Radical still wants me to send it back, so I'm going to get it in the mail tomorrow so I can have it back in time to go shoot again on my birthday.

Thought I would revisit this. I took it out again today, for the first time since I sent it back to Radical. They sent it back with a D&H 50 Beowulf magazine. Everything works perfectly with that mag, guess I'll have to order another couple.

It now happily consumes every round I have gotten for it, it is a much happier rifle. Kudos to Radical for turning it so fast, they only had it 2 days, the swift work is appreciated, and paid the freight both ways. Now I just have to start reloading this stuff, $2 a bang and up isn't fun ;-)

The folks I have talked too have settled on Lil Gun, I figure I'll start there. I definitely look forward to being able to put 50 rounds down range without cringing at the end of each box...

What build are you looking at?

The folks I have talked too have settled on Lil Gun, I figure I'll start there. I definitely look forward to being able to put 50 rounds down range without cringing at the end of each box...

What build are you looking at?
want to do a short upper for a pistol lower I have floating around.....seems like it would be a nice short barrel cartridge

hate having to depend on magnum pistol powder, still scarce in a lot of places.......been seeing a good amount of H110

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top