JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody have any info on what to avoid or get. Want to keep it mounted behind headboard, maybe a 2nd one mounted under a table or on a closet wall. Looking for placement Ideas as well. Don't want one that is easily pried open.

I like the mechanical aspect, didn't know they existed! Would it pass the difficult to open with a pry bar test?

I ordered but have not received mine yet. Shotlock states 14 gauge steel and it looks like the lid goes over the box so it would be difficult to open with a pry bar.

31H6X4VnnJL._SX385_.jpg

The only small pistol box I know of that is truly crow bar resistant is from Fort Knox Amazon.com: Fort Knox FTK-PB Pistol Box Handgun Safe: Sports & Outdoors

That somb!tch is expensive, heavy and always out of stock. No way you could mount a heavy Fort Knox behind your headboard.

Some of the Gunvault brand boxes have standard override keys that can be picked open.

I have a gunvault, and I would buy one again. I don't use it for secure long term storage, only to limit access and have handguns at the ready for me. It keeps the kids out and keeps guests honest. If I am leaving the house, anyything that isn't going with me goes in the big safe.

I expect these lock boxes are intended to slow down a thief and keep those that live with you that shouldn't have easy access to a firearm (kids, visitors, angry wife). With enough time and tools any safe can be breached, the idea is if bad comes to your home they are looking for the quick and easy. I don't have a need for a lock box (Kids are grown, wife is an ex and all my firearms except for my CC stay in the safe) but if I did I would want one that is mechanical, what happened to the electric ones if the battery dies or it shorts out? Are you now in your garage looking for a big hammer and a pry bar?

I expect these lock boxes are intended to slow down a thief and keep those that live with you that shouldn't have easy access to a firearm (kids, visitors, angry wife). With enough time and tools any safe can be breached, the idea is if bad comes to your home they are looking for the quick and easy. I don't have a need for a lock box (Kids are grown, wife is an ex and all my firearms except for my CC stay in the safe) but if I did I would want one that is mechanical, what happened to the electric ones if the battery dies or it shorts out? Are you now in your garage looking for a big hammer and a pry bar?
Great!, now I gotta figure out how to keep the wife happy too! I am with you on the no need for batteries thing. Also I plan on getting creative on the placement of one of them so prybar resistant is good enough. The bed gun is going to be a P. I. T. A., I'll have to move it to a safer local when not at home.

I had a biometric handgun vault for this purpose. it sucked. if your finger wasn't just right it wouldn't open. it usually took three or four tries to get it to open

I have a gunvault nano vault deluxe.. Its absolutly worthless.
Broke the 3rd week we had it. I relly need ti send it it.
You cannot open it electronically, only manually with the key now.. Heck, I should have just purchased one with the roller combo locks and would have saved cash and time!

Although all my mini vault troubles got me thinking.. Whats the point!? If its locked its the very same as keeping it unracked or unloaded.
I have parasomnia (sleep walking) so when set down to sleep we keep the firearms on my womans side of the bed. Its enough trouble to where Id have to wake her to even think about running over and grabbing them.
Its NEVER happened and probably never will but all the same we dont take the chance. But again we leave them locked and loaded at all times.

Id suggest not purchasing a mini safe.. IMHO.

I've had 3 GunVaults. My first deluxe vault stopped latching closed after 4-5 years. Its replacement is holding up strong after a couple years (I think the latch has been improved).

I just installed a SpeedVault for another area of the house and its pretty nice too. Though I think the deluxe vault is sturdier the opening mechanism of the SpeedVault is slick.

The cheapskate in me is considering modifying my nightstand drawer with a latch/pin and a hidden ripcord to open it. It would keep the kids out and I would move the gun to a more secure location in the daytime anyway.

I have a Gunvault with the electric and standard tubular key lock on it. If you just want to keep a weapon safe from the casual visitor they're fine. Better than shooting your ear off because you kept the Glock under your pillow.

If you want something for security then you'd best just get a full-sized safe. 'biometric' devices can be fooled by anyone with hot glue and an internet enabled phone. The key lock can be defeated by a screwdriver and 1lb mallet.

It's pretty obvious but must be mentioned that any compact safes, even if bolted to a solid object, can be pried off and carried away to be opened at a later time/location. If you don't have kids or have young visitors then keep it in a drawer within arm's reach.

I have a gunvault deluxe. It is great for keeping honest people honest, and keeping the kids out of it. But anything short of an actual safe is not going to take long for a determined thief to get into.

I had a battery issue with my gunvault, called to ask about it, and they shipped me a new one and prepaid label to send the old one back. Great customer service.

My Shotlock 1911 was delivered today. It feels heafy and solid. It has two metal hooks that secure the lid down. It seems to be screwdriver, hammer and prybar resistant. A sledgehammer maybe able to bend the 14 gauge steel after several minutes, but you risk damaging the contents. It can hold my full size Beretta PX4 and my wife's Bersa Thunder 380 plus an extra magazine for each.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top